.... What? (End spoilers)

edited September 2010 in Sam & Max
Hey fellow forum browsers, I've been wondering if you can help me clear this up since I didn't get ANYTHING about 305.

In the beginning the Narrator said that at least one of the featured characters on the paintings would betray
Sam & Max, but there is absolutely no confirmation to this at ALL. In fact, everything the Narrator says after that, who the main villain was is completely whacked out and makes no sense.

And all this time, past Max is apparently blowing up a monster Sam and traveling to
the future where Sam is, very much not blown up and very alive. Which also means that Max never got to ever use his psychic powers and turn into a giant monster, so that present shouldn't even exist!!

What the heck just happened? I didn't understand one bit of the finale other then the fact that it was completely awesome and that this might be result of Sam & Max based humor but I still don't get it. Shed some light please, I'm in the dark.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Hey fellow forum browsers, I've been wondering if you can help me clear this up since I didn't get ANYTHING about 305.

In the beginning the Narrator said that at least one of the featured characters on the paintings would betray
    Sam & Max, but there is absolutely no confirmation to this at ALL. In fact, everything the Narrator says after that, who the main villain was is completely whacked out and makes no sense.

It was one of those characters you saw on the wall. Because you could clearly see the Narrator on the wall. Not a painting, but he never said it'd be a painting.

And all this time, past Max is apparently blowing up a monster Sam and traveling to
    the future where Sam is, very much not blown up and very alive. Which also means that Max never got to ever use his psychic powers and turn into a giant monster, so that present shouldn't even exist!!

Past Max never used his psychic powers, yes. But present should exist since... The one died is the Max Prime.
    What the heck just happened? I didn't understand one bit of the finale other then the fact that it was completely awesome and that this might be result of Sam & Max based humor but I still don't get it. Shed some light please, I'm in the dark.
    Yep, it's Sam and Max, being Sam and Max, although a little bit more emotional this time.
  • edited August 2010
    IIRC, he never actually said one of the characters in the painting, he only said one of these characters while showcasing the wall, him standing in the middle.
  • edited August 2010
    Don't worry, there are answers to all of these.
    The whole narrator in the beginning thing, he was either referring to himself or to Girl Stinky and Sal. As you learn later in the episode, the Narrator wants Max to explode, thus, he's kinda betraying Max and ultimately causes his death. Girl Stinky and Sal (Girl Stinky was the one in charge, Sal later has a change of heart) planned to kill Grampa Stinky, along with other nefarious plans she had in mind. According to Sal, they'd been doing this kind of thing for decades. She was never actually created by Grampa Stinky, she only made him think that. Oh, and she's a mermaid. Skun'kape also betrays Sam and Max, but he wasn't really good to begin with, so it's not much of a surprise.

As for the second issue, have you played Season 2 of Sam and Max? If so,
    remember in 204 when you bring Sam and Max back from episode 102? Before the ship self-destructs at the end of the episode, the other Sam and Max go into the time machine and escape, thus having their own adventures for a while until the alternate Sam becomes a monster and is blown up by Max. Max then decides to find the original Sam via time machine.
  • edited August 2010
    Sushigumi, your top paragraph is pure spoilers & needs to be whited out. As for the part you actually put spoiler brackets on; it's safe to assume that 98% of the people in the S&M forum have already played that season.
  • edited August 2010
    LikaLaruku wrote: »
    Sushigumi, your top paragraph is pure spoilers & needs to be whited out. As for the part you actually put spoiler brackets on; it's safe to assume that 98% of the people in the S&M forum have already played that season.

Well, the title itself warns that there are spoilers, but if you say so.

