Episode 1 vs Episode 2?

edited January 2007 in Sam & Max
Thoughts? Personally I liked Episode 2 better. The jokes made me laugh, rather than smirk. The villian had more personality and life, and the third party characters were hilarious (Bosco is by far the best, but Hugh Bliss was good). The whole episode was shorter it seemed, but I wouldn't say the difficulty level was any different. The trickiest part for me took 5 minutes to figure out instead of 4. What I like best is the scenery, the whole television studio set had this darker bizarre aura that gave the true feeling of a Sam and Max game, kinda like some of the locations in HTR. Maybe its just the nostalgia kicking in, but I felt like I was in Rubacava in Grim Fandango. Episode 1 has the outside of the creepy theater clinic, but you dont spend much time there and its all laughs and giggles and organs inside, not nearly wierd enough.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    NO, do not compare the TV studio to Rubacava!
  • edited January 2007
    I loved the second episode more than the first. You're right about the fact that it was laugh out loud funny, and much more zany. I even found myself laughing at the solutions to puzzles before I even tried them.

I went through the whole game in one sitting, and never wanted to put the game down. Good thing I had the morning off :) This episode did feel shorter than the first, but that could be because I enjoyed it so much.

Looking forward to Episode 3.
  • edited January 2007
    numble wrote: »
    NO, do not compare the TV studio to Rubacava!

lol, "i felt like" i dont think i would ever put another adventure game on the same playing field as grim fandango.
  • edited January 2007
    Can butterflies fly....

Sams expression at that moment simply made episode 2 for me, i loved it :D
  • edited January 2007
    Welshy wrote: »
    Can butterflies fly....

Yes... they can.

I thought Episode 2 had better puzzles and way more humor.

I vote for Ep 2.
  • edited January 2007
    I was through Epi2 quicker than the first but I think that's because I played Epi1 first and my mind was back into the puzzle solving mode.
    Episode 1 took my about two days to finish, whereas 2 took me a few hours, but I ran into similar trouble when I first started playing Hit The Road after a long long hiatus.
    I think people saying that it's shorter or easier just don't realize the change in thinking that occurs when figuring out episodes 1.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but regardless, The humor on the weak end is just as good as HTR and the comics and even excels beyond all of that on the high end. Whether it's toddler easy or not doesn't matter because it's still a riot to play through over and over again.
  • edited January 2007
    They're both pretty much equal to me, although I do think Episode 2 is somewhat more solid. Everything fits in a little better, if you know what I mean. The difference is minuscule, which shouldn't be surprising since Ep. 2 was well underway when its predecessor premiered on GameTap.

--Erwin
  • edited January 2007
    One thing cracked me up in episode 2: the facial expressions (and the animations in general). Much better than in episode 1, except for those huge foreheads Sam and Max had sometimes :rolleyes:

The negative point: it seemed shorter than episode 1. But we'll have another one in 1 month. Keep them coming, boys! :p
  • edited January 2007
    So far I've found Episode 2 better overall than the first. It does have a distinct Monkey Island feel to me though. I haven't decided if that's good or bad, but I loved all of the Monkey Island games, so I guess it's good for me. It's also harder than the first episode for me, and it looks like it will take me longer, but I only play in burts of 30 minutes or so; I suppose difficulty and length would vary some from person to person.
  • edited January 2007
    Larrin wrote: »
    It does have a distinct Monkey Island feel to me though.

Really ? Monkey island was my first adventure game ever, and i've played it a lot... But i don't see how ep 2 feels the same way...
  • edited January 2007
    Structurally, yes, it felt very Monkey Island to me too. It has the feeling of a Monkey Island "act" where you have to perform 3 big tasks in any order you want, usually broken down into a couple of smaller tasks each.
    In comparison to episode 1, I think this was even more non-linear, almost totally so except for the first
    shaving cream
    and last
    defeating Myra
    puzzle. Which is good, it gives it a very organic and "game like" feel, though it also makes the game feel a bit aimless at times. For example, why would you even want to tape that sitcom before you knew why, or do any of the other shows? It probably would've been better to place the door to Myra's studio right at the start. Give a bit more direction earlier on, don't make us accidentally solve puzzles before they're even put to us. Episode 1 suffered from this problem far less.
    Still great, though, of course! Loved both!
  • edited January 2007
    Lysandus wrote: »
    For example, why would you even want to tape that sitcom before you knew why, or do any of the other shows? It probably would've been better to place the door to Myra's studio right at the start. Give a bit more direction earlier on, don't make us accidentally solve puzzles before they're even put to us.

