Season 3 DVD

edited August 2010 in Sam & Max
Telltale, for the love of Max, don't pull another ToMI DVD and throw a bunch of .wmi files in a folder on the disc. Please take the time to produce a DVD with a well-polished DVD-Video portion.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I'm more worried about pulling another Wallace and Gromit DVD-fiasco. Still, combining all the best qualities of the Season One and Two discs along with the benefits of the Tales DVD would produce something truly fantastic.

Also, I will be infuriated if the base art for the discs is not Purcell art. And if they don't have a "3" in a badge on the spine, I will personally call Telltale up and start screaming obscenities nonstop.

YOU PROMISED TELLTALE. DON'T SCREW THAT UP.
  • edited July 2010
    I think my biggest problem with the season 2 DVD was that the Outtakes reel had its own menu, which was "Play Outtakes" and "Main Menu". That was completely unnecessary. I can't comment on the season 1 DVD because they haven't shipped it to me yet. :(
  • edited July 2010
    seconded
  • edited July 2010
    I don't like the way things are going with Telltale DVDs, but I do like the concept art available for uses on your computer. What I don't like was ToMI's cutscene choice, I mean they were all commentarys and you couldn't select what setting you wanted, like I wanted to simply just watch the cutscenes but no I couldn't.

Another thing I didn't like was lack of detail on the "Collector DVD Slipcase". There was no thrill except for cutout characters on the back. And the fact that you didn't get the pleasure of playing the DVD on your TV, I didn't like that.

Do better Telltale, really.
  • edited July 2010
    The reason the TOMI DVD didn't have DVD-video content is because they wanted to fit both PC and Mac versions of the game onto the disc. I imagine they'll want to do the same for Season 3. Personally I thought the wmvs were a pretty effective work-around.
  • edited July 2010
    If you can throw it on a PS3, you can "triangle + Display All" to watch the videos and such. And second Rather Dashing's sentiment, visual consistency with the first two seasons is a necessary. Number one thing I want to see is the variety of the commentary that we saw in season two.
  • edited July 2010
    xbskid wrote: »
    I think my biggest problem with the season 2 DVD was that the Outtakes reel had its own menu, which was "Play Outtakes" and "Main Menu". That was completely unnecessary. I can't comment on the season 1 DVD because they haven't shipped it to me yet. :(

if you accidentally select it, this is a better option
  • edited July 2010
    YOU PROMISED TELLTALE. DON'T SCREW THAT UP.

If I know Jake and the other guys at Telltale (and believe me, I do NOT XD), they don't like when you use that tone. So to back up our mutual statement:

Please, Telltale, could you make this DVD release better than the last ones, by possibly combining their own awesomness and getting rid of the problems we had with previous ones? Thank you!

There, that should do it :P

And btw. yes, that's my 16th post here and I'm telling a guy with 4k posts what not to do.

Oh, I am just so full of myself, am I not?
  • edited July 2010
    Dandi8 wrote: »
    And btw. yes, that's my 16th post here and I'm telling a guy with 4k posts what not to do.
    Believe me, that doesn't matter at all. All that matters is that your post has merit, and frankly, it does.
  • edited July 2010
    Either if the extra stuff (comentaries, out-takes, etc...) are just wmv files or fully DVD playable videos, I hereby respectfully request SUBTITLES. Not translations, just plain English subtitles. If they are wmv files, a srt file linked to each one should be more than enough.
  • edited July 2010
    I only have the SBCG4AP DVD, and I know I'll get this one, but the SBCG4AP is top-notch (even from retail!). It has all the games, wallpapers, mp3s (a micro-soundtrack, they call it) and great video content I can play on the TV or my computer, including easter eggs that the original HSR dvds are known for, including never before seen stuff!

For me, it's not really necessary for them to put the 3 badge thing, since I don't have the first 2 DVDs. But is the badge thing really going to fit? Sure, we all refer to it as Sam and Max Season 3, But "The Devil's Playhouse" is the official name of the season, so it would be silly to put on the DVD "Sam and Max: Season 3" or the badge for that matter.

Plus, Telltale themselves said this season is a good one to jump in even if you haven't played the first 2 seasons (and I agree with them) so they don't honestly expect everyone who plays TDP to be a fan of the entire series.
  • edited July 2010
    If they do design the spine to look like Seasons 1 and 2, what color do you think it'll be?
  • edited July 2010
    I was pretty disappointed with the lack of polished menus and the option to turn the commentary off and just watch the episodes play out with the regular audio... I was expecting a little more love and care from TTG for Monkey Island... I still really enjoyed the vids.. it just was not what it could have been. I hope they do not do that ever again with ANY of the future TTG releases.
  • edited July 2010
    BoneFreak wrote: »
    For me, it's not really necessary for them to put the 3 badge thing, since I don't have the first 2 DVDs. But is the badge thing really going to fit? Sure, we all refer to it as Sam and Max Season 3, But "The Devil's Playhouse" is the official name of the season, so it would be silly to put on the DVD "Sam and Max: Season 3" or the badge for that matter.

