I want to be a Game Designer!

edited August 2007 in General Chat
Hi there, everyone! I?m not that excited as the other guys, but I?m pretty pleased this forum opened up... I?m trying to start some game production here, and for that I?m using a software called Adventure Game Studio (AGS). It?s very simple but looks like it can do a lot of stuff... The only problem is the graphic interface! I?m not that good at drawing, especially using Photoshop and alikes. Is it better for me to get used to it, or should I start drawing on paper and using a scanner? Am I asking too much? Is there other software that would give me more freedom to develop a game? I´m not afraid of some hard work/study or programming (I´m a physics major...)

Comments

• edited October 2004
    Find a friend who can draw. Team up. You design & script. Your friend draws. Make excellent games.

One-man games are so 1980s. Just ask Scott Adams and Jeff Minter.
  • edited October 2004
    it's tough work, there's a process you need to go threw. i have tried to create my own but I've never had much luck. you first need everything planned out, and i mean everything. starting with:
    1) STORY, you absolutely need a story..dont expect to go in with nothing and come out with something great because it just wont work
    2) TEXT, your going need some sort of script
    3) STORY BOARD, this is ware you start putting your ideas together to start making the game
    4) ART, you can make a game without art. once you got all 4 of these down your heading in the write direction.

anything else i left out guys?
  • edited October 2004
    You also need that skull thing that Chester Copperpot had, but good luck finding it.

Oh, alright. It's behind the fridge. No, don't open it! Behind the fridge. Behind it!

And you think YOU have problems.
  • edited October 2004
    Try this book by Ari Fieldman on arcade graphics design.
    BOOK SITE

You should probably read this article by Ron Gilbert
    ARTICLE
  • edited October 2004
  • edited October 2004
    i can make some caracters :D
  • edited October 2004
    (I�m a physics major...)

Physics won't help too much in a adventure game, now if you made a platform game, that would involve physics.
  • edited October 2004
    Physics won't help too much in a adventure game, now if you made a platform game, that would involve physics.

Not sure about that one... Adventure games still follow Newton's laws (& Co). Ask Guybrush Threepwood for one... :D
  • edited October 2004
    I major in F*cking up, maybe I could be of service.
  • edited October 2004
    I said it didn't envolve too much physics. But in most 2d adventure game you work off layers and everything. Physics don't really fit in there.
  • edited October 2004
    burn is correct, physics really don't work in 2d adventure games. there isn't much need for a psychic based system. if a can falls then it can me moved with a simple animation you don't need it strung threw a million algorithms just to roll on the ground.
  • edited November 2004
    By a million, you mean a couple representing x/y coordinate systems...hehe ;)
  • edited November 2004
    okay, maybe I didnt express myself too clearly.
    first, I have some ideas, but not a whole story.
    second, the good thing about being a physicist is that i?m not afraid of A LOT of studying, i?m a fast thinker and i believe i?m very creative.
    some of the ideas were kind of 'what if newtons laws were different?' how a character is supposed to live in a universe like that???
    and i think i already saw some stuff go completely against physics in some games...
  • edited November 2004
    and i think i already saw some stuff go completely against physics in some games...

Yeah, that's what makes them games fun to play... what would DOTT be without the neat time machine? Or the way you repair the binoculars in S&M? ;] Cartoons and physics shouldn't mix too much (in a serious way).

Edit: I see you're from Brasil: Did you check out the brasilian Lua-language for programming games? Very nice, IMO (-- I didn't try it out too much yet, but I think LucasArts used it in their Grim Fandango engine...)
  • edited November 2004
    what would DOTT be without the neat time machine?

I wouldn't be surprised if someone working in theorics physics could prove us that time travel is actually possible :D

But as I still don't get how you quantum teleportation works, I'm not even close to get to understand time travel. So yes, I guess you don't need to go dig inside physics's darkest room to make an adventure game.

Yet... [>:)]
  • edited August 2007
    burn is correct, physics really don't work in 2d adventure games. there isn't much need for a psychic based system.