I totally agree with this, I solved the Midtown Cowboys sitcom before I did anything backstage, and it really wasnt necessary.
  • edited January 2007
    well, that's right, i haven't thought much of the structure of the game... it's just that when you say "a monkey island feel", i expect something more of an ambiance ^^
  • edited January 2007
    It's hard to decide which one is the ultimate Sam & Max-episode yet released, but I think the second episode is slightly better. The characters, particularely Sam, Max and Bosco, are more alive and hilarious than ever, and that makes the entire episode sparkle with charm! ;)

I admire the Telltale-gang for what they have managed to pull off! :cool:
  • edited January 2007
    Yeah, I wasn't so fond of Bosco in the first episode, but I'm really starting to like him now. Great characters in general, especially the director and Hugh Bliss, definitely a step up from episode 1. Sybil is still very hum-drum and "too normal" though.
  • edited January 2007
    I have to say, almost everything was better in this game. I thought the humor was improved, as well as the puzzles, and I liked the animation/models.

My main complaint is that it was way too short. The first one took me about 3.5 hours. This one took about 2 hours. I don't think it should necessarily be way more difficult, I'd just like some extra content here and there. Maybe a little mini-game in each episode?
  • edited January 2007
    I did like episode 2 better. It was short, but lots of fun.:D
  • edited January 2007
    I liked episode 2 even more than the first one. The humor was better, and the tv-show riddles where just great! I hope EP3 will even top this!
  • edited January 2007
    I LOVE HUGH BLISS.

I just wanted to put that out there. Annoying as hell on paper, but his voice is really funny and the whole character made me smile. Hopefully he'll be back in later episodes! Bosco was also much funnier this ep, his "British" impression was pretty funny (speaking as a "Brit") - would be cool if he had a different disguise every episode, though that joke might get old.

Episode 2 seemed much shorter to me, but I think it was because there wasn't much to do around S&M's office, just a couple of puzzles and not a single thing to do in their actual office. To be honest, I'd like to see subsequent episodes move away from their neighbourhood rather than just re-use the same characters and locations at the start of every case. Especially when Telltale made such good new environments this episode, the TV studio was great and I laughed quite a few times when the shows were "on-air".

Episode 2 gets my vote, just a little longer and more difficult next time eh?
  • edited January 2007
    Lysandus wrote: »
    Structurally, yes, it felt very Monkey Island to me too. It has the feeling of a Monkey Island "act" where you have to perform 3 big tasks in any order you want, usually broken down into a couple of smaller tasks each.
    In comparison to episode 1, I think this was even more non-linear, almost totally so except for the first
    shaving cream
    and last
    defeating Myra
    puzzle. Which is good, it gives it a very organic and "game like" feel, though it also makes the game feel a bit aimless at times. For example, why would you even want to tape that sitcom before you knew why, or do any of the other shows? It probably would've been better to place the door to Myra's studio right at the start. Give a bit more direction earlier on, don't make us accidentally solve puzzles before they're even put to us. Episode 1 suffered from this problem far less.
    Still great, though, of course! Loved both!

I, too agree which is why I like ep 1 better. Ep 2 is funnier, but it lacks structure and a solid storyline, imo. If you think about it, the overall plot is about 5 minutes long with the shows as fillers. Ep 1 had a more throught out plot. I was more absorbed into ep 1's storyline than ep 2's. It seems disorganized and unrealistic even for a fictional storyline.

I agree with Lysandus that they should have had Lyra's office first to start Sam and Max's goal in entering those game shows if telltalegames wanted to make the game non linear.

I think the midtown Cowboys part flowed well since they had to auditioned to meet Lyra to get into the studio. However, the other shows, imo, didn't flow as well and seemed to be added there at the last minute. Either that or Telltalegames might have removed the linear route because of the demands from fans?

