Sam & Max season's not working

edited July 2010 in Game Support
Hello, I just purchased the Telltale Game's Everything pack from Steam, and I'm having a few problems.

The other items (Strong Bad, Bone, Wallace & Gromit) all seems to be working well, but I can't get any of the Sam & Max episodes to start properly. Everytime I try to start an episode, a black box will pop up, and then the screen will flash between black and white untill I bring up the task manager to end it.

I have a Radeon HD 5450 video card.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: Also, while the game is flashing a black screen, I can hear the music for the opening playing a bit, so it's like it's running, but not displaying properly, or something like that...

Edit #2: Season 3 is working, but the first two are having the problem above.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Have you tried pressing ALT-Enter while the screen flashes?
    It should bring the game to windowed mode. Does it work windowed?
  • edited July 2010
    I just tried it, and it brings it to a windowed mode, but the screen is just white. It's not flashing anymore, but it's still not really displaying anything. I can hear the music playing though, so it's got to be some sort of display problem.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    To rule out a steam issue, can you try the free abe lincoln must die episode?

A dxdiag log might also help.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited July 2010
    Alright, I'll try the free episode to see if it will work.

I have the zip file attached to this post.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Fat4all wrote: »
    I have the zip file attached to this post.
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
           Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
          Monitor Model: SyncMaster
             Monitor Id: SAM03F1
            Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.954Hz)

It shouldn't concern the games, but is this right? It looks like your display is set to a higher resolution than it can actually show. That should result in missing details, such as fine lines, and strange looking fonts.
    User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)

Also you have your DPI set higher, possibly to compensate that.

I would try setting your resolution to 1680 x 1050 and DPI to 100% for a better display result.

Also there are new graphics drivers available for your system.
  • edited July 2010
    It might be because I and using an HDMI cable instead of a regular cable setup. I'll see if using my PC cable fixes the resolution. I have been having some problem's with the display, and that might be why.

Edit: also, that page you posted about the graphics driver is confusing me a little. what am I suppost to download from there? The site itself doesn't seem very clear, or I'm just a bit too novice of a user.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Fat4all wrote: »
    It might be because I and using an HDMI cable instead of a regular cable setup. I'll see if using my PC cable fixes the resolution. I have been having some problem's with the display, and that might be why.

Edit: also, that page you posted about the graphics driver is confusing me a little. what am I suppost to download from there? The site itself doesn't seem very clear, or I'm just a bit too novice of a user.

Can't you choose the resolution while you are connected via HDMI?

I would choose the "Catalyst Software Suite", top download button.
  • edited July 2010
    While my HDMI cable was plugged in, it only gives you the highest resolutions, and I think it was affecting my game's.

I'm using a regular cable now, and Sam and Max is working! Thank you for all the help you gave me. Ever since I got my new computer, I've been having problems, and now it's just about all sorted.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    I am glad it works now, although it's strange that you can't select the correct resolution with the hdmi connection. Did you try that again after updating the driver?
    Do you use DVI now?
  • edited July 2010
    yes, my pc came with a DVI cable, but there was a port for HDMI, so I just used it so I wouldn't have to use my old speakers. I'll try using the HDMI cable again after installing the driver.
  • edited July 2010
    Alright, everything is fixed now! The driver install is now allowing me to change the resolution while using HDMI, so I have it at 1680 x 1050, and Sam & Max is all working!

Thanks for all of your help!
This discussion has been closed.