TOMI not working

edited July 2010 in Game Support
Hi there, I just downloaded TOMI and it isn't letting me play any of the chapters.

The launcher opens fine, but when I click on "Launch Game!" the screen goes black for a second as if the game will start, then goes back to Windows with the following message "Monkeyisland001.exe has stopped working".

I'm running:

Intel i5 750
4GB RAM
ATI 5770
Windows 7 64 bit
Colour depth is set at 32 bit

All drivers are up-to-date and I have the latest version of directX installed.

Ideally I would love a fix to the issue so I can play the game, but if that's not possible, a refund would also be nice. :)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Do other Episodes of ToMI work?

Check your installers for transmission errors using a MD5 check.
    Also try a clean boot, to make sure no other software interferes with the game.

MD5 Check
    Please download and install Hashcheck.
    Then unzip and copy the attached MD5 File into the folder that contains the installers you downloaded from Telltale.

Finally just double click on the .md5 file for verification and tell us the results.
    Green: File is okay.
    Yellow: File is missing.
    Read: File is corrupt.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited July 2010
    Ok, tried all that, and a few things.

1) Clean boot didn't do anything

2) Dowloaded and installed hashcheck

3) Tried to unzip the attachment but Windows kept telling me that the folder was empty so couldn't do anything

4) Righclicked on the Hashcheck install icon and used "Create Checksum File" - used them on the TOMI folders and came up with "Unreadable"

Any thoughts?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    St00per wrote: »
    3) Tried to unzip the attachment but Windows kept telling me that the folder was empty so couldn't do anything

4) Righclicked on the Hashcheck install icon and used "Create Checksum File" - used them on the TOMI folders and came up with "Unreadable"

Any thoughts?

The zip should work fine.

Let's try the Alternative way:
    Right Click on "LaunchOfTheScreamingNarwhal_Setup.exe" and select "Properties/Checksums". After it has calculated the Values you can just select and copy+paste them here.
  • edited July 2010
    If everything checks out, try right-clicking on the shortcut, go to Properties, and enabling Compatibility Mode. Start with Vista SP2 and work your way back.
  • edited July 2010
    Great.. will give this a try when I get home tonight.. cheers!
  • edited July 2010
    Ok, so these are the values I'm getting after I run a checksum on the launch.exe file.. is it what you need?

File: LaunchOfTheScreamingNarwhal_Setup.exe
    CRC-32: b1fd14e7
    MD4: 5fa0f8a2b71afd47c4e1f4af44103290
    MD5: be68bcba18fb566a1bdd8ed6fc717325
    SHA-1: 8a9292d89fd5e7efe58e63dcfc84a05bf08ff1d6
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Ok, so these are the values I'm getting after I run a checksum on the launch.exe file.. is it what you need?

Yes. Your installer is fine.

Please post a dxdiag log for further diagnosis.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited July 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run.
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu

Holding the Windows key and pressing R is probably a more universal solution, even more so if you're running Vista/7 and your search indexer is broken.
  • edited July 2010
    Hope this worked! I'm a bit of noob with this stuff...
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Hope this worked! I'm a bit of noob with this stuff...

Did you try starting the game in compatibility mode as xbskid described?

You can also try disabling/disconnecting your second display before starting the game.
  • edited July 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Did you try starting the game in compatibility mode as xbskid described?

You can also try disabling/disconnecting your second display before starting the game.

Yeah, I tried starting the game in compatibility mod (all forms, from Windows 98 to Vista SP2) - didn't work.

Will try disabling second display tonight.. is there anything else I can try?
  • edited July 2010
    xbskid wrote: »
    Holding the Windows key and pressing R is probably a more universal solution, even more so if you're running Vista/7 and your search indexer is broken.
    Except that not all keyboards actually have a Windows key. My IBM keyboard for instance doesn't... :D
  • edited July 2010
    Ok I disabled by 2nd display and the game works now.

Don't know if that's what did the trick, but either way, thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.