I too like the shows part, but as Lysandus said, this episode needed a more sense of direction. Even though I like the skin bodies part, I felt that it was not in order. However, it could be me and not the storyline since you pretty much knew that you had to go searching for something to enter the studio and checking
    at Bosco's seems like something to do
    . However, if does seems off, I think that Max should tell Sam to check out
    Bosco's to see if they can get sometime like cheese or if the new issue of any of those adult magazines are out before going to the studio. For example, something like: "Hey Sam, before we go and investigate, let's see what crazy conspiracy Bosco cooked up this time, so that we can mock him."

The whole "going to show to show" reminds me of the last LSL adventure game made by Al Lowe where you have to do win all the events to do the nasty w/ Captain Thigh. However, at the start of the game it tells you what is the goal to the game. Ep 2 just put these shows in other rooms that you are intriged to play without knowing what purpose it serves till the very end.

Overall, humor, puzzles, and graphics improved(I realize the game can be selected to have higher res unlike the previous ep. Then again, I just upgraded my pc,) but the story is lacking when compared to ep 1.

Sorry, but when I think of episodic games, I want it to have a solid storyline and gameplay. Whenever I play an adventure game, I think story is important. I may be bashed for saying this, but imo, I think most of the King's Quest games(including the fan remake of kq2) are crap for having a lackluster storyline (fun puzzles, but very weak storyline with the exception of kq6).
  • edited January 2007
    The "story" is 2/6ths of the way through and only now picking up steam.
  • edited January 2007
    I liked culture shock more than situation comedy. Ep2 was shorter, easier and the recurring characters didn't provide too many laughs. Highlights were hugh bliss and the refined british actor slash rooster
  • edited January 2007
    I definitely thought Episode 2 was funnier than the first--a lot of the length and humor in Episode 1 was taken up by clicking things in the office/street/store, which is repeated but probably skipped in Episode 2, while Episode 2 had loads of character/dialog-based humor revolving around Hugh Bliss, Bosco, the Director, Myra and to a lesser extent, the Soda Poppers and Philo Pennyworth.
  • edited January 2007
    I just saw the 4th Machina short on Gametap..... I will hold judgement until Ep 3, because the story looks crazy funny for the next episode!
  • edited January 2007
    Holy sweet mother of margarine, episode two seemed (was?) not only much shorter, but significantly easier than episode one. I felt like Telltale was holding my hand and leading me through the entire thing; any time I could have had the slightest chance of hitting a dead end, there was a pink neon arrow corralling me in the right direction. I only recall once being at least somewhat satisfied upon solving a couple puzzles, both of which were immediately apparent to me.

I hate complaining, as I feel I'm proofreading a friend's paper, but honestly, I'm not that good at adventure games. I don't know what type of smarts they take, but oftentimes I just don't have them. I usually have to cheat to complete a game (including, [at risk of being ostracized from the S&M community at large] the first episode). I'm only now working on finishing Hit the Road, after which I'll move on to finishing up DOTT. My most frustrating moment with "Situation: Comedy", however, was realizing that I'd just beaten it. Again, I feel like I'm telling my sister that her flagline acrobatics were off beat. But damn it, they were! And I've seen her do better!

Please let me sit at the cool kids table when you make your way up to cheerleader.

Anyway, that's my $.02
  • edited January 2007
    I find it hard to say which was funnier - I'm glad we Bosco is a regular, and the soda poppers returned, hope we saw more of them, I expect we'll get more of Hugh Bliss, and Jimmy The Rat who we didn't see much of this time. I also hope but don't expect that we'll see more of Philo Pennyworth - what a pro! The whole Myra show was a hoot, glad I tried lots of things before the correct one. I also loved the Midtown Cowboys thing.
  • edited January 2007
    My vote goes to Culture Shock. I liked Situation : Comedy, but ep 1 was better IMHO.
  • edited January 2007
    Hmm. I guess I'm one of the rare that actually liked Episode 2 better than the first (although the first is very good as well). I liked the idea which was used as a general environment, and the puzzles were pretty neat too, although they weren't overwhelmingly difficult. Anyways, the humor was top notch.

