Sam and Max Season 3 Startup Issues

edited September 2010 in Game Support
Hi,

I'm having trouble getting SAM and Max Season 3 to startup. After much investigation I have identified that the problem is linked to the audio settings on my machine as I can get the games to load if I stop the Windows Audio service. With the service running the launch window displays, but when I click launch, the program shuts down unexpectedly. I think it's more a problem with the wrapper as I also have the full season of TOMI which worked fine until I installed the DVD release version which suffers from the same problem (oddly only for Episode 1 though).

Attached is the output from dxdiag which may be of some use but any advice on how to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I have reinstalled the latest driver for my sound card but this seems to have made no difference.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Does it also work if you only disable the device in the device manager instead of disabling the entire service?

Besides the Audio issue you could also try the latest Mobility Radeon Drivers.
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks.

Yep. If I disable the IDT High Definition Audio Codec in the device manager the program will load.

I've also tried the latest Radeon Drivers as suggested but it has not made any difference. Any other ideas?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2010
    out2010 wrote: »
    I think it's more a problem with the wrapper as I also have the full season of TOMI which worked fine until I installed the DVD release version which suffers from the same problem (oddly only for Episode 1 though).

I took a deeper look at the DVD Version of ToMI and noticed the following:
    Episode 1 uses Fmod Version 4.26.9 for audio playback. That probably changed for that episode when it was repacked with the Earl Boen Voice.
    The other ToMI Episodes have Fmod 4.14.4.

Sam&Max Season 3 has Fmod Version 4.26.9 too, except for episode 303 which uses 4.30.3.

That gives me an idea for a possible inofficial workaround. Assuming the bug might be fixed in a later FMod version, try if "Episode 303 - They Stole Max's Brain!" works.

If it does, there's a good chance that you can fix the other episodes by replacing the fmodex.dll. If it doesn't i would try it anyway though.
    Download fmodex.dll 4.26.28 and replace the ones in the installation directories of episode 1,2,4 and 5 (not 3, because it requires a different version).
    You should start with testing it on one episode though.
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks for all your help. I thought you might be on to something there. Unfortunately later versions still have the same problem and the program crashes shortly after clicking on launch. Whatever it is that's causing this problem has obviously not been fixed in later versions. I don't see many other's having this particular problem so I'm completely lost here.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2010
    I still have some stuff up my sleeve.
    Assuming it is just an incompatibility with your sound driver you can
    - Try this driver i researched for your chip. It's a bit newer than the one you have
    - Buy a cheap USB sound device.
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks. I'll give it a try as soon as I get back to my computer. I really appreciate all of your efforts on this problem.
This discussion has been closed.