"Unsupported video signal" - Strong Bad

edited July 2010 in Game Support
I recently purchased the five Strong Bad games on Steam now that they're on sale. However, I've run into the same issue trying to play all of them. As soon as I load the games, I get a black screen, and my monitor itself says "Unsupported video signal". I can hear music, so I know its running, and if I mash the mouse, I hear things happening, so it seems to be accepting input, so it's just a display issue. I've got plenty of other Steam games, including several other Telltale games, but this is the first time I've seen this issue. I'm running Windows XP, my video card is an ATI Radeon x1800, and my directx version is 9.0c. Has anyone else seen this? And if it's just an issue of the game running in an odd resolution, is there anyway outside of the game to change it?

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    InShaneee wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen this? And if it's just an issue of the game running in an odd resolution, is there anyway outside of the game to change it?

It probably is just a resolution your display can't deal with.

Try pressing Alt-Enter. It should bring the game into windowed mode. Then you should be able to change the resolution.
  • edited July 2010
    Just gave that a shot, but no dice. Hitting alt-enter at the black screen just greets me with the windows error noise.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    You can try starting the game in safe mode as Kevin proposes in that thread. If that
    doesn't help try replacing the prefs.prop with the one nulian posted in the same thread.
  • edited July 2010
    I wasn't able to start it in safe mode via Steam, but replacing the existing prefs file with the one you linked to did the trick. I'm in the process of manually applying that for all the SB games now. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.