VirtualBox Blues

I have a Mac, and I have downloaded VirtualBox and used Windows XP as my host. I have some Sam and Max games in French that I've been hoping to play (and could only find for Windows) but I keep getting the ol' "Could not initialize Driect3D" message.

I've updated my Direct3D, I've downloaded VirtualBox Guest Additions, I've downloaded Wined3d to help, and I've installed it all on Safe Mode, but I still get that same error message. Also, when I run dxdiag, it says that "Several files (d3d8.dll, d3d9.dll) are old versions, which could cause problems.
You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version." No matter how many times I try to update, it still doesn't work.

Is there anything I'm missing in the setup?

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Virtualbox's 3D support is still experimental. The VMWare products are better for 3D Game virtualisation. Sadly there's no free player-version of VMWare Fusion.

If you want the best performance it is better to run the game on native hardware anyway.

Have you tried Bootcamp yet?
    What Graphics Chip does your Mac have?
  • edited July 2010
    Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Also, the last time I tried Boot Camp, it refused to Partition properly.

I've heard that VirtualBox uses the host's graphics chip to run the games, which is why my games keep saying they can't initialize what's not on the Mac. Is this true? If so, is there a way I can download Direct3D onto my Mac and have it run from there?

And if all else fails, does anyone know if they've translated the Mac versions of Sam & Max into French yet. (Except for Devil's Playhouse. I'm willing to wait a bit for that.)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Also, the last time I tried Boot Camp, it refused to Partition properly.

I've heard that VirtualBox uses the host's graphics chip to run the games, which is why my games keep saying they can't initialize what's not on the Mac. Is this true? If so, is there a way I can download Direct3D onto my Mac and have it run from there?

And if all else fails, does anyone know if they've translated the Mac versions of Sam & Max into French yet. (Except for Devil's Playhouse. I'm willing to wait a bit for that.)

How long ago did you try Boot Camp? The issue could be fixed by now.

One more thing: Did you enable 3D support in VirtualBox?
    If that's the problem uninstall Wined3d again, because it would probably slow down things even more.
  • edited July 2010
    I have a Mac, and I have downloaded VirtualBox and used Windows XP as my host.

I think you mean you're using Windows XP as a guest. The host is the operating system that you boot to to run VirtualBox, and the guest is any OS you run inside of VBox.

And as it's already been said, VBox's 3D acceleration is experimental. I also suggest using Boot Camp to run XP or Windows 7, then play your games on that.
  • edited July 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    How long ago did you try Boot Camp? The issue could be fixed by now.

One more thing: Did you enable 3D support in VirtualBox?
    If that's the problem uninstall Wined3d again, because it would probably slow down things even more.

Just enabled 3D support. The game actually turns on now, but the soundtrack skips, some of the images flash, and the subtitles flash for no reason.
    Also, having trouble finding Wine3D so I can uninstall it.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Just enabled 3D support. The game actually turns on now, but the soundtrack skips, some of the images flash, and the subtitles flash for no reason.
    Also, having trouble finding Wine3D so I can uninstall it.

It was expected not to work well... But that could also be a WineD3D issue. It looks like it replaces Windows DLLs, so if you don't have an uninstaller a system restore point before the installation is your easiest way to remove it.

Also your graphics chip is pretty weak, which makes it unlikely to run the game smoothly with the virtualisation overhead.

Your chances are best using Boot Camp.
  • edited July 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    It was expected not to work well... But that could also be a WineD3D issue. It looks like it replaces Windows DLLs, so if you don't have an uninstaller a system restore point before the installation is your easiest way to remove it.

Also your graphics chip is pretty weak, which makes it unlikely to run the game smoothly with the virtualisation overhead.

Your chances are best using Boot Camp.

Okay, I tried Partitioning it with Boot Camp, and this is the message I got "Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." I'mma try that next.
  • edited July 2010
    a fast question .. but why you've not tried wine directly?

If you install wine on your mac, you should be able to run the games with a very low performance decay (if any); as API layer is lighter than Virtualization...
  • edited July 2010
    Does Parallels or Crossover have better gaming compatibility than WINE?
This discussion has been closed.