Tales of Monkey Island Episode 2 (and on) won't run...

edited July 2011 in Game Support
Sorry to raise yet another topic regarding this, but I haven't managed to find a working solution yet. Anyway, I got the DVD version of TOMI and managed to install it and play through episode 1 without any problems. Now, trying to hit up episode two, I encountered an issue that seems to have been showing up for quite some time here: the game takes absurdly long time to load up and then turns into a black screen with the classic "program isn't responding" windows error.

What I tried so far:
*Reinstalling the game.
*Downloading two preference files from here. Neither did anything notable, although one managed to get the crash in a window instead of fullscreen.
*Updating drivers/directX.

What I haven't tried so far:
*Formatting.
*Plugging in graphical tablets, joysticks, external controllers or whatever that was on account of never having any.

Now, I am a bit curious. While it's true that my computer's specs are somewhat lacking (an Asus laptop with an integrated Intel 945 for graphics), having been able to run (and complete) the first game should mean my hardware is sufficient, right? So why exactly would episode 2 (and on) act differently?

Any input (/possible solutions I haven't tried out yet) would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and the system is Vista 32, all the updates and SP installed.

Cheers.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Does the downloadable version work? I know that doesn't help much, but it might hold you over until you get a solution.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Intel graphics chip are not officially supported. Some might work sometimes with some driver versions, but it's better to get a decent graphics card/chip.

How long did you wait after the black screen? I've read of people wit Intel graphics who had to wait 5 minutes until the game started.

You can also post a dxdiag log to give us more information.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited August 2010
    Alright, not sure how that can help, but here's my dxdiag dump.
    Anyway, I know about the whole integrated graphics card business (and, sadly, can't get a better one, using a laptop), but the thing that puzzles me is that Episode 1 worked perfectly, and I doubt the latter episodes have much bigger requirements.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Sadly i don't see a solution for your laptop, except maybe one of those external graphics cards.
    I don't know if that's the case here, but there were changing requirements before in Wallace & Gromit.

If you can't get it to run you can request a refund as mentioned in that thread.
  • edited July 2011
    Hey guys,

I was having this problem for the same reason as you (using an Intel GMA 950 graphics card) and the only way I could find to actually get to play the game was:

1) Load episode 2 up as before (this takes 5-10 minutes, so go make a cup of tea or something while you're waiting).

2) The mouse movement will be slow and jerky as hell. Put up with this for the moment and go over to Settings, then go to Graphics Settings. Bring the quality all the way down to 1, then click Apply. Again, this'll take a minute or two to take effect.

3) When it does, however, the mouse movement will be fairly fluid and you'll be able to play the game, albeit a bit jerkily (and I'm sure it looks a great deal more fabulous when the quality is on 10).

It's not really all that satisfactory, but at least you can play the game. Can't do anything about that 5-10 minutes wait for it to load up, though, so you might want to take up something like these chaps for those few minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkD9LwDBWW0).

Hope this helps someone,

VL
This discussion has been closed.