Cloverfield

edited August 2010 in Sam & Max
*Spoilers for Ep.4 lie ahead. You have been warned*

The ending of Ep.4 left me thinking of one of my favorite movies, Cloverfield. Max became godzilla/LSA-esque, he tore the head off the Statue of Liberty, chucked it to the ground and then stomped off in the direction of downtown Manhattan. Whilst I actually think that this was a reference in of itself; I'm willing to bet that there will be at least one more (perhaps less subtle) Cloverfield reference in Ep.5 (especially after the LOST reference in 'Moai Better Blues').

What do you think (preferably without resorting to the usual Internet Cloverfield bashing)?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I get a more classical monster movie vibe from it and expect that a giant robot or big moth will fight Max,while he climbs the empire state building with Skunk Ape in his hand.
  • edited August 2010
    im thinking about godzilla ... cloverfeild works too
  • edited August 2010
    It's all Lovecraft. I have no doubt that Cloverfield borrowed heavily from Lovecraft and wouldn't be surprised to find out that Gozilla did, too.
  • edited August 2010
    I was happy that I did not think of Cloverfield. One of the worst movies I ever saw.
  • edited August 2010
    Loved "Cloverfield" and had to think of it as well.

Max looked really hideous. Hats off for the design team.

What was that "Lost" reference? (I've just started watching the show on rental dvd, never seen it on tv because it came on too late. I've only seen up to "The Moth" episode, so don't bother explaining if it spoils something.)
  • edited August 2010
    Loved "Cloverfield"

We're in the minority my friend, but it is a great movie ain't it? :D
    What was that "Lost" reference?

I've just started watching the LOST DVDs myself (I missed it on TV too), I'm half way through Season 2 at the moment. I'll try not to spoil anything other than to say that when you get into the first few episodes of LOST Season 2, play 'Moai Better Blues' again, you'll know the reference when you see it ;)

================================================================

Back on topic...

I understand that Telltale were referencing Godzilla, Lovecraft et all but I feel sure that the head being ripped off the statue of liberty in particular was a reference to Cloverfield.

Also, I know there's many who would hate the idea but for the fans... 'Cloverfield: The Videogame' would be awesome. Imagine a story about a new character on that fateful night, using your first-person POV (through the lens of a handheld camera); running away from LSA and his parasites. An epic survival horror! *drool*
  • edited August 2010
    I actually thought of the episode "AAIIIIEEEE Robot" from the Sam and Max : Freelance Police Cartoon. I just pictured a giant Max Robot with Sam operating it fighting the giant Demon Max.
  • edited August 2010
    What you talking about? Cloverfields? Oh you must mean 'Wannabe Godzilla'.
  • edited August 2010
    Never seen the movie, but I have to admit I was reminded of the trailer when the Statue of Liberty's head came crashing down.
  • edited August 2010
    No, that's this guy:

NjAol.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    I've actually been to that intersection. I think I was standing at the end of his little toe.
  • edited August 2010

*sigh* So much for the avoidance of turning this thread into the typical Internet bashing. Could you not have posted this comment on Ain't It Cool's talkback where it belongs? :rolleyes:

P.S. Cloverfield was created as a direct homage to Godzilla, as a way of giving Americans their own city destroying giant monster; so in that respect at least I guess LSA is a Godzilla wannabe.
    No, that's this guy:

NjAol.jpg

Who, Jimmy Hill?! ;)
  • edited August 2010
    Just because it's a homage doesn't mean I hate the genre, it can be a homage and be a poor imitation. That sort of like saying "You hate The Big Bang Theory and Two and Half Men you must hate comedy".
  • edited August 2010
    I thought of Cloverfield too.
    Especially when the head flew ^^

God how I wish there'd be a sequel to it...
  • edited August 2010
    I never saw Cloverfield, so I always assumed that
    Demon Max
    is a mix of Lovecraft's monsters and his behavior of Godzilla or King Kong.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.