Favourite Episode of Season 3?

edited August 2010 in Sam & Max
Because somebody would ask eventually...

Comments

• edited August 2010
    :eek:

The City that Dares not Sleep was the BEST GAME Telltale has EVER released. It tops every other game they have made in terms of visuals, audio and gameplay. Storywise was a tiny-bit less stronger than some episodes, but hey, 3.5/4 ain't bad!

Telltale has outsone themselves.

My new order of Sam & Max: The Devils Playhouse:

1. The City that Dares Not Sleep
    2. The Tomb of Sammun Mak
    3. They Stole Max's Brain
    4. The Penal Zone
    5. Beyond the Alley of the Dolls

What did you think?
  • edited August 2010
    What did you think?

305 was not really the best episode in this season. It was somewhat meh.
    At least it was the shortest episode in the series. I really enjoyed the bit with Satan though.
  • edited August 2010
    Don't just vote for 305 because it's the freshest episode, which I suspect a lot of you are doing instead of looking objectively at the options.
    Besides, it's all part of one continuous story and they all tie in together. But personally I though 304 and 302 stood out above the rest.
  • edited August 2010
    305 was great, but people always seem to say the newest episode is the best yet. I voted for 302. Sure it was more uneven than the other episodes, but the awesome inventiveness of it shoots it to the top for me :)
  • edited August 2010
    My order would probably be:

The City that Dares not Sleep (I'm not saying this because it's the newest.)
    They Stole Max's Brain! (Sorry, the revelation with Skunkape and Papierwaite just blew my mind. I wasn't expecting them at all.)
    Beyond the Alley of the Dolls
    The Penal Zone
    The Tomb of Sammun-Mak (Yes, I know a lot of people like this but it's just not my type of episode...)
  • edited August 2010
    305 was great, but people always seem to say the newest episode is the best yet. I voted for 302. Sure it was more uneven than the other episodes, but the awesome inventiveness of it shoots it to the top for me :)

and it was somewhat non-linear and you could die in it. It was really awesome for that alone.
  • edited August 2010
    302 was actually my least favorite, with 304 as my most.
    My order may seem weird, but...
  • edited August 2010
    Awesome season. Its tough to pick an order but I guess I will If I have to

1.The City that dare not sleep
    2. The penal zone
    3. Beyond the Alley of the dolls
    4. They Stole Max's Brain!
    5. The Tomb of sammun mak

The bottom of the list is in no way bad, but I felt it was a little too easy, which is ironic because it was the only episode I had to use a guide for for one puzzle (The ending, I couldn't select the torch for whatever reason when I tried)
  • edited August 2010
    For me:

1. 304
    2. 302
    3. 305
    4. 301
    5. 303
  • edited August 2010
    Hmm, hard to say. I really liked the psychic toys and new sorts of puzzles. So 302 comes first, because I also found it great how the different chapters affected each other. 305 comes last, because the puzzles were rather conventional and it felt the shortest to me. I was sure there would be a third act after the ending credits, because what followed after act 2 felt more like a long interlude to me, so I was a little disappointed. 303 also had some great ideas and I really liked the atmosphere of 304, so here's my list:
    I liked the plot of all of the episodes, so there's none that particularly stands out for me.
  • edited August 2010
    for me it would be:

• edited August 2010
    Mine is...

• edited August 2010

None of the episodes are really bad (except for the beginning of 303 which I still don't like). 302 was just perfect. 301 introduced a new concept and got me stuck on some of the puzzles which I liked. 303 was great after the first 30 minutes were over and Sam was acting like Sam again. 304 Was a good episode but I just did not like it as much as the others. 305 was okay. Maybe I am a little spoiled by your other Season-finales but I get the feeling something was missing in it that the other episodes had.
  • edited August 2010
  • edited August 2010

I love how no two people have the same order.
  • edited August 2010
    305 because it was emotionally exhausting and well-built.
    304 because of its epic-ness.
    302 because of the originality of the non-linearity.
    303 because of the Noir Sam and "Submissive" Sam -too simple though-
    301 is the last on my list because it was short and way too easy (on my opinion.) But the Season must had began somewhere.

(And another combination!)
  • edited August 2010
    LikaLaruku wrote: »
    I love how no two people have the same order.

That is the beauty of personal opinions and the reason why TTG can not please everyone with their games and should not even try to achieve that.

Alwas remember: No two people are not on fire.
  • edited August 2010
    302 - Great puzzles, great characters, great atmosphere.
    305 - A great way to end the season, unlike everyone else says.
    304 - Atmosphere is quite nice, and Sam clones were actually pretty intimidating.
    303 - Good episode, noone likes Egypt part much. I don't like the Noir part.
    301 - Too easy.
  • edited August 2010
    305 - Great puzzles
    302 - Non-linear gameplay
    304 - Great story
    301 - Good series intro
    303 - Egypt part let the whole episode down
  • edited August 2010
    302 - I really loved getting an insight into the world of Sam & Max 100 years ago. Also liked the revelations of the past of Jurgen, Santa, and the molemen. The psychic powers in this one were the best of the whole season, not too complicated but both incredibly useful.

305 - Emotionally strong, fun gameplay and it was nice to further understand how astral projection works. The ending was a nice twist and I was ecstatic to see Max had returned.

304 - Extremely epic, and although I didn't anticipate it as much as I did 303 and 305, I really liked the dark atmosphere and all the shocking revelations. Also, I know i can't stop going on about it, but using psychic ventriloquism on the jukebox. :P

301 - This really painted a picture of how the season would be, much more open and puts the "adventure" in "adventure games," because it really feels like you're in a big city and could lose track of what you're doing, the same feeling I got from the first Monkey Island games. A nice contrast to "Everything happens on your street" in the first two seasons. The season turned out much like this, and this was a good start. Still, as many others are saying, too easy.

303 - I really have a hard time putting this one last. I liked the Noir part, but it didn't go for long enough. The museum part was too calm after what had just happened, and the Egypt part had me confused. It felt like I was playing 3 different games, and it made me consider that maybe Telltale should try making once a week episodic games that are even shorter than the current ones. I didn't run into most of the described glitches, but the puzzles were pretty easy, and I felt really bad beating up Sal.
  • edited August 2010
    My rank:

302 -- Outstanding art direction, inevitable lead-up into 303. Breaks S&M conventions (you can "die" in this game). Although cucumber joke is irritating.
    304 -- Great story, lots of hidden things to explore.
    305 -- Good writing, good jokes, wonderful art, but far too short and easy.
    301 -- A solid episode, with possibly the best music in Season 3. Although the large number of cut-scenes/expository sequences tend to bring the pace down.
    303 -- Although the twist is nice, neither of the two halves seemed fully developed. The segue into 304 seems tacked-on.
  • edited August 2010
    I rank them in this order

1. The Penal Zone
    2. The Tomb of Sammun-Mak
    3. Beyond the Alley of the Dolls
    4. The City That Dares Not Sleep
    5. They Stole Max's Brain!
  • edited August 2010

303 is the only one I can actually say I disliked. (Which, in terms of Sam & Max, can be translated to "only somewhat loved" :p)
  • edited August 2010
    Alwas remember: No two people are not on fire.

Awwwwww. I was JUST about to post that, gads! :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.