Two game-breaking bugs in 304 (SPOILERS)

edited July 2010 in Sam & Max
Well, unusually for me (I'm rarely the person who finds these), I encountered not one but TWO game-stopping bugs in 304. Both prevented me from doing anything further, and in both cases I had to reload from a saved game and try again.

The first one: I picked up the letter from Bosco before I talked to Momma Bosco about getting a DNA sample from her. Once I found out I needed to clone a body for her, I got the sample. I then proceeded to ask her every dialogue option I had, including the question about possibly obtaining some of Bosco's DNA to complete the sequence.

The only trouble was, after that conversation, I checked my inventory and found that the Bosco letter was GONE! It had vanished from my inventory entirely, in effect being replaced by the DNA sample. This was... problematic.

I reloaded a game and talked to Momma Bosco only as much as was necessary to get the DNA sample, and then I quit the conversation. This time, when I checked, I had both the DNA sample and Bosco's letter in my inventory, so I could continue the game.

Secondly: When I got to the point of controlling Max at the bottom of the Statue of Liberty, I had Max look up at the torch where Sam and Charlie Ho-Tep are. This occasions a special camera angle, a cut away from Max's position down at the base of the statue, to a bird's-eye view of the torch. A special "Back" button in the lower left corner normally allows you to exit this close-up.

I had Max look at a few of the objects visible around the torch. This causes the camera angle to move around, and takes player control away briefly. But once I'd looked at these objects and come back to the "playable" angle, the "Back" button in the closeup disappeared, and was no longer usable. Occasionally, it would shimmer back into view, but it was not clickable.

Thus, I couldn't get out of the torch closeup, and (since the closeup disables the "switch-to-Sam" button) I couldn't do anything to progress in the game. There was nothing for me to do but reload a saved game and NOT look up at the torch.

Is there any hope these bugs will be fixed soon?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I got that statue of liberty bit too, but I find right-clicking would bring you back to Max. So, I don't think it's game-breaking, just annoying.
  • edited July 2010
    also had that problem with the statue of liberty. Stuck on the puzzle too at the mo, making it all doubly frustrating.
  • edited July 2010
    I got the bosco letter first and had no problem getting the DNA sample...
  • edited July 2010
    Cheri wrote: »
    I got that statue of liberty bit too, but I find right-clicking would bring you back to Max. So, I don't think it's game-breaking, just annoying.

I always use the right mouse button to cancel/back out, which would explain why I missed this one.
  • edited July 2010
    I didn't get any game breakers, but I did get one ordinary bug that didn't really screw up that much.
  • edited July 2010
    I only saw some strange striped shadows on Max and a pair of floating eyeballs as
    hypnotized girl stinky
    climbed the controls.
  • edited July 2010
    im waiting for episode 304 to come out for PSN and still hasnt come out yet
    maybe they are fixing the PS3 version .. i think
  • edited July 2010
    I think I encountered a game breaking glitch on the PC version. During the Liberty sequence, I seem to be unable to do anything on the max side of things. It's like the game seems frozen where I am unable to move him or click on anything.
  • edited July 2010
    To all the people who miss their "back" button; tried right clicking?

I never actually use back, so I wouldn't miss it if it dissapeared as long as the right-click works fine...
  • edited July 2010
    I've tried right clicking, the system still seems frozen in the closeup perspective.
  • edited July 2010
    I think i have the same issue, can anyone tell me whether I need to load an old save file? I picked up Bosco's letter and put it in the DNA machine. now its gone from my inventory and it seems I need another piece of DNA to complete the cloning. Can I still get this without the letter or is it a bug? any help will be much appreciated (but no solutions :p)

edit:I read you have to read moma bosco's mind but even after checking the clone machine nothing happens. should I have shown her the letter before it disappears?
  • edited July 2010
    Just clicking the "Control" button will get you out of the Statue of Liberty glitch as well, even on the Mac version.
  • edited July 2010
    So, to be sure:
    You got Bosco's letter, put it in the DNA machine (before gettting the DNA. Which should be not the first thing most people do since you need Momma Bosco to remove the tentacles), and then got the 99% DNA and now it's gone from the DNA machine?
  • edited July 2010
    after alot of examining, mind reading and talking i got the DNA. Turns out I did the same as somone else on this thread and forgot to re-examine the Boscotech machine after reloading a save. I need to chill out and play it instead of worrying about bugs...thanks for your help!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.