Your initial thoughts on TDP: Were they right? (spoilers!)

edited September 2010 in Sam & Max
Back before the season started, we all had predictions. So how close were yours to the final thing? They can either be from back when all we had was four pieces of concept art, or from when we had a trailer and episode names to go be. Anyway, here's what I thought:
  • When I first saw the Narrator's concept art, I thought he'd be some sort of James Bond-parody detective competing with Sam & Max. (Wrong!)
  • Up until we learned about the Toys of Power, I thought the Teleportation phone was a toy possessed by a demon or something. This of course would have led to a Sam & Max style exorcism. (Wrong!)
  • I did guess that Sameth's concept art was of some ancestor of Sam. (Correct!)
  • I thought the Penal Zone sounded really wrong and wondered if Telltale would take advantage of that. (Correct!)
  • I thought that Papierwaite was gonna be some sort of rich, overzealous archaeologist. (Kinda right! He did start up the museum and collect things for it.)
  • I think we all thought that Sal would be a villain. (Wrong!)
  • I thought that "The Devil's Playhouse" referred to none other than Max's mind. (Pretty much correct!)

Comments

• edited September 2010
    -When i read the title of "The Tomb of Sammun-Mak" I suspected that the pharaoh was going to be related to the duo. (Wrong!)

-I knew ever since I met Sal in 303 that he was NOT going to be the villian, rather the punching bag. (Correct!)
    -I also expected toy possesed by demons nd just appearing in one episode the momen I saw the concept art for the first time. (Wrong!)
    -When I first saw the Sameth art I thought Sam & Max were going to travel back in time again and dress up for the ocassion. (Wrong!)
    -When I saw the trailer for 305 I thought that the floating Max heads were going to help Sam rather than work gainst him. (Wrong!)
    -I thought the Bazooka Max concept art was a spaceship (Dead wrong!)
    -I new Sybil was going to make an appearance eventually (because of her celphone at 301). (Right!)
  • edited September 2010
    There's only one prediction I had, and it was dead wrong.

- The Devil's Playhouse is a physical place, and is Papierwaite's theater in modern times.
  • edited September 2010
    Well, all my guesses were wrong (at least the ones I can think of)

- I suspected Superball to be Girl Stinky's mysterious Mr. S
    - Not really a guess, but I thought it would be really cool if Skunkape really was a good guy on a mission of saving the earth/solar system/galaxy, who just got angry at Sam & Max interfering
    - When the credits came in episode 305 I still didn't believe the game was over, but that there would still be a last act where Sam has to rescue Max somehow (just like the season of ToMI wasn't over after the fourth episode). Because Max couldn't be dead for good and I was still missing a puzzle of the "you have to accomplish 3 different things" sort in the last act or a boss fight for that matter.
    - My candidates for the traitor of episode 305 were Superball (usurping the presidency, acting on mysterious orders) or Stinky (which isn't exactly wrong, but probably not what the Narrator meant)
  • edited September 2010
    The only one correct was about Sameth concept art. I keep thinking "He's not Sam, he doesn't look like Sam...". Everything else, dead wrong.
  • edited September 2010
    I thought that the Narrator had something to do with Max's mind after Episode 3, but I wrote that one off.

I thought that we'd get an answer as to who and why someone put Astral Projection in the basement.

I knew Stinky would die.

I knew Sal was going to dump Stinky.

I was wrong that Sam & Max were both going to die.

I was wrong about Bosco coming back (I think we should make a full discussion on this)

I thought that all the future visions were going to be answered. I was wrong.
  • edited September 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    I thought that all the future visions were going to be answered. I was wrong.

That's right! I'm still wondering about that pudding Lincoln.
  • edited September 2010
    That's right! I'm still wondering about that pudding Lincoln.

Answered in PS3 version of 301.

I meant like in 303 when the ape said:
    "No you can't have my toy, I have to give this to the General!!! AAAIIEEE
    we never learn what that toy is.

In 301, Sam in future vision says something about not resting till Sam finds the guy who kills his partner.

