Unanswered Questions in 305...

edited September 2010 in Sam & Max
So I finished the episode but there are some things this season that I am still wondering about...

1. What did Sal mean by DECADES???
2. Did Giant Max really explode?
3. Why did Girl Stinky suddenly want to help Skunkape?
4. What happened to Bluster Blaster's future vision?
5. When was Sal's future vision from 304? (The one where he tells someone to run)

Comments

• edited August 2010
    1. Decades when?
    2. Yes
    3. Skunkape was Stinky's bitch
    4. Season 4, or he was on Skunkape's ship at the end
    5. Don't remember that one
  • edited August 2010
    It was only in this episode that I began to suspect that Grampa Stinky was inhuman. Unless his body survived being blown up in the vacuum of space (& Girl Stinky did say he couldn't be killed), then I guess we'll never know.
  • edited August 2010
    LikaLaruku wrote: »
    It was only in this episode that I began to suspect that Grampa Stinky was inhuman. Unless his body survived being blown up in the vacuum of space (& Girl Stinky did say he couldn't be killed), then I guess we'll never know.

You clearly see
    the space ape that Grandpa Stinky was transferred into in the cloning chamber when you're astral projecting and again in the ending cutscene (notice he's wearing Stink'ys sailor hat now)[ so he's alive. Just not with his original body.
  • edited August 2010
    1:
    Despite what Grampa Stinky believes, Girl Stinky wasn't created by him. She and Sal went around killing people and I'm guessing stealing their diners. I don't know the details, but she and Sal have been in cahoots since even before Season 1.
    2: See The Highway's answer.
    3: See The Highway's answer.
    4: See The Highway's answer.
    5: I don't remember such a thing.
  • edited August 2010
    Hold on... we didn't see Harry Moleman at all this episode. And didn't Gordon say he would return?
  • edited August 2010
    Now to think of it, what was that joke about Sam mixing Skunkape's name for Harry? I was suspecting him to be the main villain and all so it was rather... You-know-what.
  • edited August 2010
    3) Skunkape and Girl Stinky were in cahoots before the beginning and Sal was an easy pawn to use.

I'm rather disappointed we didn't see a newborn Lincoln-Pandemik.
  • edited August 2010
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    3) Skunkape and Girl Stinky were in cahoots before the beginning and Sal was an easy pawn to use.

I don't think Stinky was faking. She grabbed onto Sal just before being taken by Skunkape and she was willing to kill Flint to get him off the trail... I'd like to hear some answers from Telltale on this...
  • edited August 2010

Season 4
  • edited August 2010
    Argh, Telltale really knows how to make waiting for new seasons easier!!
  • edited August 2010
    I really hope season 4 comes, I thought either the molemen, superball or the narrator was gonna be the main villain. As they were each very suspicious. Also molemen featured in every episode this season except the finale (just like the soda poppers in season 2 except they featured most often if you understand what I mean.)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010
    Did anyone notice the posters in Papierwaites theater in 302? Stinky and Sal have been around a while.
  • edited August 2010
    Oh! That is interesting.
  • edited August 2010
    Woah, nice touch Telltale!
  • edited August 2010
    In episode 5 of season 2 stinky gets turned into a cake when grandpa stinky read from the book you give him. Is this considered non canon?
  • edited August 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the posters in Papierwaites theater in 302? Stinky and Sal have been around a while.

Yes, the Mermaid and the Cockroach. I'm guessing that's why Stinky has been alive for such a long time but what about Sal? (I mean that mermaids can probably live for a long time...)
  • edited August 2010
    If sal died due to the radio-activity from the maimtron, how come sam jr survives when he tries going down? And when i first played this episode i left sam jr on the craving plate when max explodes.
  • edited August 2010
    sam jr comes straight back up
  • edited August 2010

Oh! Nice touch! I also kind of liked how Flint detailed Sal and Stinky's plan, and Stinky confirmed that she was a mermaid. It made Flint seem a lot more capable than he previously was.

Hecks, it seems like this entire episode was devoted to bringing Sam and Max closer to their comic book roots, from Flint's knife stuck in his back to Max grinning and saying "It was horrible!" at the end.

