Sam and Max 204 Logic

edited December 2010 in Sam & Max
I realize this is a little late, but oh well.
In Chariots of the Dogs, when Sam and Max meet their past selves and the past selves go back into the time machine leaving present S&M to go through the past year and a half again, the past S&M take the recording contract with them, which is needed for the Present S&M to go through the past year and a half again. When the Future S&M get the Recording Contract from the Past S&M, the Past S&M go back to continue their lives. But to do that, Past S&M need the Recording Contract that Future S&M has. Also, Past S&M somehow know that they need to go to the moon, even though the Past S&M are from the events of Episode 2, and S&M don't learn that they have to go to the moon until the begining of Episode 6.

How is any of this possible! Could someone please explain?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    As for the recording contract, remember that Bosco has one behind the counter? They could just buy it from him.
  • edited August 2010
    lombre wrote: »
    As for the recording contract, remember that Bosco has one behind the counter? They could just buy it from him.

Yes, but remember that Sam and Max go through that twice, and Bosco only has one Recording Contract.
  • edited August 2010
    No, they don't, they only go through that once, since future S&M know (is: Once) and the past once no longer need said stuff (since they skipped needing the contract).
  • edited August 2010
    Bosco didn't have a recording contract, he had a video of a chicken eating cow manure for laughs.

Maybe they used their future knowledge to get in some other way?
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah, the whole thing has always bugged me with 204. It's a walking paradox. It bugged me the first time and has been bugging me ever since. But the answer is simple: it's Sam & Max. It doesn't have to make sense.
  • edited August 2010
    There's a lot of things in that episode that don't make sense.

How do the changes to Max's personality wear off? Did past Sam and Max getting the time elevator cause little Sam and Max to change their minds about going to the prom? Or something?

If Bosco's paranoia came from his mother unknowingly stalking him all his life, and the time travel came from Bosco's paranoia, isn't that a paradox?

Why did past Sam and Max want to go to the moon? They don't need to until 106, and they're from 102. And why does past Sam suddenly doubt that it's possible to drive to the moon? He did it in Bad Day on the Moon, and Bad Day on the Moon happened, because there was a picture from it on the wall of the office.

Yes, I am aware that the answers to these are "because it's funny". I just like nitpicking. This stuff doesn't keep me awake at night or anything.
  • edited August 2010
    It's very confusing, like this picture

confusing_sign.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    There's a lot of things in that episode that don't make sense.

How do the changes to Max's personality wear off? Did past Sam and Max getting the time elevator cause little Sam and Max to change their minds about going to the prom? Or something?
    The bigger question is this: Bluster Blaster's abrasive personality came from the time machine's AI. It was because of Bluster Blaster's personality shift that Max suddenly liked girls. But, without interference from the future, Max would have been completely asexual and Bluster Blaster would have been a real pleasant guy. Therefore, in order to have things make sense, BB should have been nice from the very beginning, before the timelines were meddled with.
    If Bosco's paranoia came from his mother unknowingly stalking him all his life, and the time travel came from Bosco's paranoia, isn't that a paradox?
    Bosco's paranoia also has something to do with who his actual father was. Believe it or not, there are an obscene number of conspiracy theories revolving around his untimely death.
    Why did past Sam and Max want to go to the moon? They don't need to until 106, and they're from 102. And why does past Sam suddenly doubt that it's possible to drive to the moon? He did it in Bad Day on the Moon, and Bad Day on the Moon happened, because there was a picture from it on the wall of the office.
    But they didn't drive in Bad Day on the Moon. True, they took the Desoto, but it wasn't running on engine power.
    Yes, I am aware that the answers to these are "because it's funny". I just like nitpicking. This stuff doesn't keep me awake at night or anything.
    The only thing that REALLY bugs me are the Pedros. They're basically the same guy from different points in his life. And yet they don't seem to remember the destruction of the time machine, even though two of them were there before. Even more annoying, they were trapped in time by the destruction of the time machine within a 3 month period of each other. Surely they could have met up later to compare notes?

The mind boggles.
  • edited August 2010
    thats why this episode was so brilliant i bet the point was to wtf us all :D
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010
    If you want to REALLY confuse yourselves, try to figure out the date of ep 205.
  • edited August 2010
    Will wrote: »
    If you want to REALLY confuse yourselves, try to figure out the date of ep 205.

Wait, it's Superball's birthday, isn't it?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010
    Among other things :)

It's also Christmas and the Soda Poppers' birthday. That means it's September 6th, December 25th and December 21st at the same time.
  • edited August 2010

It's also Christmas and the Soda Poppers' birthday. That means it's September 6th, December 25th and December 21st at the same time.

I attribute it to the whole Hell freezing over thing.
  • edited August 2010

I can solve that by saying that a lot of time passed during the episode. Wait, when is it ever said that it is christmas?
  • edited August 2010
    tabstis wrote: »
    I can solve that by saying that a lot of time passed during the episode. Wait, when is it ever said that it is christmas?

