Zeitgeist Game Review - The City That Dares Not Sleep

edited August 2010 in Sam & Max
Video Review Posted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPOZLEEbDqU

Caution, if you are sensitive to spoilery material, I would avoid this. While I don't consider it spoilery, there are those of you out there who I'm sure would. #Read sensitive to seeing early game-play footage ;-)

Enjoy!

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I'll watch this after I play the game for myself. I always do that with reviews so I can compare our opinions and see how much they differ.
  • edited August 2010
    While I don't consider it spoilery, there are those of you out there who I'm sure would.

Um, you give away MAJOR spoilers (new/recurring characters) within the first minute. I'm sure most people consider that spoilery.

That said, you still did a good review.

What software did you use to make your opening thingy and/or transition clips?
  • edited August 2010
    Um, you give away MAJOR spoilers (new/recurring characters) within the first minute. I'm sure most people consider that spoilery.

That said, you still did a good review.

Haha yea, I don't consider showing characters who appear in an episode a spoiler, though I point that out to those who do.
  • edited August 2010

My animations were created with Adobe After Effects.
  • edited August 2010
    Haha yea, I don't consider showing characters who appear in an episode a spoiler, though I point that out to those who do.
    I suppose everyone has their own ideas. This is, I suppose, the main risk with video reviews, because they are difficult to skip over if you are trying to avoid certain parts!
    My animations were created with Adobe After Effects.
    Ah, yes... prohibitively expensive for me at this time, unfortunately.
  • edited August 2010
    I suppose everyone has their own ideas. This is, I suppose, the main risk with video reviews, because they are difficult to skip over if you are trying to avoid certain parts!

Agreed... But then again, I don't enjoy reading, so video is the way to go for me ;-)
  • edited August 2010
    Agreed... But then again, I don't enjoy reading, so video is the way to go for me ;-)

Well, if you have the equipment, why not?
  • edited August 2010
    Not watching till the game comes out. So freaking excited right now!
  • edited August 2010
    I just spoiled myself. But it was worth it, I was worried about
    Papierwaite and Norrington
  • edited August 2010
    Zeitgeist, I can understand why it is hard to avoid spoilers in the review. What I don't get is why for previous episodes (and probably for this episode), you have put gameplay videos up where the main villain is revealed...
  • edited August 2010
    tabstis wrote: »
    Zeitgeist, I can understand why it is hard to avoid spoilers in the review. What I don't get is why for previous episodes (and probably for this episode), you have put gameplay videos up where the main villain is revealed...

Hmmm... Ask me this question again after playing through this episode and you'll see why.
  • edited August 2010
    Well, that video was full of the world's most stupid a sucky spoilers. *Sigh* at least Telltale took my request and gave Jurgen his awesome 1901 suit, gave Lincoln a body, and let us use
    Sam
    as the psychic master. All and All, your review has taught me that you need big help when it comes to stuff like this. Good try though.
  • edited August 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Well, that video was full of the world's most stupid a sucky spoilers. *Sigh* at least Telltale took my request and gave Jurgen his awesome 1901 suit, gave Lincoln a body, and let us use
    Sam
    as the psychic master. All and All, your review has taught me that you need big help when it comes to stuff like this. Good try though.

I didn't exactly follow what you were trying to say. What is a stupid and sucky spoiler?
  • edited August 2010
    I didn't exactly follow what you were trying to say. What is a stupid and sucky spoiler?

I think he's saying you gave away lots of stuff
  • edited August 2010
    I think he's saying you gave away lots of stuff

Like what? The only thing worthy of being given away in this episode is who the villain is and how the story ends, neither of which I revealed.
  • edited August 2010
    Hmmm... Ask me this question again after playing through this episode and you'll see why.

Asking same question again...
  • edited August 2010
    Asking same question again...

Aye, and did I reveal the villain in the video?
  • edited August 2010
    Aye, and did I reveal the villain in the video?

Hmmm... you did in the gameplay video for 304. But I guess in the end,
    there was no true villain
  • edited August 2010
    Hmmm... you did in the gameplay video for 304. But I guess in the end,
    there was no true villain

304 displayed an image of the villain, but it was not revealed that he was in fact the villain. For all anyone knew at the time they watched the video, it was simply an image of the toy of power in the episode.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm really quite irritated at the video of the villain reveal. I happened to search Sam and Max on youtube yesterday to see if there were any anticipation videos, and the first thing that came up were the words "villain reveal" with a picture of the villain...
    My gaming experience was worse than it could have been because of that.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm really quite irritated at the video of the villain reveal. I happened to search Sam and Max on youtube yesterday to see if there were any anticipation videos, and the first thing that came up were the words "villain reveal" with a picture of the villain...

I had that but with a review. Look at this: SPOILERS
    http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/reviews/600/
    I saw that yesterday morning. Picture on the bottom right. Luckily it is slightly ambiguous but it gave too much away for me.
  • edited August 2010

Well did you watch the video of the villain reveal? Just because YouTube's thumbnail actually showed who the villain ended up being, doesn't mean that is what the content of the video was going to reveal. It seems you are using hindsight to make something appear much worse than it actually was.
  • edited August 2010
    I didn't watch the vid. I kept myself off youtube for the day. Then at the start of the game, during the opening speech, my thoughts were predominantly
    "it's him, it's him"
    and then the reveal came as little surprise.
    I'm not laying into ya cos of it, but would strongly encourage you not to do that again.
  • edited August 2010
    I didn't watch the vid. I kept myself off youtube for the day. Then at the start of the game, during the opening speech, my thoughts were predominantly
    "it's him, it's him"
    and then the reveal came as little surprise.
    I'm not laying into ya cos of it, but would strongly encourage you not to do that again.

Haha, well that's not my fault that the video popped up at the top of the list. That's my most watched video yesterday. It was at the top because people watched it, interested to spoil themselves.
  • edited August 2010
    Haha, well that's not my fault that the video popped up at the top of the list. That's my most watched video yesterday. It was at the top because people watched it, interested to spoil themselves.

And if you hadn't made it possible, they wouldn't have spoiled themselves. :cool:
  • edited August 2010
    And if you hadn't made it possible, they wouldn't have spoiled themselves. :cool:

Agreed, though I have 60,000 subscribers and some of them asked for that video specifically.
  • edited August 2010

Sorry but it is your fault. If you don't want to see spoilers do not look for them.
    I watched the review yesterday since I subscribed to Zeitgeist anways and the review was good as usual. There were minor spoilers in it but this was really minor stuff.
    The villain-reveal-video is on another channel I did not subscribe to on purpose and did not show up for me. I wouldn't even know it exists if you had not written about it.
    And just to state it again: it's your risk. If you cannot hold back on searching videos on a game you do not want to see spoilers for only you are to blame.

128930169336086766.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    I didn't look for spoilers. I watched a video someone had made with the characters dancing that hyped the release, and searched for Sam and Max, on the main youtube search, and it was the first result to appear.
    My actions were the same level of "looking for spoilers" as just browsing this forum is.
  • edited August 2010
    I think dood has a point here. If the video had been put up after the game's release, it would be understandable. It is hard to believe that anyone would put up a video with such a major spoiler before the game was even released...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.