Also, I know a few people who have played Season 3 but not Season 2.
  • edited August 2010
    I liked the ending. To cover a few of your points:
    The Narrator said you could see the mastermind before you, he did not say it was one of the paintings

As for the ending:
    In 204: Chariot of the Dogs we we're travelling in that time machine and travelled back to the TV studio in 102: Situation: Comedy. The Sam & Max there stole the time machine, forcing our Sam & Max to relive everything from 102 through to 204 in order to regain a time machine. A glaring loophole in this plot was the Sam & Max from episode 102 now wandering through time and space were just left to exist.

This ending tied that up by killing off our Max and Past Sam then unite the remaining two.
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah, he said a char you see, not one of the paintings. Instantly you knew it was him (I knew at least) by that wording. Bit of a shame.

And I agree the ending is, well, kind of lame...
  • edited August 2010
    Here, maybe this will help.

SamandMaxtimeline.png
  • edited August 2010
    Nice visual explanation! :D
  • edited August 2010
    Okay now I sort of get it, thanks everyone!
  • edited August 2010
    Fazz wrote: »
    Nice visual explanation! :D

It needs to be done on a chalkboard, though. You know, for greater effect.
  • edited August 2010
    Like thiiiiiiiiiiiiis?

bttf2timeline.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    Bingo! :D
  • edited August 2010
    bttf2timeline.jpg

AH! The questions are all answered, it all makes sense now!
  • edited August 2010
    Here, maybe this will help.

SamandMaxtimeline.png

Someone should make a screencap of this & put it up on the Sam & Max Wiki ^_^
  • edited August 2010
    Why screencap, instead of, you know, just putting it up? o___o
  • edited August 2010
    What I don't understand is.... If the Time-travel paradox versions of Sam and Max are basically the same as the original, and if Max blows up Sam in an alternate timeline... Does that mean that Sam does have the ability to use the psychic toys?
  • edited August 2010
    What I don't understand is.... If the Time-travel paradox versions of Sam and Max are basically the same as the original, and if Max blows up Sam in an alternate timeline... Does that mean that Sam does have the ability to use the psychic toys?

I believe Sam A's transformation of a big giant has nothing to do with psychic powers or toys.
  • edited August 2010
    Zeek wrote: »
    It needs to be done on a chalkboard, though. You know, for greater effect.

Explanationofseason3ending2.png
    Creds to GuruGuru214
  • edited August 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    I believe Sam A's transformation of a big giant has nothing to do with psychic powers or toys.
    Yeah, Max A says that Sam A had "electromagnetic powers" instead of "psychic powers."

Different mechanism, basically the same result.
  • edited August 2010
    ATMachine wrote: »
    Yeah, Max A says that Sam A had "electromagnetic powers" instead of "psychic powers."

Different mechanism, basically the same result.

Someone needs to draw a fanart of Electromangetic Samzilla.
  • edited August 2010
    There's already one in the fanart thread.
  • edited August 2010
    the narrator said one of the characters you see before you will betray sam and max, wasn't the narrator before us? The max you see at the end is the time-travelling max you see at 204, when the original sam and max went back to 102, the sam and max from 102 stole the time machine and went back to the ship, then they escaped before the ship exploded stopping the originals from escaping using the time elevator
  • edited August 2010
    i looked at the wiki of max x, and i disagree with it. It said sam x gained psychic powers and max x never. I believe max x does have psychic powers he just hasn't been near any toys to try them out, he's the same person after all. Also sam x turned into a electromagnetic monster, which has nothing to do with psychic toys.
  • edited August 2010
    Harald B and I debated that one out over here. Nobody's edited the wiki yet, though. I'll see what I can come up with.