Both important moments never answered.
  • edited September 2010
    Speaking of future visions, it is a shame we never saw Buster Blaster's traveling through space! That would have been cool to see it some how tie dinto 305.
  • edited September 2010
    haha.png

This guy's initial thoughts were correct.
  • edited September 2010
    Well, I hardly recall most predictions ("Ah, giant talking dog" syndrom) but here are some (wrong) guesses:

* The Devil's Playhouse refers to the world, the playfield of our adventure (semi-wrong though).
    * Sammun-Mak were/was ancestors of Sam and Max, or timetraveling variations of them (wrong).
    * Skunkape would help Sam out in 305 (wrong).
    * Max's brain would be stolen in "They stole Max's brain" (duh).
  • edited September 2010
    Max's brain would be stolen in "They stole Max's brain" (duh).

Dang, it's like you're psychic!
    Quick! Tell me my future!
  • edited September 2010
    When I heard 305's name, I thought, maybe some demon guy was stopping everyone sleep (Wrong)
    I thought that video that had about Skun'kape becoming, Skun'kape was showing the first villan (Correct)
    I thought the concept art of Kringle meant Santa Clause had returned from hell (Wrong)
  • edited September 2010
    -I thought that the Narrator would be turn out to be the big bad (Right)

-After learning about Yog-Soggoth, I thought he would be the second-to-final boss, with the final being the Narrator (Wrong)

-I thought Max was going to die, all because of that scene in the sewers where he claims that player characters can't die. Oh, cruel irony. (Right)

-I thought that The Devil's Playhouse would refer to the mind. (Right)

(I didn't expect Max's mind, though, and I didn't expect that it would turn out to be as meaningful as it actually was in the game, I just thought it was a clever title that would take a little while to figure out. I only guessed that because I was rewatching "The Friend For Life" and Sam mentions that his granny once said that an idle mind was the devil's monkey-bars.)

-I expected everyone to guess that Sal was Stinky's boyfriend, only, at the last minute, have it revealed that it was all, once again, an elaborate misunderstanding. (Wrong.)

-I thought that it was called "The City That Dares Not Sleep" because everyone was scared to let their guard down during the attack, not because of spores that feed off of nightmares, so that was also Wrong.

-I expected for some twist of fate to occur that led to none of this having ever happened - for instance, Sam takes the time machine, goes back to The Penal Zone, and stops Max from taking the Future Vision, or Max rewrites reality so that the Devil's Toybox never existed. (Wrong.)

-I thought Superball was evil and trying to usurp Max's presidency, but he obviously actually really cares about him; so that's also Wrong.

-When I saw the Sameth and Maximus art, I thought they were just elaborate disguises. It wasn't until the trailer that I realized they were probably their ancestors.

-Since Max was rampaging through the city in 305, but said during his transformation in 304 that "this was so cool," I was thinking that he was going to be looking for Sam so that he could show off or something; but he didn't even seem to care that much about him until the very end.

There's probably more, but that's all I got off the top of my head.
  • edited September 2010
    I thought that Max's 'the brain is dying' meant that Gordon was heavily tied into the toys of power (wrong)

I thought the wave of lawfullness and goodwill mentioned in 301 would return as a theme in 305. (wrong)

I thought that Yog-Soggoth would be the main villain of the final episode and that he would be summoned at the end of 304 (wrong)

I thought that Sal was definitely Mr. S throughout everything (right)

I thought that Sal and Skunkape would battle it out in 305 (wrong)

I thought that Sammun-Mak would be evil after seeing the 303 trailer (right)

I thought that Papierwaite would be a villian after seeing the 302 trailer (right)

I thought that Momma Bosco was going to be the clone master after the clones walk towards the platform in 304 (wrong)
  • edited September 2010
    Sal is the cook from season 2 and is in love with Stinky (right)

The Sam Clones participated in a musical number (technically, right)

The ventriloquist doll is used for mind control (partially right)

Satan doesn't appear at all (wrong)

Max ends up being the final bad guy (right. Well, wrong. Well, depends on how you see it, really)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.