I dunno - a 'psychic based system' sounds kinda fun :)
  • edited August 2007
    IronCladChicken, you brought back to life a thread posted TWO YEARS AGO!!! :D
  • edited August 2007

Three years ago! :eek:
  • edited August 2007
    Gosh, that's right!!! :eek:
    I forgot this is 2007
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Oh my god, it's full of Guybrush Threepwoods.
  • edited August 2007
    Jake wrote: »

I came first :p Anyway, you can never get enough of Threepwoods!
  • edited August 2007
    Jake wrote: »

Yeah, sorry. When I had my name changed I didn't know there was another forum member with the same name. :o
  • edited August 2007
    Yeah, sorry. When I had my name changed I didn't know there was another forum member with the same name. :o

Ahah that's my fault :p
    I should discuss in the forums more often, instead of staying too much for a month and nothing for 2!
    Anyway the underscore saved us, my good twin pal:D
  • edited August 2007
    I have almost three game scripts done.. full stories, characters, environments. I also have a storyboard artist. We were going to make comics if I cant find a full team but Idk seems like a waste of alot of art and great dialog imo :P Ive made many great puzzles too.. :P I would also love a text based adventure shell so anyone can make infocom like games, course now I cant even find my old infocom code.. grr. Anyone finds something half easy to use for text advents lemme know .. until then I expect to make a 2d adventure called "Lore" once I get this team working. XD
    Akril MIIIGht be on the bill for some arts too if anyone knows her stuff.
    There is my piece!
  • edited August 2007
    Seems like as good a time as any to pimp WiiCade's game development forum...
    There are more "artists" than programmers already, but a well fleshed-out idea has a decent chance of being noticed.

I actually started trying to design an adventure game, but got stumped/bored because I couldn't really come up with any clever puzzles.
  • edited August 2007
    Funny story: The other day, my dad ACTUALLY asked me why I want to be a games developer so much. It was all could do not to laugh out loud.

I've tried game development in Flash, but it annoyed me to no end that code that worked perfectly fine in a tech demo I made wouldn't work in the proper game, despite everything I did.
    So now I just use it to animate scathing parodies of unduly popular webcomics and TV shows. Which never end up getting finished for some reason or another. I'll leave Flash game design for the people who Flash doesn't have a dead set bias against.

I've moved onto C++ now and it's more complicated, but at least it abides by it's own internal logic between programmes unlike a certain Flash.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Funny story: The other day, my dad ACTUALLY asked me why I want to be a games developer so much. It was all could do not to laugh out loud.

What'd you say? Because, you know, if you really do want to be a game developer, you should probably have a damn good reason for it.
  • edited August 2007
    Good thread to plug my own game, a Source engine fan-sequel to Blood... Blood 3: Amputation. :D I hate to plug it so early in development, but our team recently doubled in size, so I'm excited all over again :P

[/resume normal transmission]
  • edited August 2007

Lol.. Hey! I've not been around for a good few months - New job's been keeping me busy (& pissing me off! :) ) - Just playing catchup ;)
  • edited August 2007
    I was working on a text adventure with some1 in the game industry just as a side project but we quickly found it was too time consuming :p
  • edited August 2007
    Text adventures are a blast to write :D
  • edited August 2007
    Haha, we had to do one for a Java exam, it really pissed me off but it was funny! :D
  • edited August 2007
    Squinky wrote: »
    What'd you say? Because, you know, if you really do want to be a game developer, you should probably have a damn good reason for it.

I couldn't think of anything I'd rather do. Ever since I was little, making a half decent (I've made one or two things in Flash, but nothing special) game has been a dream of mine.
    I know I'd probably be sick of even looking at the game after working on it for a year or so, but knowing I've made something which other people are going to get enjoyment from really appeals to me.

I want to go down a programming route anyway, seeing as it feels like I spend half my life in front of a computer screen as it is and the college courses I've chosen are all heading towards that route, so I feel games would be a lot more interesting to work on, and I'd be more proud of the overall result, than making something like a database or word processor.
  • edited August 2007
    Making videogames is my dream too, I'm just waiting to graduate and then I'll start moving around trying to be hired by some company.
  • edited August 2007

There are probably more reasons not to, I suspect.

--Erwin
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Erwin wrote: »
    There are probably more reasons not to, I suspect.

Well, from personal experience, it depends very much on the company, and also on the products you're creating. You really have to believe in both, otherwise you'll burn out quickly.
  • edited August 2007
    Well, from personal experience, it depends very much on the company, and also on the products you're creating. You really have to believe in both, otherwise you'll burn out quickly.
    Of course that applies to any industry, not just video games.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.