Edit: Okay, I've done my best on the article. Better?
  • edited August 2010
    That timeline image explains it well; but it is flawed. I think this is slightly more accurate:
    timelineq.png
    Notes:
    A) As most of this episode is played via Astral Projection as Sameth and Maximus in normal chronological order most of these events happened years before season 1.
    B) The point at which Sam & Max steal a time machine from their future-selves diverting from the original timeline.
    C) The point at which Past Sam & Max steal the time machine, forcing our Sam & Max into the game timeline (aka the timeline the games follow)
    D) The two years of cases re-lived (thought no played) by Sam & Max due to lose of time machine.
    E) The point at which Game Timeline Sam (having killed Max) and Paradox Timeline Max (having killed Sam) come together, clearing everything back up into a singular timeline.
  • edited August 2010
    Emo Hoe wrote: »
    That timeline image explains it well; but it is flawed. I think this is slightly more accurate:
    timelineq.png
    exploding_head.jpg
    Emo Hoe wrote: »
    Notes:
    A) As most of this episode is played via Astral Projection as Sameth and Maximus in normal chronological order most of these events happened years before season 1.
    B) The point at which Sam & Max steal a time machine from their future-selves diverting from the original timeline.
    C) The point at which Past Sam & Max steal the time machine, forcing our Sam & Max into the game timeline (aka the timeline the games follow)
    D) The two years of cases re-lived (thought no played) by Sam & Max due to lose of time machine.
    E) The point at which Game Timeline Sam (having killed Max) and Paradox Timeline Max (having killed Sam) come together, clearing everything back up into a singular timeline.

Wouldn't count the A part as Sam and Max's timeline that way since Sam and Max are watching a movie. Because of this big paranthesis I still think that episode counts in the prime timeline only. Oh well, it's still a nice nod for Sameth and Maximus though, I guess. nvm.
  • edited August 2010
    I never said it was a time line of Sam & Max specifically.
    And it is not at all incorrect that most of 302s events did happen all them years ago; but it is confusing hence I annotated it.
    Equally I haven't removed it from the normal time line, it's right there on the top row.
  • edited August 2010
    That's really not any different from my timeline except that I didn't bother sticking 302 out in front, since technically it was all being viewed in the present anyway.
  • edited August 2010
    Except for the fact that it's more complicated when you look at it first because Timeline Prime is in the middle (instead of on the top), and the phrases "Game Timeline" and "Original Timeline" don't really explain theirselves.
  • edited August 2010
    its not an alternate timeline, its the same timeline, just set in the future, max A came from the future, thats why theres no mention of another monster destroying the city
  • edited August 2010
    Thats a lot better, i just read it, that makes more sense now, no mention of sam having psychic powers is good, cause thats not what happened, thanks
  • edited September 2010
    Shouldn't the timeline split after being joined again? I mean, different endings...
  • edited September 2010
    henke37 wrote: »
    Shouldn't the timeline split after being joined again? I mean, different endings...

There not really that different. The time machine was there for them to use anyway now whether they walked off or not. Telltale are not going to release two different episodes for the next series.
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah 1 otpion was heading off into city to fight crime and machine dissappeared.
    Other was to have some adventures in time.

We can safely say start of season 4 it'll jsut be that Sam & Max are "back to work" having adventured/crime fought and the time machine will be gone.
  • edited September 2010
    There is multiply endings to 305. Replay the end of the episode and you will find out.
  • edited September 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    True, Max A says "electromagnetical powers" or something like this. Max Prime had psychic powers. So the source is not the same.

I am the only who thought on Paper Mario 2 and Luigi's side not seen adventure when Max A explains his adventure whit Giant Evil Sam A?
  • edited September 2010
    [QUOTE=I am the only who thought on Paper Mario 2 and Luigi's side not seen adventure when Max A explains his adventure whit Giant Evil Sam A?[/QUOTE]

I think I speak for everyone here when I say, huh?
  • edited September 2010
    I think I speak for everyone here when I say, huh?

In Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, you run into Luigi between levels, and each time he tells you more about an adventure he's on that has many parallels to your own but at the same time is just a bit different.
  • edited September 2010
    In Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, you run into Luigi between levels, and each time he tells you more about an adventure he's on that has many parallels to your own but at the same time is just a bit different.

I think the actual confusion is because the "question"(it didn't look like a question until the question mark at the end) didn't really make any sense the way it was structured.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.