I wish I knew more about Sal and Stinky's backstory. Especially since Stinky was talking about the destruction in the city as if she and Sal planned it all along (even it's later implied that they didn't). And there's a lot of other things that aren't quite cleared up by the finale. This definitely calls for a season four, or at least a secret sixth episode.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm really looking forward to the commentary to clear up any loose ends involving the supposed deaths, the backgrounds of Stinky and Sal and also the reasoning behind the actions of the villains...
  • edited August 2010
    tabstis wrote: »
    5. When was Sal's future vision from 304? (The one where he tells someone to run)
    Probably along there with the "not the crysler building" and "I hate to do this buddy* [shoots]

Other question; due to the SFX when Sybil's water broke (and Norrington's comment), does anyone else think Abe isn't the father but either Bluster Blaster (machine or stone, whatever) or... ... ... BOSCO!
  • edited August 2010
    Other question; due to the SFX when Sybil's water broke (and Norrington's comment), does anyone else think Abe isn't the father but either Bluster Blaster (machine or stone, whatever) or... ... ... BOSCO!

As mentioned by others, Abe's on the penny.
  • edited August 2010
    Probably along there with the "not the crysler building" and "I hate to do this buddy* [shoots]

I like your thinking but Lombre is right.
  • edited August 2010

...I kinda shoved that off as just a reference to them.
  • edited August 2010
    I must admit I thought the Mermaid & Cockroach ad in 1901 was just some concept art that had found its way into the game for the in-joke and fan service. It wasn't until the spoilers about the finale came out that I had any reason to doubt that Girl Stinky was anything other than an animated evil cake.
  • edited August 2010
    wellgolly wrote: »
    Why on earth does Lincoln have a body?

13 months is a long time. More than enough time for Government-Sanctioned sculptors to make him a new body.
  • edited August 2010
    WITH rocketboots, don't forget the rocketboots.

My only real question would be, how could Sybil and Abe...you know...I think I'll prefer to leave the answer to that as "biology is disgustingly fascinating" like that fake Max said...
  • edited August 2010
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    WITH rocketboots, don't forget the rocketboots.

My only real question would be, how could Sybil and Abe...you know...I think I'll prefer to leave the answer to that as "biology is disgustingly fascinating" like that fake Max said...

Like when Superball lets it be known he really really really wanted to see Featherly lay an egg. I know the whole watching thing was supposed to be funny but Superball had more of a 14yo boy wanting to see boobies air to it than scientific curiosity. You are extremely disturbing, Superball!
  • edited August 2010
    lombre wrote: »
    As mentioned by others, Abe's on the penny.
    Yeah, read it in the other thread about 15 min after asking here.

So many posts to catch up to...
  • bai_ganyobai_ganyo Banned
    edited August 2010

I'm disappointed there was no office and no Bosco!
  • edited September 2010
    bai_ganyo wrote: »
    I'm disappointed there was no office and no Bosco!

There was no way to incorporate these into the story. They did well with Sybil and Lincoln. A little too well.
  • edited September 2010
    In episode 5 of season 2 stinky gets turned into a cake when grandpa stinky read from the book you give him. Is this considered non canon?

Look around the cloning chamber in episode 305. It's explained. How can you even miss it if you've finished the game?
  • edited September 2010
    Near as I can figure, there are only two explanations for the whole Sal/Stinky quagmire.

1. They're both red herrings created by The Narrator. He'd been planning to kill Max off with psychic energy for years, and he needed some pawns to throw Sam and Max (and everyone else) off his trail. He had Stinky pretend to be some nautical-themed Granddaughter of Grandpa Stinky, knowing that the Toybox was beneath the diner, where Stinky commissioned Molemen workers to create large tunnels leading from the diner to the toybox, and from the diner to everywhere the Toybox and toys would be. He got Sal to apply for jobs at Papierwaite's museum and the docks to make sure the Toybox didn't get into the wrong hands (i.e. Anyone but Max's). He also used Astral Projection to project them into the past through the "Mermaid and the Cockroach" poster, to give them some backstory (and to keep an eye on Max while he was in Maximus. Possibly also so they could get the film right after it was made.) He also made them lovers so that they could cover for each other while setting up the plan, and because every story needs a pair of star-crossed lovers. This would also explain why
    Charlie Ho-Tep
    could control them; Like Sam, they were made to be controlled.

