A question about the Dimensional Thing (spoilers)

edited July 2010 in Sam & Max
Hello everyone,
I just accidentally got right the combination to get the Cthonian Destroyer with the Dimensional Destabilizer (1 2 3 3), can someone explain it to me? I was supposed to get those numbers out of the ancient manuscript but I randomly solved it before I could even think about it!!

Thanks...
juan

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Here is the explanation for that puzzle in spoiler tags:
    Each dial corresponds to one aspect of the dimension that you go to: re-entrance special effects, emotion, what was at the dimension, and what the future holds for those who enter it. You must make those correspond to what the story says.

I think what dial affect what aspect of the dimension is randomized, as I remember not having to change the second dial. Either that, or the what the numbers do on each dial is randomized.

If the stories are the same for everyone, you need a flash of light on re-entrance, a giggling dimension, insect filled, and eaten by a giant monster. For the light and giggling, you can easily see what is what, but for the insect status and future, you must do something different. For the insect status, you read Sam's mind; if he thinks of insects, you have that aspect right.

As for the future (giant beast eating him), you must use future vision on him. Once you have Giant Max eating Sam, you have that aspect right.

After fulfilling all of those requirements, Sam will come back with the Cthonic Destroyer. Well done! You have finished the puzzle!

Sorry for the long explanation, it is simpler than it sounds.
  • edited July 2010
    It was the same for me. But I never noticed the need to use future vision. I just fiddled randomly and the game added stickers eventually.
  • edited July 2010
    Added stickers?
    I suppose... hint level pretty high up?

(I guess that explains the note-on's people mentioned I didn't notice at all)
  • edited July 2010
    Added stickers?
    I suppose... hint level pretty high up?

(I guess that explains the note-on's people mentioned I didn't notice at all)

Those notes appear even when hints are turned off.

To be honest I didn't get that puzzle's idea either (it was not really logical), so I just used trial and error and noticed that once you start to get them right, they are stuck in correct numbers. That puzzle solves itself really. I realized it got something to do with that paper thing but it was not needed.
  • edited July 2010
    Clord wrote: »
    Those notes appear even when hints are turned off.

To be honest I didn't get that puzzle's idea either (it was not really logical), so I just used trial and error and noticed that once you start to get them right, they are stuck in correct numbers. That puzzle solves itself really. I realized it got something to do with that paper thing but it was not needed.

The bolded is not true, at least not for the PC version; I could change them even if they were right, as could my little sister.
  • edited July 2010
    Personally I did understand how the dials worked after a few tries; and while I was happily fiddling with the dials to find out what each number did, suddenly a sticker appeared and blocked one of them. I really didn't need that, and I had hint level on 0. That was really irritating.
  • edited July 2010
    It was entirely logical: the four dials correspond to the four
    highlighted phrases on the paper PW/YS gave Sam
    . Changing the dials changes what happens when Sam returns:
    the machine's "output" just before Sam appears, Sam's demeanor, what happens with future vision on Sam, what Sam's thinking during mind reading

I never saw any "stickers" either :confused: Can somebody screenshot?

Edit to respond to Tilan: I was able to change the dial even after it was on the correct setting. In fact, IIRC, when you first access the machine, two of the dials start out in the correct final position.

Edit again: to say I'm on hint level 0, Mac user
  • edited July 2010
    Yup, same here (hint level 0, PC user).

No stickers, and free to alter the dials after they were correct (I put them all on 1 first, 2 second, 3 third. That... shouldn't be possible with what you guys are saying).

Weeeeeird.
  • edited July 2010
    thom-22 wrote: »
    Edit to respond to Tilan: I was able to change the dial even after it was on the correct setting. In fact, IIRC, when you first access the machine, two of the dials start out in the correct final position.
    Yes, at first I was able to change the dials too, even when they were on the correct position; BUT after a number of tries, an unwanted sticker appeared. (I could still move the 3 other dials though.)
    That's the kind of thing that should not happen when hints are disabled. I assume that was a bug -_-

(and I'm on PC too)
  • edited July 2010
    Odd. Are you sure hints are disabled for you though?
    The settings aren't saved between episodes like with season 2 or ToMI.

I've fiddled around it with FAR longer than I should have, and no stickers (gladly). 303 did give me unwanted hints though...
  • edited July 2010
    And I had the hint level set to the default and that didn't happen. Of course, it did not take long for me to figure it out.
  • edited July 2010
    Clord wrote: »

I loved this puzzle, actually. It was the right mix of deciphering information and experimenting with the environment - you had to figure out which
    emphasized line corresponds to which dial
    , and then you could have a lot of fun with the
    dials themselves
  • edited July 2010
    It looks like some people just solved it by accident... strange.

I liked how you had to find out how each dial works. I started by setting each dial to 1, and keeping them at that. Then I tested all three positions of the first dial. That way I could write down what aspect that dial changed, and at which number I had to leave it. Then I did the same with the second dial, this time leaving all the other dials untouched. Eventually I knew what each dial did, and what positions they had to be set to.

Post-it stickers did appear after the third dial or so... maybe they are only used after a certain number of tries?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.