Wallace & Grommet Grand Adventures Doesn't Run on Win7

edited September 2010 in Game Support
Hello,

Just recently purchased your game on CD and after installing it appears to be having an issue running on Windows 7. When the game is selected it brings up the menu selection launcher but when a game is selected, nothing appears to happen. The cursor momentarily changes to an hour glass then goes away and nothing else happens.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Try using Windows XP or Vista compatability mode. (Right click the shortcut, click "Properties", select the "Compatibility" tab, and set the compatibility mode)
  • edited September 2010
    Changed compatibility to Vista Service Pack 1 and run as administrator for all executables. Game still does not start only the initial launcher runs but after that nothing. Any other suggestions from anyone will be attempted.

Thanks, M.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited September 2010
    According to this thread (maybe there's something helpful for you in there), Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures should have no problem running in Windows 7.

I'm sure the forum's tech wizards will need more information in order to be able to help you, so I'll get you started by quoting the legendary DjNDB:

"A dxdiag log would be very helpful. You can attach a file by selecting "post reply" and selecting "Manage Attachments" in the "Additional Options" section.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread."

Additionally, is your game the brown box or the blue box?
    Not sure what the differences are but it might help you get a more accurate answer.
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks for the information. In response to your query my CD came in a "Blue" box.

Attached to this reply is the DXdiag report(s) [I ran both 32 and 64 bit reports since I am running 64-bit windows].
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)
    Driver Date/Size: 7/13/2009 18:41:53, 9443840 bytes

Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    Date and Size: 7/18/2008 05:42:20, 1478552 bytes

Let's start by updating your drivers.

Install the latest Nvidia Driver and Realtek HDA Driver. Then run the DirectX updater.

Thanks for requesting the info, MacFly77. I love the "legendary" part :D
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited September 2010
    No problem.
    I personally think that you should ask Telltale to change your user name to "The Legendary DjNDB". ;)
  • edited September 2010
    Well here's the current situation. I have updated the drivers per recommendation tried running the software in and not in compatibility mode and it still doesn't seem to want to run. I get the first screen with the four episode selections, but when trying to play any of the games the main menu screen "autorun_hd" disappears, the cursor goes into wait mode for about 3-5 seconds then nothing else happens.

So at this point I'm still in the same place I was when I started except I have new video and sound drivers. Just one additional note I did try to run the Direct X installer again from Msoft but it indicated that no updates were necessary and nothing happened.

Any additional help anybody has to suggest is welcome. Thanks.:confused:
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Did you try running the Episodes by starting the .exe in their installation folders (e.g. WallaceGromit101.exe)?
    Do or did you have LUA installed?
  • edited September 2010
    Hi. I really appreciate all of your input. In response to your queries. Yes, I currently have LUA installed, but hardly use it at the current time, and yes I have tried to run each app individually from the installation folder to no avail. I get the same issue, I see the wait cursor for a few seconds then nothing.

Should I uninstall LUA and try again?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2010
    The environment variable LUA_PATH conflicts with the games.
    You can just remove the System Environment Variable (Type "variable" in the start menu and look for something like System Variables) and the games should work.
This discussion has been closed.