OR

2. Grandpa Stinky is really NEPTUNE, GOD OF THE SEA!!! Stinky is one of his granddaughters who disobeyed him and married a cockroach man she fell in love with. Grandpa punished her by turning her back into the dirt she was made from
    (prehistoric tar, dead fish, glacial ice, and coffee lost in shipwrecks)
    . Sal managed to turn her back using a rib from the skeleton of a shipwrecked sailor, but this turned Stinky into a human, so they decided to move on land. Cast away from their kingdom, Stinky vowed to give Sal all the riches and power she could have given him long ago, and they did this through various means (Most notably through vaudeville and concerts in the late 1800s to the early 1900s, and through owning a diner of restaurants in the early 2000s). Grandpa Stinky continues to chase Stinky and her chitonous lover across the world to restore order, continually turning her back into the so-called "Cake" of the Damned. Grandpa Stinky actually lied about not being related to Stinky, and about her actually being a cake, because he figured he'd be better off telling people that than explaining the whole Sea God thing. This would explain why Sal refers to Grandpa Stinky as "her evil Grandpa" instead of just "Grandpa Stinky," and why Grandpa Stinky calls her "a waste of DNA."

So, what say you, forumites?
  • edited September 2010
    3. Stinky was just telling the truth. She has been in love with Sal for decades. However, she really wanted to own a diner for some reason. She is a mermaid and tricked Grandpa Stinky into believing she had been created by him by pretending that she was actually a cake with the help of Sal and the projector. As his protege and heir to the diner, she convinved him to take a long cruise so that she could take control of Stinky's. Then, she and Sal ran the diner succesfully until Grandpa Stinky's return after his death and escape from Hell. Before this, no violence had been committed at all and so Sal didn't mind Stinky's plans.

However, Grandpa Stinky's return and the fact that he fired Sal meant that Stinky had to come up with a new plan to get rid of him - a plan involving his death. She needed the power core for this plan (for reasons that I might have missed...) but in the end, could not get one. She constructed the secret tunnels under the diner to the museum to meet with Sal and also to Boscotech Labs to steal the technology from Momma Bosco. Charlie Ho-Tep took advantage of these tunnels.

In the end however, Sal began to feel more and more guilty. He didn't want to go along with Stinky's plan and struggled with his love for her and the ongoing guilt. In the end, he planned to ask Stinky to stop the plan or he would leave her. However, this was interrupted by his digestion and subsequent death.

The bitter Stinky, now believing Sal to be dead, realised that Skunkape had the necessary technology for her plan to work and so agreed to be his queen to help kill Grandpa Stinky. This plan failed, thanks to Sam, and as Stinky had no choice when faced with the giant space gorilla, she left the planet. Then, in space, she met her final justified fate.

I think that sums up the character of Girl Stinky to me...
  • edited September 2010
    That still leave a few question unanswered though. Note that i'm well aware that Sam and max isn't too much into stable continuity, so it's better not to ovethink things, still an explantion of those things at somme point would be nice:

1)Why did 'Girl Stinky' wanted the dinner so badly ?

2)What about 'Stinkycorp' refered in ep 204, wich had for permice that GS did take control of the diner and made a fortune out of Regular Stinky's recipe (to be considered an alternate timeline maybe ? Mind, if the possession of that dinner was what would make her that rich and succesfull, that certainly would explain why she wanted it so badly)

3) A question wich has already be asked but not yet answered, I believe: Why sal would be kilmled by radiation when Sam Junior was fine ? (I suspect laws of comedy on that one but that does acreate a bit of a plothole)

4)Superball *thunder crash*, still quite a few thing unexplained (season 4 maybe)
  • edited September 2010
    smuchmuch wrote: »
    That still leave a few question unanswered though. Note that i'm well aware that Sam and max isn't too much into stable continuity, so it's better not to ovethink things, still an explantion of those things at somme point would be nice:

1)Why did 'Girl Stinky' wanted the dinner so badly ?

