Peanut Butter Logic

edited July 2010 in Sam & Max
OK this got to me at the time, but I let it slide, thinking it must be an American common knowledge thing, or some sort of fact I don't know about peanut butter, but I've been wondering about it so...

Why did eating peanut butter prevent Sam from getting a lolly into his mouth?

Do people the other side of the pond have a thing where you think peanut butter shrinks your mouth, or what? Maybe peanut butter is known to do that to dogs... Maybe it just meant his mouth was full...

I get the feeling the answer will make me look like an idiot, but I'm still wanting to know :)

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I honestly don't know, and I am from America! I vaguely remember hearing something about dogs and peanut butter, though.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, peanut butter sticks to the roof of your mouth, right? Dogs always have a difficult time getting peanut butter off the roof of their mouths, so you get the continuous licking, which is why Sam was doing that.

Or, at least, that's what I think it is.
  • edited July 2010
    This puzzle introduced me to Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
    True story.
  • edited July 2010
    The way I saw it was that the peanut butter stuck to the roof of his mouth and he was trying to lick it off and couldn't eat something else at the same time. This is hinted at when you try to use the peanut butter ball on somebody and Sam says "I'd better not, they might be one of those whiny arachibutyrophobes" (arachibutyrophobia being the phobia of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth).
  • edited July 2010
    It's not an American thing, it's a common pet knowledge. When it comes to paste-like or sticky substances (whether in their mouths or on their fur), dogs and cats rather lick it off gradually than put any pressure on the sticky mass and eat it instantly. I have no idea why really...
  • edited July 2010
    doesn't seem that common if you're the first to mention it :p but cool, I never knew that... Sam and Max is educational.
  • edited July 2010
    StevenR wrote: »
    This is hinted at when you try to use the peanut butter ball on somebody and Sam says "I'd better not, they might be one of those whiny arachibutyrophobes"
    Or just use it on the clones themselves ;).
  • edited July 2010
    It's an old movie trick. If you want a dog to look like he's talking put peanut butter in his mouth and he'll open his mouth and try and lick it off.
  • edited July 2010
    I know that dogs have a hard time getting peanut butter off the roof of their mouth, but does it really happen to people, I have seen tv shows where people get peanut butter stuck to the roof of their mouth to the point where they cant talk properly. Im just curious is peanut butter in the US really sticky or something coz I have never had it stick to the roof of my mouth.
  • edited July 2010
    StevenR wrote: »
    The way I saw it was that the peanut butter stuck to the roof of his mouth and he was trying to lick it off and couldn't eat something else at the same time. This is hinted at when you try to use the peanut butter ball on somebody and Sam says "I'd better not, they might be one of those whiny arachibutyrophobes" (arachibutyrophobia being the phobia of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth).

There is an actual phobia for that? wow and i thought hippopotomonstrosusquipidaliophobia was strange(it means the fear of long words)
  • edited July 2010
    It's a national pastime. Or something.

And yes, we've done this with our dogs too. All of them. We're terrible people. :C

*is also sad she can't find that "got milk?" commercial from the late 90s*
  • edited July 2010
    I always thought the whole thing was just so Sam couldn't taste the fudgy savor but Grandpa Stinky's Peanut Butter
  • edited July 2010
    I was thinking that Sam is like me; can't tollerate peanutbutter & chocolate together.

The idea of eating warm sticky peanutbutter & a cold fuge popcicle at the same time are also unappealing.
  • edited July 2010
    Fact: They used to get Max to talk by sticking peanut butter to the roof of his mouth. They stopped this however because he kept biting asisstants' hands.
  • edited July 2010
    I've never heard of that. I had no idea what was going on during that puzzle. Is it only common knowledge in America?
  • edited July 2010
    I figured because he was licking involuntarily so much he just kept biting his tongue whenever he tried to take a bite of the ice cream.

Yeah, it's pretty common knowledge here. No clue about anywhere else, though.
  • edited July 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I've never heard of that. I had no idea what was going on during that puzzle. Is it only common knowledge in America?

i don't know. all i thought was "you cant eat while your eating something else", but i thought there was going to be a time limit, like 20 seconds, and then he'd eat the fudgy freeze, so i raced to complete the puzzle and then he kept going at it for 2 more minutes and i was wondering exactly why.
  • edited July 2010
    idk, I've known about this since I was a kid.
  • edited July 2010
    I just tried eating the peanut butter ball and I saw Sam's mouth was full so I just picked up the fudgecicle knowing that he wouldn't be able to eat it. There's nothing overly complicated about it.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, I'm from Germany and still that puzzle didn't confuse me at all... on the other hand, I'm incredibly smart, so that might be the real reason.

(also I tend to exaggerate)
  • edited July 2010
    @ tabstis and laserschwert, I didn't have any trouble solving the puzzle. Nobody on here will have done. The question is why did it work like that.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, I'm from the UK and have never had a dog and knew that, so I don't think being an American dog owner is the only way to know how to solve that puzzle. :p
  • edited July 2010
    @ tabstis and laserschwert, I didn't have any trouble solving the puzzle. Nobody on here will have done. The question is why did it work like that.

Did the game give a hint to everyone about using objects when you picked up the peanut butter? The hints were off, so it was a bit annoying. Then of course there was no difficulty in the puzzle...
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah, I believe that is the "pop-up text" under subtitles. So we should turn that off next time too.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.