Narrator Appreciation Thread

edited August 2010 in Sam & Max
I feel one aspect of the new series that is going horriblely left out is the creepy twilight zone narator. Other than the beautiful animation the character does a great job of setting up and finishing sequences to the game.

Pure genious awards go to TellTale for this step. It adds to the game breaking up the pace and being refreshing.

It would be fitting and bizzare to find the narrator is somehow a villian in the last episode.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Yeah, I love him too, but apparently some people on the forum find him annoying for some reason...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I love him too, but apparently some people on the forum find him annoying for some reason...
    Its should never be baffling that some people on some forum find something annoying for some reason.
  • edited August 2010
    the narrator is effin creepy XD
  • edited August 2010
    The narrator, he narrates things.
  • edited August 2010
    The narrator, he narrates things.

That bastard!

I do find the Narrator a bit strange, though. He does add to the games, though, the endings somehow feel a bit more twisty with him wrapping things up.
  • edited August 2010
    I love the narrator. Props to the voice actor for putting words together so well. :p

"Keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times, the ride is about to get twisty."
  • edited August 2010
    he freaks me out
  • edited August 2010
    Despite the fact that he's a good character, I wouldn't need to see him in the finale.

He already does his, um, "job" good enough, and if we actually met the Narrator in game he would probably end up being overdone the first second we meet him.
  • edited August 2010
    I have to respectfully disagree. I see the narrator as an incredible amount of time and effort devoted to something that adds absolutely nothing to gameplay. When I think of the resources that went into animating the character, script-writing and voice-overs, etc. for numerous lengthy scenes, I see resources that could have gone into puzzle and gameplay development, areas where TDP is weak (terribly weak in a couple episodes). Narrators are fine for movies, interactive or otherwise; they're rarely necessary in adventure games.
  • edited August 2010
    it add to the the game it who-dent work wife out the narrator
  • edited August 2010
    thom-22 wrote: »
    I have to respectfully disagree. I see the narrator as an incredible amount of time and effort devoted to something that adds absolutely nothing to gameplay. When I think of the resources that went into animating the character, script-writing and voice-overs, etc. for numerous lengthy scenes, I see resources that could have gone into puzzle and gameplay development, areas where TDP is weak (terribly weak in a couple episodes). Narrators are fine for movies, interactive or otherwise; they're rarely necessary in adventure games.

TTGers have stated numerous times that they regard the story at least as important as the gameplay. From this perspective, the Narrator is a perfectly good "tool".
  • edited August 2010
    TTGers have stated numerous times that they regard the story at least as important as the gameplay. From this perspective, the Narrator is a perfectly good "tool".

Doesn't matter how many times something is stated or by whom -- if I have a different opinion I'm going to say so. And for the record, I don't regard story as unimportant nor did I say anything about the narrator not being good at what it was intended to do.
  • edited August 2010
    Of course, everyone needs to act surprised when it turns out that the Narrator was behind the events of this entire season.
  • edited August 2010
    Yes! I wanted to create this thread but never took the time.
    I love the narrator! Every episode, it's like he's greeting me, inviting me inside the mad realm again!
  • edited August 2010
    thom-22 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter how many times something is stated or by whom -- if I have a different opinion I'm going to say so

Conversely, some may not agree with your opinion - and might choose to say so ;)
  • edited August 2010
    Conversely, some may not agree with your opinion - and might choose to say so ;)

It should be obvious I'm aware of that, given the numerous posts above mine that do so and to which I was responding. ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.