Sam&Max 304 sends Windows 7 laptop to Hibernate

edited July 2010 in Game Support
Hi.

Playing through Sam & Max 304 today sent my system into Hibernate many times over. When I returned from Hibernate, most of the times it said that the program had crashed. But a couple of times I was able to just continue where I left off.

Mostly it happened during cutscenes, I think.

I have all the hardware sufficient and the drivers should be okay, after all, I played 303 with no problems a month ago.

However, I have been playing MI 2 SE on Steam platform in the middle, and Steam is known to have been messing up and overriding DirectX drivers with some of the older files, so that there I think is where the problem is. (even though I let 304 setup look for new DX updates, which it found plenty).

I have removed Steam, downloaded the newest DirectX files from Microsoft, reinstalled 304, and in the middle of this even cleaned my Windows registry just so if there is something messed with the old DX registry keys.

Still, I keep going to Hibernate randomly with the game. This sounds rather critical and can't be good for the machine.

Any ideas what to do? Greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    To elaborate, 304 was obtained through TellTale website, not Steam.

Graphics card ATI Radeon HD 4650
  • edited July 2010
    When you reinstall 304, are you having it check DirectX to make sure it's up to date?
  • edited July 2010
    Yes.

The installer won't find anything, 'cause I got the new version of dxwebsetup just moments earlier.

Only thing I didn't really try was to redownload the game installer when doing a reinstall but used the same one I had. Hard to imagine the game file being corrupt. Doesn't it check that when you first execute the file?
  • edited July 2010
    The newer installers do, yes. 304 should check itself before the installer fully launches. Do the previous Season 3 episodes cause your machine to hibernate at all? Out of curiosity, what happens when you disable Hibernation?
  • edited July 2010
    No problems whatsoever with season 3 before. Though I think I ran the first two on a different machine and haven't tried them on this. But 303 worked fine. Have to check out tomorrow what happens with Hibernation disabled, as I never really use it anyway (in fact I can't even remember how to switch it off right now).

When games start affecting the power source like that, it just seems like something is horribly wrong. Technically, the system still runs, so it's not a BSoD fault, but not a very healthy error, either
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    It is also possible, that your laptop is overheating.
This discussion has been closed.