Plus, Telltale themselves said this season is a good one to jump in even if you haven't played the first 2 seasons (and I agree with them) so they don't honestly expect everyone who plays TDP to be a fan of the entire series.
    *Ahem*

*Ahem Again*
  • edited July 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    If you can throw it on a PS3, you can "triangle + Display All" to watch the videos and such.

Didn't know that. Awesome. :)

The visual quality of the MI videos is definitely lower than Sam & Max. Here's what I want to see in Season 3's DVD.
    • 2 to 3 commentaries per episode
    • plays in DVD player
    • 3 on the spine
    • NO cutouts :p
    • The ability to turn commentary off and just watch the cutscenes

OH HEY. This stuff was on both the DVDs for Season 1 and Season 2. Please keep it consistent, Telltale.
  • edited July 2010
    The reason the TOMI DVD didn't have DVD-video content is because they wanted to fit both PC and Mac versions of the game onto the disc. I imagine they'll want to do the same for Season 3. Personally I thought the wmvs were a pretty effective work-around.

There's a difference between "fitting both Windows and Mac versions on a disc" and "creating individual experiences for Windows and Mac users". They didn't just put both Windows and Mac versions on the disc, they created separate filesystems for the two OSes so when you put it in a Windows machine or a Mac you wouldn't see the files for the other operating system. Because of that, if they wanted to add a DVD-Video portion, they'd have to add it to both filesystems. DVD-Video contains a lot of data, and I seriously doubt the disc could handle two copies of it.
  • edited July 2010
    Either if the extra stuff (comentaries, out-takes, etc...) are just wmv files or fully DVD playable videos, I hereby respectfully request SUBTITLES.
    +1

Already mentioned that in the MI DVD thread actually. It's sometimes really hard to hear what's being said, and putting my speakers even louder gets me in trouble with the neighbours most probably...
  • edited July 2010
    xbskid wrote: »
    Because of that, if they wanted to add a DVD-Video portion, they'd have to add it to both filesystems. DVD-Video contains a lot of data, and I seriously doubt the disc could handle two copies of it.
    Actually, you can reference the same content on a DVD (or CD) several times in the filesystem. That's how multi-session recording works - added data gets appended to the disc along with a new filesystem index that references both "old" and newly added content...

Of course that might need directly fiddling with the filesystem structures to pull it off on the TTG DVDs, and that's probably too dangerous for discs that are supposed to work everywhere...
  • edited July 2010

I was flicking through the old thread. and this just made me chuckle.
    http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Toa-Renok/Sam-and-Max/haha.png
  • edited July 2010
    Leak wrote: »
    Actually, you can reference the same content on a DVD (or CD) several times in the filesystem. That's how multi-session recording works - added data gets appended to the disc along with a new filesystem index that references both "old" and newly added content...

Of course that might need directly fiddling with the filesystem structures to pull it off on the TTG DVDs, and that's probably too dangerous for discs that are supposed to work everywhere...
    Well, as long as the UDF filesystem is written first, I don't think any players will care to try to look at the HFS filesystem, and if they both have references the same data, then there shouldn't be an issue.
  • edited July 2010
    I'd really just be happy with the DVD case looking good, and the content being good. If it doesn't play on a DVD Player or Blu Ray, I can make my own DVD Player Disc.
  • edited August 2010
    If they do design the spine to look like Seasons 1 and 2, what color do you think it'll be?

We've had red and blue, so....white? Cream maybe? Might work if they want to emphasize the noir thing that's been a bigger part of this season.

And, just to toss my two cents in, personally I was a little disappointed by the ToMI disc myself. I understand wanting to fit PC and Mac versions on the same disc, but I did miss the polished menus found on the Sam & Max discs.
  • edited August 2010
    JJoyce wrote: »
    And, just to toss my two cents in, personally I was a little disappointed by the ToMI disc myself. I understand wanting to fit PC and Mac versions on the same disc, but I did miss the polished menus found on the Sam & Max discs.

It's been said elsewhere on these forums that it's possible for both filesystems to reference the same data (To avoid duplicate copies). If they did that, they could keep their Mac and Windows installers separate while providing a single copy of the Goodies and DVD-Video folders to both filesystems.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.