It's christmas because in Episode 201 Sam and Max restore 3 christmases and the pit scene is one of them.
  • edited August 2010

That one's easy, someone must playing around with the presidential calendar without us knowing. Either that or all that time traveling in 204 screwed up time and space more than we thought >.>
  • edited August 2010
    the christmas thing from 201 makes no sense, they go to the present christmas but its not christmas its the middle of november, and there was no mention of it being christmas when they visited the toy mafia, so its possible its not christmas in the future and the ghosts were lying
  • edited August 2010
    That's a common misconception. Actually the 201 time travel doesn't go to Christmas itself, it goes to the moment Christmas gets ruined.
  • edited October 2010
    Maybe I missed this, but why was Superball guarding Sam and Max's closet in 204?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2010
    Scnew wrote: »
    Maybe I missed this, but why was Superball guarding Sam and Max's closet in 204?

To be mysterious.
  • edited October 2010
    He was guarding the President's head. Since it was likely that Max would kick the bucket soon, Superball needed it to make an amusing bobblehead in case he was needed elsewhere.
  • edited October 2010
    crfh wrote: »
    He was guarding the President's head. Since it was likely that Max would kick the bucket soon, Superball needed it to make an amusing bobblehead in case he was needed elsewhere.

acctually by sam+max logic, I think this makes sence....

Also Max's personality did change permanently, if you notice in several scenes from the later games, he does show an interest in women (i.e. momma bosco and even the Statue of Liberty! (I think others too))
  • edited October 2010
    That's not that new. Max doesn't like girls, but he occasionally has to be reminded of that. Been that way since the first comic.
  • edited October 2010
    Scnew wrote: »

No one knows yet.
  • edited October 2010
    He's also conveniently keeping the player from finding out what the souvenir from 204 is before actually finishing it --and we still don't know yet!
  • edited October 2010
    Let me see if I can, in a way, fix these paradoxs.

The whole bosco paranoia is obviously not about his mother after him, when he found out about his mother, he assumed everyone else was with her.

Of course since sam and max had to relive a year and a half, it didnt affect that time stream

Sam even noticed the whole I need to get to the moon was wierd.

Superball, is superball so we dont know anything about that.
  • edited October 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    That's not that new. Max doesn't like girls, but he occasionally has to be reminded of that. Been that way since the first comic.

I always just figured this was a conspiracy to keep Max from reproducing and bringing about the birth of the Anti-Christ.

As for the moon, I dunno, maybe they wanted to grab an Elvis-shaped decanter?
  • edited October 2010
    Haha, just to be weird, let's go along with this.

Original Sam and Max simply looked for the Director and asked her for another copy of the contract. If the contract was an unique item, grabbing it from their past selves would have caused a catastrophic temporal paradox.

Past Sam and Max, having scored a time machine for themselves, go to the spaceship because they simply don't know how to operate it. They can choose a destination from the cards, but they don't want to go there. They want to go to the MOON because they want to change the events in Bad Day On the Moon so they can prevent Max's first death from happening.

So when they ask "how do we get to the Moon" they don't want to drive there, they want to use the time machine.

How's that?
  • edited October 2010
    Oooh also Bluster Blaster was so nice until he was forgotten and discarded once the Mortal Kombat arcade machines came out.

And it made him sooo angry and bitter he became abusive and with a tendency to yell and stuff.

Also Max likes girls but he can't be bothered to pursue them. So it's pretty much like he was before :D
  • edited October 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    I always just figured this was a conspiracy to keep Max from reproducing and bringing about the birth of the Anti-Christ.

This makes so much sense XD
  • edited October 2010
    Also Max likes girls but he can't be bothered to pursue them. So it's pretty much like he was before :D

This I suspect is true.

...unless he secretly has the hots for Sam... <.< ... >.>... I cant believe I just said that...

As for the recording Contract...

A Wizard did it... With Magic... That's all you need to know! (lol I know, I need to get off that site, I know...)
  • edited October 2010
    Ashton wrote: »
    This I suspect is true.

...unless he secretly has the hots for Sam... <.< ... >.>... I cant believe I just said that...

You're tapping on pandora's box with that remark around these parts :p
  • edited December 2010

I always figured that Max was polyamourous, yet asexual. He has constantly expressed interest in other women, but he has also expressed interest in other men. If you need proof of this, pick up the engagement ring in 301 with Max around, and talk to Abe on the moon about wrecking his love life. At the same time, Max abhors the thought of looking at naked man, most notably wanting to gouge his eyes out if he saw Sam' "junk" (The Big Sleep), and his reaction to naked Bosco in 305. For all we know, Max could find naked women revolting as well.

In short, Max can find both men and women attractive, but sex and sexual organs disgust him.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.