Iorana from Easter Island

edited July 2010 in Sam & Max
No whistling, as many conch's as I tried.....

Attachment not found.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I think he's just sleeping off a basalt binge.
  • edited July 2010
    Try making it angry. It should summon at least one tiny storm cloud. And look for any precocious babies while you're there. Specially watch out for the one armed with a gun and a remarkable accent.
  • edited July 2010
    Overture wrote: »
    No whistling, as many conch's as I tried.....

awesome picture! :)
  • edited July 2010
    Also keep on the lookout for the Fountain of Youth. I hear the water's nice this time of year.
  • edited July 2010
    it look small find a bigger one did you see one that tawdry over you head
  • edited July 2010
    kane wrote: »
    it look small find a bigger one did you see one that tawdry over you head

i think thats the real life general size of the heads, right? otherwise how would the ancient people have moved them around?
  • edited July 2010
    Actually they got much, much bigger - they stripped the island of trees and used them to lug the heads all over the island, which is why the ecology there is in such bad shape.
    Hang on, let me find another pic... It isn't a good shot (damned tourists), but it shows the scale a bit better.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1737&stc=1&d=1279896449

Their bodies go all the way down to their waists, they're just mostly buried except for the coastal ones that are mounted, and have coral inserted for eyes...

attachment.php?attachmentid=1738&stc=1&d=1279896619
  • edited July 2010
    Plus there are different styles of Moai spanning different generations, and all the moai on the whole island come from the one volcano crater / quarry in the north east - there are 397 Moai statues in various stages of 'buried' in the crater. And yet they spread them across the whole island. Crazy folk.

Not that you all want a lesson in Rapa Nui history or anything :)
  • edited July 2010
    Are you from certain country I know somewhat well or you went only for the Eclipse?
  • edited July 2010
    I'm from Melbourne, Australia. Came to Rapa Nui for three weeks for the Eclipse (which was amazing).

I'm now in Santiago until Tuesday, and then back home again :)
  • edited July 2010
    Too cold right now? (What a question).

I'm thinking in something to recomend to you while you are in Santiago, but I got nothing for the moment. I mean, the Change of Guards in la Moneda are in the Monday Morning, I think and all the old neighbor near to the Main Square is pretty interesting and stand pretty well with all the earthquakes and what not. Appart of that, go to Valparaíso for the weekend can work too, but now it's way too freezing.

A good idea would be eat a Completo or simple eat Bread. The normal bakery has at least 3 types of them, so, you should try =D

(I'm Chilean by the way. And good thing you have a blast at the Eclipse ^^!)
  • edited July 2010
    Heh - we met some good Chileans and Brazillians at Rapa Nui who showed us the ropes and gave us some tips etc, so we're definitely enjoying the culture :)

I think I've eaten my body-weight in ceviche and empanadas :)
    You're a little West of here aren't you? We have plenty to do before we leave, or I'd have suggested to the others that we check out the coast - never mind. Next time.

I don't mind the weather, it's about the same as a Melbourne winter, and I like the cold. The next eclipse is in 2012 in Cairns, North Eastern Australia - you should come.

~Dj
  • edited July 2010
    Heh, thanks ^^!

I was thinking about it, eat some sopaipillas.
  • edited July 2010
    Had some today from a corner street vendor near Plaza Italia. Love it :)
    Especially the tomato/onion/cilantro mix on top. Pure magic.
  • edited July 2010
    The best thing about those is you can eat them with salt or sweet. There's ones called "Sopaipillas Pasadas" which are sopaipillas soaked in a mix called "chancaca", which is like Liquid Brown Sugar . I personally don't like them, but my Sister and my mom love it. It's difficult to find them in Street Vendors, but you know now if by any chance you find them ^^!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.