Character Licensing?

It occurs to me that Tycho and The Heavy are licensed characters from other franchises (ie. Penny Arcade and Team Fortress, respectively.) I figure that TTG obtained licenses to use these characters, but it also occurs to me that Hothead Games stopped production of the Penny Arcade Adventures series.

I imagine this is probably a one-shot thing for Team Fortress characters in a Telltale game, but what does it mean for Penny Arcade? Does Telltale own a license to make other Penny Arcade adventure games or even to continue the Penny Arcade Adventures series started by Hothead? Or is it a one-shot cameo appearance, same as The Heavy probably is?

This and other The Inventory licensing probabilities/possibilities, and what they might mean... Discuss.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Penny Arcade Adventures was obviously a label meant for a somewhat more ambitious goal than was actually warranted in retrospect: More things like Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness. I don't know HOW well or badly the first(only) two episodes of Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness did, but I'm sure that when putting the "main series" line before Rain-Slick, they intended to do more "Penny Arcade Adventures" and possibly had at least some minor mental stirrings related to what those adventures might be.

Personally, I loved the Rain-Slick universe, I gladly supported the series, and even after the long hiatus I was sorely disappointed to see it go. I don't really trust Telltale with anything the way I used to anymore, but if there was even the slightest chance that they wouldn't make it an animated comic book with minor pretenses of interaction, I'd be in.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.