Sam and Max Season 3 doesn't start after re-installing T_T

edited July 2010 in Game Support
This is kind of weird. You see, I had to format the disk drives and re-install Windows XP (SP3) last Thuesday because I had a problem, I installed all my Telltale Games again because I love have the Icons there, and just today I decided to try to depress space gorillas, and then the game can't run.

Appears a pop up indicating an Error in the Aplication, saying the aplication just cannot start and giving me the following number: (0xc0150002).

I tried with all my Telltale Games (Including Puzzle Agent) and with Team Fortress 2, and the only ones which cannot run are The Devil's Playhouse Episodes. Ironically, the games did run until I had to re-install my computer.

I tried uninstalling and installing, I tried uninstalling and running the Tune Up Utilities for erase stuff and I'm about to try by Desfragmenting, but I'm somewhat sure that will not work. Any ideas please?

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
  • edited July 2010
    No luck. Still the same problem. Thanks anyway :-)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    No luck. Still the same problem. Thanks anyway :-)

I see. Let's try running dependency walker, and opening the game executable in the install directory (SamMax301.exe).
    It could show useful error messages in the "Module" section.
  • edited July 2010
    Something is seriously wrong with my computer, but now I have no real time to fix it. And I'm serious...

I "installed" a second version of the same Windows XP in the partition. Basically, I left a second installation on hold without formating the old one, and now the thing WORKS. I don't know HOW.

If you can stand me, I'll try to do everything again after the wednesday, when it's my last test of the semester, if I had time. Now the game IN A WAY works, but not ideal in the slightless. But I'm more calm now. Thanks a lot for stand me.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Good luck with your exams. I just had the last one on Thursday, so i know how you feel.
    We can get back to this when you have more time.

Did you install the latest graphics and audio drivers and update directx in the new installation?
  • edited July 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Good luck with your exams. I just had the last one on Thursday, so i know how you feel.
    We can get back to this when you have more time.

Thanks a lot. Now I'm going to sleep... it's 4:30 A.M. here!
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Did you install the latest graphics and audio drivers and update directx in the new installation?

I installed the latest drivers from the official page and I updated the DirectX with the one which comes with the installer of the game. I have a Compaq 515 if thats useful somehow. And thanks a lot for the help.
  • edited July 2010
    I just ran into the same problem, also with a relatively fresh Windows XP install. (The last install managed to update itself into a completely unupdateable state. Don't ask me how that's possible. Windows Update just sucks like that.)

DjNDB was close: the DLLs that are missing are MSVCP80.DLL and MSVCR80.DLL and they are provided by the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 redistributable package (which is version 8.0; 2008 is actually 9.0). And apparently you need the SP1 version (the non-SP1 version that I tried first didn't install for me... no error message either... thanks Microsoft!)

Anyway, you'll need to install one of these depending on your OS: And then problem solved. But: bad developers! They're called redistributable libraries because if you plan to use them, you're supposed to install them along with your software, not assume they're already there!

By the way, GinnyN: maybe you could put the error code in the topic title too, to make the topic easier to find for others with the same problem?
  • edited July 2010
    Soultaker I could kiss you! I had this problem and nearly had an emotional breakdown trying to figure it out :P Thanks for posting this!
This discussion has been closed.