Samulacrum or Doggelganers?

edited August 2010 in Sam & Max
What do you call them?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Charlie Ho-Tep
    calls them dogglegangers, and he created them, but I like Samulacrum. Sounds better IMHO. So Samulacrum it is.
  • edited July 2010
    Samulacrum. Pun on Sam, simulacrum and also Samuel.
  • edited July 2010
    I don't get what samualacera is supposed to be a parody of. like-

Doggleganers = doppleganers.
  • edited July 2010
    Sam/Simulacrum

Simulacrum (n.)

* an insubstantial or vague semblance
    * effigy: a representation of a person (especially in the form of sculpture); "the coin bears an effigy of Lincoln"; "the emperor's tomb had his image carved in stone"
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* Simulacrum (plural: -cra), from the Latin simulacrum which means "likeness, similarity", is first recorded in the English language in the late 16th century, used to describe a representation of another thing, such as a statue or a painting, especially of a god; by the late 19th century, it had ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulacrum

* An image or representation; as, a simulacrum of a New York studio apartment; A faint trace or semblance; as, a simulacrum of hope
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/simulacrum

* an insubstantial form or semblance of something, anything that has a superficial likeness to something else.
    www.tripiparanormal.com/Glossary.html
  • edited July 2010
    Yadda wrote: »
    Sam/Simulacrum

Simulacrum (n.)

* effigy: a representation of a person (especially in the form of sculpture); "the coin bears an effigy of Lincoln"; "the emperor's tomb had his image carved in stone"

* Simulacrum (plural: -cra), from the Latin simulacrum which means "likeness, similarity", is first recorded in the English language in the late 16th century, used to describe a representation of another thing, such as a statue or a painting, especially of a god; by the late 19th century, it had ...

* An image or representation; as, a simulacrum of a New York studio apartment; A faint trace or semblance; as, a simulacrum of hope

* an insubstantial form or semblance of something, anything that has a superficial likeness to something else.

Witness my awesome
  • edited July 2010
    Yadda wrote: »
    Sam/Simulacrum

Simulacrum (n.)

Jesus how long did that take? Thanks I guess, Lamens term's would have been fine.
  • edited July 2010
    Haha, all I did was use google's 'define:[word]' feature and then edit down what it puked up. :P
  • edited July 2010
    Well, you misspelled the first two options so I can't vote for anything. And when Sam is referring to the clones in plural, he says "Samulacra". Yet you've written that in singular while the second option is in plural.
  • edited July 2010
    Oh vote for it anyway, ya nutcase. Even I'M not that stingy about spelling.
  • edited July 2010
    Samulacra.

Sorry, Max, better luck next game...
  • edited July 2010
    I'll have to go with dogglegangers because I actually knew what they were referring too before I read this thread.
  • edited July 2010
    Had they been of max, we could have had macsimiles
  • edited July 2010
    I call them Samulacra, because I just love the word "simulacrum." So, yeah, I'm a sucker for lame and obscure puns, and dogglegangers is too obvious.

Sorry, Max. No offense. You know I love you.
  • edited July 2010
    I like 'em both, but I do think doggelganger is more fun to say aloud. ^_^
  • edited July 2010
    ...Dogglegangers just sounds really, really dumb IMHO. For some reason all I can think of when I hear it is 'that sounds... wrong somehow.' And that one board game, 'Boggle.'
  • edited July 2010
    I think Samulacrum is a bit more clever, but regardless I still got a chuckle out of Max calling them Dogglegangers.
  • edited July 2010
    Croutons wrote: »
    I think Samulacrum is a bit more clever, but regardless I still got a chuckle out of Max calling them Dogglegangers.

Repeatedly calling them dogglegangers. :]
  • edited July 2010
    I just call them clones.
  • edited July 2010
    I prefer Doggelgangers. Samulacra is creative, but Doggelgangers is just catchier.

Though, unlike almost everyone else, I didn't really think that joke this was worn too far into the ground. It started to lose a little humor near the end, but it still managed to stay relatively funny throughout the game for me.
  • edited July 2010
    Samulacrum. More specific to Sam than Doddlegangers and after all they are never called humangangers.
  • edited July 2010
    I prefer dopplegangers because every time it cracks me up to hear Max say it. However, I ended up voting for the cake option because that's what my user title is. :D
  • edited July 2010
    Both but only as long as its Sam saying "Samulacra." and Max hastily and irritably replying with "Dogglegangers!".
  • edited July 2010
    I like cake.
  • edited July 2010
    Samulacrum all the way, of course!
  • MRNMRN
    edited July 2010
    I like cake!
  • edited July 2010
    Dogglegangers is more fun to say, but Samulacra is based on a cooler word. Besides, just saying "dog" is kind of vague.
  • edited July 2010
    Nice pun, but the word "Simulacrum" is too loaded with post-modern nonsense for my liking.
  • edited July 2010
    I prefer dogglegangers:D
    But man the cake option is tempting.
  • edited July 2010
    I can't get over how awesome Samulacrum is. I'm going to start using it as names for characters in video games now.
  • edited July 2010
    I realy like cake
  • edited July 2010
    I wish we could vote for several options because I do like cake, but I also just think Sam clones is fine.
  • edited July 2010
    Make up your minds, people. You can get a load of Samulacra (or Dogglegangers) once in your lifetime, but you can always eat a cake.
  • edited August 2010
    I know Doggelgangers is based on Doppelgangers, but what is Samulacurm based on?
  • edited August 2010
    Doggelgangers. It's more fun to say, and it rolls off the tongue better than "Samulacra".
  • edited August 2010
    LikaLaruku wrote: »
    I know Doggelgangers is based on Doppelgangers, but what is Samulacurm based on?
    Samulacrum is based on "simulacrum".
  • edited August 2010
    Samilacra for two reasons,
    1. It sounds cooler and
    2. It's more specific to Sam than just dog.
  • edited August 2010
    Doggelgangers is more fun to say and has better origins. It gets my vote.
  • edited August 2010
    40 people chose "I like cake"? Wow, just wow.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.