Keep it goin' Telltale :)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    People across the internet actually seem pretty split on which one they like more, so that's good.
  • edited January 2007
    I'm still surprised that so many found the second episode less difficult. I had a way harder time with the second one, and was pretty pleased with myself when I didn't need any hints to complete it, but I had to work for it. With the first episode I knew pretty much immediately what to do in every situation. Granted, the puzzles seemed simple after I figured them out in the second episode. Are people thinking of the puzzles as how difficult they seem after they figured them out, or the amount of time it took them to figure it out in the first place? There is a lot of variation between people with what they figure out though. I'm beginning to think I'm just one of those stupid people that can't figure anything out. Has anyone noticed if the first or second game has yielded more questions in the help/hint section?
  • edited January 2007
    I'd say it's better. I found that episode 1 really hit its stride when it moved away from the street area. Episode 2 moved away from it pretty much right away.
  • edited January 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    People across the internet actually seem pretty split on which one they like more, so that's good.

Ahaa, that's good to hear. It only shows that the average quality of the episodes is quite decent then. :)
  • edited January 2007
    Larrin wrote: »
    I'm still surprised that so many found the second episode less difficult.
    I'm beginning to think I'm just one of those stupid people that can't figure anything out.
    I'm glad that i'm atleast not the only one.
    The first episode feeled so linear that I somehow instantly knew what to do...

I thougt that both episodes was pretty equally funny, maybe it was more really-funny lines in culture shock, but the best ones occurred in Ep2.

but what really make me choose Ep2 is probably the superb animations, eyebrows and all that. It somehow gave the game a totally new feel for me.
    Ep2 also seems more crazy, wierd and disturbed (in a good way).
  • edited January 2007
    I pick ep. 1 over ep. 2. Ep2 was way too short and easy. But I did enjoy it though. Keep 'em coming but it would be nice to make it at least as long as the first and a little harder.
  • edited January 2007
    I don't like the Soda Poppers that much, so I vote for Ep. 3 (hoping that they don't make a comeback there yet again).
  • edited January 2007
    I think I prefer Episode 1 overall in that it feels more authentic to Sam & Max. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the humor in Situation: Comedy. It seemed darker and more fitting of the Freelance Police's sense of humor. Not to mention it was much more self-contained and didn't rely as heavily on previous games, comics, or cartoon episodes. I was starting to get a little worried that the new series would just be Sam & Max making "remember the time..." jokes, but thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case! (Of course, the occasional throwback joke can be pretty good. Brady Culture's hair sitting in the closet? Priceless!)

However, Episode 2 just seemed to sort of wander a little aimlessly. Sam & Max didn't seem very motivated for their cause, and nothing gave them a real reason to loathe and despise their adversary which, as we all know, is usually the only reason why they bother doing their job: For some form of satisfactory revenge against an unlikable opponent. The ending just felt sort of anti-climactic.

But no big deal. Every so often, we all have our off days, and the comedy business is no exception. You get a dull episode now and then, but then get a hysterical one later to make up for it!
  • edited January 2007
    I preferred Episode 2 for a few reasons:

- I thought it was funnier.
    - I thought it was slightly longer.
    - I liked the change of scenery.

That's all I have to say.
  • edited January 2007
    EP2 was almost par with EP1, even though I did find it a lil'bit easier and shorter than the EP1. Both are great games, but every time I play them, I want rest of the episode to come out already :)
  • edited January 2007
    Episode 1 was better for me. I found it more difficult (I couldn't figure out how to knock out some of the Soda Poppers. I am stupid.) and was more memorable. Episode 2 lacked a really bizarre scene like in Episode 1, so I don't remember Ep2 so well. The whole thing was generally 'weird' in Ep2 (Philo, for example), though, which comes closer to the feel of the comic book so perhaps that's good. I just didn't think it was as lol-worthy as Ep1.

Also the plot was extremely vague in Ep2. I actually forgot what the heck I was doing anyway, so I was just solving puzzles to progress, not to actually reach any goal. The skinbody part kinda threw me off, since it didn't have any kind of relevance at all.

I am looking forward to episode 4 because the title of that one is pretty awesome.
  • edited January 2007
    Episode 2 made me laugh more, but episode 1 seemed better structured to me, and I liked the fact that you had a villain, and in the best Conroy Bumpus tradition too. Sybil in episode 2 was essentially a victim, and you didn't get the feeling that you were having a "climatic showdown" at the end. I hope episode 3 brings that back.

As far as lenght and challenge go, I thought they were pretty much the same which is a good thing since it shows consistency.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.