2)What about 'Stinkycorp' refered in ep 204, wich had for permice that GS did take control of the diner and made a fortune out of Regular Stinky's recipe (to be considered an alternate timeline maybe ? Mind, if the possession of that dinner was what would make her that rich and succesfull, that certainly would explain why she wanted it so badly)

3) A question wich has already be asked but not yet answered, I believe: Why sal would be kilmled by radiation when Sam Junior was fine ? (I suspect laws of comedy on that one but that does acreate a bit of a plothole)

4)Superball *thunder crash*, still quite a few thing unexplained (season 4 maybe)

1. Maybe for the tar cake recipe? I think it's just a silly, funny motive that she would do all of that for the diner.

2. Timestream altered. (Probably because that future vision at the start never happened) Need I say more?

3. Sal didn't put up a fight against it because he was so overwhelmed with the guilt. And Sam. Jr came up way quicker. And did Sal really die? (I hope not :( )

4. The only mystery I can think of is who were Superball's superiors in 304? My guess would be that they were the Soda Poppers but that that plotline was cut from 205. If not, I'm guessing it was dropped and may be brought back in Season 4.
  • edited September 2010
    1. Maybe for the tar cake recipe? I think it's just a silly, funny motive that she would do all of that for the diner.

2. Timestream altered. (Probably because that future vision at the start never happened) Need I say more?

Eh, guess it works, seems a little short an explanation for such a build up, though.
    3. Sal didn't put up a fight against it because he was so overwhelmed with the guilt. And Sam. Jr came up way quicker. And did Sal really die? (I hope not :( )

Well given the fact that, even if the radiation didn't take him out (and they seem to have did quite a job given his huddled up position (sign of a dead insect if I ever seen one) on the couch in max's mind), he was still inside when Giant Max when exploded.

So yeah, I think Sal is prety much R.I.Ped. (I must say it felt quite out of the Blue and somewhat disapointing, as far as character death goes.)

Of course, as seen in episode 502, death ain't such a final word. It's not like any character couldn't be brought back from hell with a bbit of effort. (seems in fact to have been quite invigorating to Bosco, Granpa Strinky and the Dessoto)
    4. The only mystery I can think of is who were Superball's superiors in 304? My guess would be that they were the Soda Poppers but that that plotline was cut from 305. If not, I'm guessing it was dropped and may be brought back in Season 4.

The soda poppers were killed... even in the deepest hell pit ! There were even floating eyebells to show they were disolved. I think that means they're pretty much 'everyone had enough of them' dead by now and thanks for that.

And yes I was refering to the mention of his superiors in 304 (and the fact he can't be mind readed) as well as what he does in 204 (why the time travel cover up). Not to meation where he got those mind eresing glasses
    (they could be standart issue but somehow I doubt it)

Could be of course that telltale is making a running gag of superball being the 'mistery man in black' rather than a plotline, just as he was 'the guy alway guarding a door' in season 1 and 2.

(My own theory was that he was employed by alternate S and M from episode 204, but this has been prooved obviously false by 305 ending, and I can't think of any other likely candidate at the moment.) In season 4, perharps ? Wait and see, I suppose, all bets are opened.
  • edited September 2010
    I meant to say Soda Poppers in 205 actually... :p

The whole mind reading thing is just Superball. He's a secret agent. He's got classified information. It's just who he is! His shady personality has existed since Season 1 and it just fits with him...
  • edited September 2010
    Ah, well,... there seem to have been a miscomunication somewhere...(I mean If I remeber well, he does metion 'superiors' again in 304, but I could be wrong)

.. Let's blame this on time travel.
    The whole mind reading thing is just Superball. He's a secret agent. He's got classified information. It's just who he is! His shady personality has existed since Season 1 and it just fits with him.

Can't say I remember superball being paticulary Shaddy in season 1. (i mean he had an unfornate choice in bosses but that about it)

well I think that's all I got questions wise (.... for now ! Overthinking things is fun ! Weeee !). thanks for the answers.
  • edited September 2010
    So I finished the episode but there are some things this season that I am still wondering about...

1. What did Sal mean by DECADES???
    3. Why did Girl Stinky suddenly want to help Skunkape?

I wonder about (1) too: how does the basically kind-natured Sal will want to put up with someone as nefarious as Girl Stinky for decades, acting as her accomplice, is a mystery.

As for the girl and Skunkape: Girl Stinky has no loyalty; she will latch on anyone who can further her plans. I think she is definitely on Skunkape's side in 301 (despite what she says), but when Skunkape proves useless, she ditches him mercilessly. Later, Sal has a change of heart and Skunkape is back with galactic ambitions, Stinky returns to Skunkape without hesitation.

However, now that Girl Stinky is presumed dead, the future where her StinkyCorp takes over the world will not come to be.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.