Question about graphics card.

edited August 2010 in Game Support
Hello,

I understand that the minimum graphics card needed to run Sam and Max season 3, and Tales of Monkey Island has to have 64mb of memory.

I have an inspiron 5100 laptop with a pentium 4 processor and 512 mb RAM, however it only has a 32 mb graphics card. The Radeon Mobility 7500 to be exact, with driver version, 6.14.0010.6371.

I was wondering if by some miracle someone out there managed to get them to run with a 32mb graphics card.

If anyone knows of a way to get this to work, please reply, or if your 100% certain i will never be able to get these to run on this machine, also please reply.

Thanks for taking the time ot read this

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2010
    The Mobility Radeon 7500 is only DirectX 7.0 compliant. The games would not work properly on it even if your's had more graphics memory, since they require a DirectX 8.1 compliant graphics card.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited August 2010
    I can't answer your question, but I'd suggest that you try the demos:
    Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
    The Penal Zone
    That should at least give you an idea of whether or not they will run on your computer.
    EDIT: From the above post (posted while I was typing mine), it doesn't sound likely.
  • edited August 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    The Mobility Radeon 7500 is only DirectX 7.0 compliant. The games would not work properly on it even if your's had more graphics memory, since they require a DirectX 8.1 compliant graphics card.

Are you sure, i have direct x 9 installed, and after doing dxdiag and doing the direct 3d test it works fine with the 9 test.
  • edited August 2010
    Gbanja wrote: »
    Are you sure, i have direct x 9 installed, and after doing dxdiag and doing the direct 3d test it works fine with the 9 test.

The problem is the engine depends on having features which are only implemented in hardware with the DirectX 8.1 and later generation hardware. If it runs at all (unlikely), it'll be unplayably slow.
  • edited August 2010
    Right ok, well cheers for letting me know, better to know now than to spend ages trying to get it to work i guess.
  • edited August 2010
    It won't work. Much better if you can get a new laptop, they are much cheaper nowadays.
This discussion has been closed.