Dog & rabbit.

edited August 2010 in Sam & Max
I could swear I once saw something that said what specific type of dog & rabbit Sam & Max were based on, but I can't remember where.

They look like a Labrador Retriever & an Arctic Hare. (To which my friend Bethany jokes they look like the Mad Hatter & the March Hare).

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Well, Sam is based off of an Irish Wolfhound, but I've never heard of Max's specific breed of rabbit of basis.
  • edited August 2010
    Max is the result of genetic experiments that were conducted back in 1901 and then transferred to another generation about a century later.

If you look closely, Max is a mixture of a melon, a rabbit, and an unholy abomination we all refer to as "Toxic waste".
  • edited August 2010
    Cheri wrote: »
    Well, Sam is based off of an Irish Wolfhound, but I've never heard of Max's specific breed of rabbit of basis.

Lagomorph
  • edited August 2010
    I never heard any one but fans say Sam is based on an Irish Wolfhound so I don't think you can say it's based on one. Unless there's somebody with a quote saying other wise.
  • edited August 2010
    Lagomorph

A lagomorph isn't a specific breed of rabbit. It's just a different word for rabbit. At least, I think so...
  • edited August 2010
    Lagomorph is the taxonomic order. If Max wanted to be specific as to what classification of Lagomorph he was, he'd refer to himself as 'Leporidae', which is the family for rabbit and hare species.
  • edited August 2010
    "Lagomorph" is actually less specific than rabbit. It's an order of mammals that includes hares, rabbits, and pikas.

Edit: Woops. Cheri beat me to it.
  • edited August 2010
    I never heard any one but fans say Sam is based on an Irish Wolfhound so I don't think you can say it's based on one. Unless there's somebody with a quote saying other wise.

Yeah. I don't believe it either until there's an actual quote saying he is one. Most people base this rumor on one occasion that he mentions he was drooling like one. (I forgot which TT episode, sorry.) The keyword was "like". It doesn't mean he is one.

But he is definitely in the hound group.
  • edited August 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Max is the result of genetic experiments that were conducted back in 1901 and then transferred to another generation about a century later.

If you look closely, Max is a mixture of a melon, a rabbit, and an unholy abomination we all refer to as "Toxic waste".

I thought he qualified as a mineral.
  • edited August 2010
    You know, it would make sense for sam to be a bloodhound.
  • edited August 2010
    He identifies himself as such in Hit The Road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwocQW62xKA#t=6m0s
  • edited August 2010
    Randulf wrote: »
    He identifies himself as such in Hit The Road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwocQW62xKA#t=6m0s

Boy, I forgot that one. I stand corrected (and I have a better understanding of the word "cur")!

But I still think he's a mutt. He has the size of an Irish Wolfhound but the body of a Bloodhound or Bavarian Mountain Hound.
  • edited August 2010
    I remember reading some place that in Freelance Police it would explain the origin of the talking animal duo and something or other about a lab.
  • edited August 2010
    I remember reading some place that in Freelance Police it would explain the origin of the talking animal duo and something or other about a lab.

That reminds me, when I first watched the cartoon (with hardly any knowledge of the comics or games), I thought they were Darla's pets/science experiments. ^^;
  • edited August 2010
    what a blast from the past. I can remember playing this game almost 20 years ago. And I must say, they haven't aged a bit.
  • edited August 2010
    Breakman wrote: »
    That reminds me, when I first watched the cartoon (with hardly any knowledge of the comics or games), I thought they were Darla's pets/science experiments. ^^;

I originally thought the buiulding was an appartment complex untill Darla sorta mentioned they were practically bumbing off her. At some point I figures she was possibly not really a kid & actually a vertically impared adult.

As for the S&MHTR reference, that's probably it. I played it right before season 3 came out. Speaking of that game, I can't seem to fing the "save" option on it.
  • edited August 2010
    That would have made a lot of sense.

I was looking up rabbit breeds, and Max could be a New Zealand White, which are albino. It's hard to tell if Max is albino or not, though. I don't have much experience with rabbits, but I think that they're usually not pure white like Max is.
  • edited August 2010
    LikaLaruku wrote: »
    I originally thought the buiulding was an appartment complex untill Darla sorta mentioned they were practically bumbing off her. At some point I figures she was possibly not really a kid & actually a vertically impared adult.

As for the S&MHTR reference, that's probably it. I played it right before season 3 came out. Speaking of that game, I can't seem to fing the "save" option on it.

There is none, you have to complete it in one go. Start early in the day.
  • edited August 2010
    LikaLaruku wrote: »

F5, I think.
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah. Most people base this rumor on one occasion that he mentions he was drooling like one. (I forgot which TT episode, sorry.) .

Actually, he said that in the comic Bad Day on the Moon, and it wasn't Irish Wolfhound. To quote, "Ooh, I'm drooling like a Norwegian Elkhound."

Though it is possible he could have said it again in an episode, I don't recall either.
  • edited August 2010
    I always assumed Max was a Minorcan Giant Lagomorph.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minorcan_Giant_Lagomorph
  • edited August 2010
    I always assumed Max was a Minorcan Giant Lagomorph.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minorcan_Giant_Lagomorph

Fifty pounds, short legs, and an upright vertebrae? You mean there was an entire species of Max-es at one point and I didn't get to hug them?????
Sign in to comment in this discussion.