Andrew Chaikin's Last Laugh

edited September 2010 in Sam & Max
This thread is spoileriffic for 305. You've been warned. Okay? Good.

Seriously, spoilers follow and I don't want this thread covered in spoiler tags.

After playing 305, I realized something really cool. Andrew Chaikin, the voice actor who played Max in 101 ended up playing Max again this season, albeit as Max's superego in lieu of his id. That was a really nice touch on TellTale's part, and I was curious if the casting choice to have him play "Max" again was a deliberate one.

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010
    This thread is spoileriffic for 305. You've been warned. Okay? Good.

Seriously, spoilers follow and I don't want this thread covered in spoiler tags.

After playing 305, I realized something really cool. Andrew Chaikin, the voice actor who played Max in 101 ended up playing Max again this season, albeit as Max's superego in lieu of his id. That was a really nice touch on TellTale's part, and I was curious if the casting choice to have him play "Max" again was a deliberate one.

It wasn't deliberately clever to give Andrew Chaiken (AKA Kid Beyond) the role of the voice inside Max's head. He auditioned for the Narrator and totally killed it. When I first heard his line read of the opening "In all the universe..." line, I knew that the season was going to be sweet. It made looking forward to the moment when Sam opens the door in Max's head really hard to bear for the last 8 months too!

That moment -- Sam opening the door in the black room -- has been on the books as a moment since well before the rest of the story was solidified. Same with the "first teleportation" moment in the first episode. There are a few things we'd all been talking about for weeks or months... much of it, including a lot of the Narrator stuff, predates Tales of Monkey Island, so it's been awesome to finally get it all into the game and see you guys play it the last couple days.
  • edited August 2010
    Jake, I just want to hug you and everyone else at TellTale for reading these forums and responding to our queries. You guys rock hard.
  • edited August 2010
    I so agree with the little buddy up there. Who wouldn't?
  • edited August 2010
    What about the mention of beatboxing? Was that deliberate?
  • edited August 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    That moment -- Sam opening the door in the black room -- has been on the books as a moment since well before the rest of the story was solidified.

I have no idea why, but I kind of figured that. :p It seemed like everything so far had led up to that.
  • edited August 2010
    That scene is probably one of my favorite moments out of the whole season. :D

I was also wondering if casting Chaiken as the Narrator was intentional after finishing 305. It's a really neat coincidence.
  • edited August 2010
    He doesn't have that squeaky voice that he had when he voiced Max and Bugeye. Which one is his regular voice, the deep one or the squeaky one?
  • edited September 2010
    If there were to be a season 4, will the Narrator somehow be included?
  • edited September 2010
    He is kinda... dead. Although, technically, Past Max should have a superego too, so...
  • edited September 2010
    I think it would have been really funny if past Max were voiced by Andrew Chaikin. I know this Max is from AFTER William Kasten took over the role, but still.
  • edited September 2010
    I thought it was pretty awesome that the Max head in the inventory was voiced to sound like Nick Jameson. William Kasten's take on Max is my favorite by far, but the throwback was awesome too.
  • edited September 2010
    He is kinda... dead. Although, technically, Past Max should have a superego too, so...

Yeah...that is an excellent point. And I honestly wouldn't mind the Narrator coming back in a future episode, even as another soul stuck in Hell.
  • edited September 2010
    I thought it was pretty awesome that the Max head in the inventory was voiced to sound like Nick Jameson. William Kasten's take on Max is my favorite by far, but the throwback was awesome too.

Do you know what would be even more awesome? If it actually was voiced by Nick Jameson in a future edition.

Come on, Telltale, make it happen!
  • edited September 2010
    lattsam wrote: »
    Do you know what would be even more awesome? If it actually was voiced by Nick Jameson in a future edition.

I don't know why people keep asking this. I like the voices the way they are now. I'm glad they threw in a joke about Hit the Road being complex, long and having different voices when you are looking at the bucket o' fish in Max's inventory room.
  • edited September 2010
    My only complaint about Andrew Chaikin's voice acting was Gordon the Brain and Narrator sounded TOO similar. It's pretty okay, since Gordon didn't have much lines to begin with, although it made me doubt any connection between two characters nevertheless. But, I'unno, I guess there are so many brilliant sound actors voicing so many characters, compared to them I felt a little bad about Andrew.

On the other hand his Max voice is nearly unrecognizable.
  • edited September 2010
    lattsam wrote: »

lattsam, man, you have got to let that go. It's going to drive you nutty.
  • edited September 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    That moment -- Sam opening the door in the black room -- has been on the books as a moment since well before the rest of the story was solidified

Ever played Silent Hill: Shattered Memories? You'd love the ending.
  • edited September 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    My only complaint about Andrew Chaikin's voice acting was Gordon the Brain and Narrator sounded TOO similar. It's pretty okay, since Gordon didn't have much lines to begin with, although it made me doubt any connection between two characters nevertheless. But, I'unno, I guess there are so many brilliant sound actors voicing so many characters, compared to them I felt a little bad about Andrew.

On the other hand his Max voice is nearly unrecognizable.

Really? I didn't notice any similarity between Gordon and the Narrator.
  • edited September 2010
    Really? I didn't notice any similarity between Gordon and the Narrator.

Me neither. It was very similar to Mr. Paiperwaite. I even thought in 302 that Paiperwaite was the young narrator and we would discover that in the last episode...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.