Error in S&M 301 & 302

edited August 2010 in Game Support
Hi, I've downloaded 301, 302 & 303 about 3 weeks ago and 304 today.

I've installed 301, however I am having problem loading it. I keep getting the "Telltale Games has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." everytime I try to launch the game.

I then installed 302 but I am getting the same error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    What operating system are you running?
  • edited July 2010
    Also, I assume you downloaded them legally?
  • edited July 2010
    I am using Window XP and yes, the game was download legally, from Telltale.
    Any idea what's causing it? or who I should contact?
  • edited July 2010
    It could be a problem with DirectX. Unfortunately I know nothing about DirectX whatsoever.
  • edited July 2010
    During installation it did asked and updated the DirectX but I didnt see it had any problem updating though.
    Every work fine up to launching the game, which it then shuts down and gave the error above.

These were the error messages if it helps..

301:
    AppName: sammax301.exe AppVer: 2010.4.14.42571 ModName: sammax301.exe
    ModVer: 2010.4.14.42571 Offset: 002cda2c

302:
    AppName: sammax302.exe AppVer: 2010.4.26.42822 ModName: sammax302.exe
    ModVer: 2010.4.26.42822 Offset: 002cdb3c
  • edited July 2010
    When you were downloading them did you use any sort of download manger/download speeder-upper?
  • edited August 2010
    And a random note that has helped some people: do you have your color set to 32-bit? If not, set it to that.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2010
    If the above does not work, please post a dxdiag log. Also try a clean boot.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.

Booting clean in Windows XP:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited August 2010
    I've tried the clean boot, it still doesn't work. I'm still getting the same error.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Please don't forget the dxdiag log so we can analyze it.

In case you have multiple displays you can try disabling all but one.
  • edited August 2010
    dxdiag log file attached.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Card name: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
    Driver Date/Size: 9/20/2005 08:52:38, 36990 bytes

Description: SoundMAX Digital Audio
    Date and Size: 10/29/2004 16:14:44, 260096 bytes

The reason the game doesn't work is that you have a 7 year old integrated graphics chip. You even already have the latest drivers, although they are 5 years old. The sound driver has a little update though.

Sadly your system doesn't have an AGP or PCIe slot, which would enable you to upgrade the graphics card in a decent way. There is a PCI slot though but i don't know if PCI graphics cards perform sufficiently in games.

If you can you should play the game on a system with a discrete graphics card which is not too old.

If there's no way to get it running you can always request a refund at support@telltalegames.com
  • edited August 2010
    So there's nothing I can do to have the graphic card update/upgrade without having to buy a whole new system?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2010
    So there's nothing I can do to have the graphic card update/upgrade without having to buy a whole new system?

Considering that your system is probably 7 years old that would be the best option.

PCI is a very slow bus. There are graphics cards available. With this one you might be able to get it somehow running at low graphics settings. But i wouldn't count on it, and if you try, make sure you can get a refund.

A much better compromise would be analyzing your hardware and upgrading only necessary components to get the best cost benefit ratio.
    That could look something like upgrading Mainboard, Power supply unit and PCIe Graphics.
    That could cost about 100$ for Mainboard and PSU plus whatever you plan on spending on a PCIe graphics card.
    That solution has the charme, that you can reuse the PSU and Graphics card if you decide to upgrade to a better CPU with a different socket later. Therefore it's worth buying decent components.
  • edited August 2010
    sorry for not really contributing, but has anyone else noticed just how 1995 this thread is? I mean, change color to 32-bit? upgrade single components in hope to get something running? those were the days, my friends, those were the days... ;)
  • edited August 2010
    sorry for not really contributing, but has anyone else noticed just how 1995 this thread is? I mean, change color to 32-bit? upgrade single components in hope to get something running? those were the days, my friends, those were the days... ;)

Hey, changing the color to 32-bit worked for this person.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Power46 wrote: »
    Hey, changing the color to 32-bit worked for this person.

16 bit color depth is actually a very common cause for the "... has stopped working" error in TTG Games between Strongbad Episode 5 and ToMI.
    As far as i 've seen earlier Episodes work with 16 bit.
    Sam & Max Season 3 shows a "Could not initialize Direct 3D" Message instead of just crashing.
  • edited August 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    As far as i 've seen earlier Episodes work with 16 bit.

That's interesting. In that case, I would have to guess that they programmed those earlier games in both 16-bit and 32-bit. Why? I have a 64-bit system, yet those earlier games still work under those conditions.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2010
    That's interesting. In that case, I would have to guess that they programmed those earlier games in both 16-bit and 32-bit. Why? I have a 64-bit system, yet those earlier games still work under those conditions.

The 64-bit you are talking about is the register width of the processor. The color depth is something entirely different and influences the number of displayable colors.

The games are compiled for 32-bit Architectures. x86-64 CPUs are 16-bit and 32-bit compatible though.
  • edited August 2010
    The 64-bit you are talking about is the register width of the processor. The color depth is something entirely different and influences the number of displayable colors.

The games are compiled for 32-bit Architectures. x86-64 CPUs are 16-bit and 32-bit compatible though.

Yes, but Windows 64-bit is not compatible with 16-bit programs. Thus, if earlier TT Games were 16-bit, I would not be able to use them on my 64-bit system.
  • edited August 2010
    Yes, but Windows 64-bit is not compatible with 16-bit programs. Thus, if earlier TT Games were 16-bit, I would not be able to use them on my 64-bit system.

They're not 16 bit executables, and never have been. Again, the 16 bit that was being referred to is in terms of color depth, and AFAIK all Telltale games have required 24/32 bpp depth from the start.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2010
    demonfoo wrote: »
    AFAIK all Telltale games have required 24/32 bpp depth from the start.

I recently did some tests with some episodes of Sam&Max S1, S2 and Strongbad because of this issue.
    It looks like they should all run with 16-bit color depth, except Strongbad Episode 5 and later games (ToMI, W&G, S&M S3, Puzzle Agent ...) which require 32-bit color depth.

I found it somehow amusing, because the last Strongbad Episode working with 16-bit color depth is called "8-Bit Is Enough".
  • edited August 2010
    I recently did some tests with some episodes of Sam&Max S1, S2 and Strongbad because of this issue.
    It looks like they should all run with 16-bit color depth, except Strongbad Episode 5 and later games (ToMI, W&G, S&M S3, Puzzle Agent ...) which require 32-bit color depth.

I found it somehow amusing, because the last Strongbad Episode working with 16-bit color depth is called "8-Bit Is Enough".

Hm, maybe it's just some hardware that wouldn't do 3D in 16bpp, I seem to recall this being an issue for some people as far back as S&M Season 1.
This discussion has been closed.