Yet more Adventure Pack woes

edited September 2010 in Game Support
I bought and downloaded the Adventure Pack. I've downloaded The Whispered World, but when I attempt to install it, it gives me an NSIS error after it verifies the installer. It says that the download may be damaged or incomplete, but I am unable to re-download it. Damn and blast!

Thanks in advance - any suggestions to unholy-this my problem will be appreciated.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Just as a quick tip for now, try running it as an administrator. That worked for my installation problem.
  • edited September 2010
    Nope, it's not an access problem, the install files are corrupt. Had the same problem with Precipice Ep1.
  • edited September 2010
    Same problem here. I've removed the installer file and asked it to download again, but I don't know whether it'll make any difference.
  • edited September 2010
    I am also having a problem with the adventure bundle. I purchased and then downloaded "bundle.exe" and installed it. then when i tryed to run it i got this message "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_41.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

so i did re-install, same problem. re-downloaded, re-installed, same problem.

what are some actions i might try?
  • edited September 2010
    Ben BB wrote: »
    I am also having a problem with the adventure bundle. I purchased and then downloaded "bundle.exe" and installed it. then when i tryed to run it i got this message "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_41.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

so i did re-install, same problem. re-downloaded, re-installed, same problem.

what are some actions i might try?
    Just hazarding a guess, but it sounds like your DirectX might not be up-to-date. Try going here and downloading and installing the latest version.

If you have further problems, it might be better if you start a new post, so that your issue and the one described here can be dealt with separately. :)
  • edited September 2010
    tcnuk is right - if you receive the .dll error, it's due to not having the most up-to-date Direct X. Downloading the latest should fix that problem, and meanwhile we're working on a fix for the bundle where it auto-detects and downloads the latest Direct X so you guys don't have to do it manually anymore.

As for not being able to install due to corrupted files, it sounds like something happened during the transfer process (unfortunately a possibility given the size of some of these files). The only quick recommendation I have is deleting the downloaded file so the wrapper will allow you to re-download, and hopefully that download won't be corrupted in the transfer. We're also looking into detecting corrupted files on our end.
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks for the response. I'm still trying to download the file again, but it's been proceeding very slowly and halts at about 37%. If I close and restart the program, it resets back to 0%. I've done this three times now. Are you guys having issues with the servers?
  • edited September 2010
    tcnuk wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. I'm still trying to download the file again, but it's been proceeding very slowly and halts at about 37%. If I close and restart the program, it resets back to 0%. I've done this three times now. Are you guys having issues with the servers?
    Ditto me
  • edited September 2010

I've had a similar problem, but at 2 or 6%; I've never been able to download the files with the launcher. When checking the download folder in "My Documents", the downloaded file simply had its size reset to 1K, no matter how much was downloaded earlier. The launcher also closed all TCP connections as per sysinternals' tcpview.

I've been able to download the files with direct links (obtained with wireshark) via browser with no issues though (and all 4 at the same time, too ;)):
    Whispered world: http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/adventurebundle/tww-6.exe
    Jack Keane: http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/adventurebundle/jk-6.exe
    King's Quest: http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/adventurebundle/kq-7.exe
    Penny Arcade: http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/adventurebundle/pa1-9.exe

(I hope I do not breach any rules by posting these here; the links are not protected AND the installers automagically know to install themselves within the adventure bundle directory, so I'm assuming they won't work if the bundle is not properly installed and registered with securom or whichever it uses first).
  • edited September 2010
    Ok, an update. I've still not managed to get the whole of Whispered World downloaded through the Telltale application. I've tried about six times now and it always just stops, most frequently in the 30-40% range. Inspired by Ghorin's detective work (thanks for the URLs, by the way), I did a little snooping of my own. I'm experiencing the same as him/her: the downloaded file being reset to 1K in size and all TCP connections being closed once the "freeze point" has been reached.

My URL is not the same. I seem to be allocated the server cds419.lon.llwd.net (87.248.211.249), but otherwise the retrieved URL is the same. I'm having the same difficulties getting this to download through a browser as I am through the Telltale client (if I use the browser, I just get a blank output back at the moment).

I can also report that I managed to get Penny Arcade downloaded successfully (the smaller file size seems to increase my chances of success because of the shorter time involved for something to go wrong in). However, it took two attempts - the first time I got the file verification error.

Looks like Telltale and Limelight need to have words to sort out these problems.
  • edited September 2010
    I have managed to download The Whispered World after several attempts, but my problem is that nothing happens when I click on "install". It just sits there and does nothing.

Where does the file I downloaded save to? There is nothing in the directory I specified for the Adventure Bundle launcher.
  • edited September 2010
    Where does the file I downloaded save to? There is nothing in the directory I specified for the Adventure Bundle launcher.
    You should find it under TellTale Games\Adventure Bundle inside your My Documents directory. File name is tww-6.exe.
  • edited September 2010
    My URL is not the same. I seem to be allocated the server cds419.lon.llwd.net (87.248.211.249), but otherwise the retrieved URL is the same. I'm having the same difficulties getting this to download through a browser as I am through the Telltale client (if I use the browser, I just get a blank output back at the moment).

Yeah, the actual server that launcher connects to wasn't http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net, however the HTTP 'host' header was like this. The browser's blank output is just HTTP "bad request" response, since the server doesn't like the exact server name or IP used as 'host'. For me, the http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/ is the same server as in the game download links from 'my telltale' page - if yours is different in there, you may try to use it. Otherwise you may try to force a different host in HTTP request; but that has to be done with a download program such as wget - I doubt browsers allow this kind of tweaking :)
  • edited September 2010
    Ghorin wrote: »
    Yeah, the actual server that launcher connects to wasn't http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net, however the HTTP 'host' header was like this. The browser's blank output is just HTTP "bad request" response, since the server doesn't like the exact server name or IP used as 'host'. For me, the http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/ is the same server as in the game download links from 'my telltale' page - if yours is different in there, you may try to use it. Otherwise you may try to force a different host in HTTP request; but that has to be done with a download program such as wget - I doubt browsers allow this kind of tweaking :)
    Ah, seems I wasn't thorough enough - what you've said makes far more sense (i.e. the exact server ip is dished out from a single URL rather than selected by some other means). I have now managed to download the Whispering World setup file from the URL you provided (you're right that this seems to be the standard central server for Telltale downloads) and it installed correctly, thank goodness. It's been quite a mission with broken login screens, corrupted files and downloads that freeze, but I've finally managed to install everything!
  • edited September 2010
    I have managed to download The Whispered World after several attempts, but my problem is that nothing happens when I click on "install". It just sits there and does nothing.

I'm having exactly the same problem. Finally managed to get it downloaded after spending all day yesterday having it freeze and reset, and now when I click on install nothing happens. :D
  • edited September 2010
    When I try to install TWW or KQ I get a dos window flash up for a split second with something along the lines of "The file was too big to handle" and then vanish before I've had a chance to read it. This is on Win7 32.
  • edited September 2010
    I tried installing the games manually after downloading them using the app, and when they aren't busy going "IT'S CORRUPT! WHAT DO I DO!?" they're going "This isn't compatible with your operating system." I reckon it just doesn't like me, y'know.
  • edited September 2010
    Braxiatel wrote: »
    I'm having exactly the same problem. Finally managed to get it downloaded after spending all day yesterday having it freeze and reset, and now when I click on install nothing happens. :D

I completely deleted all files from the bundle (both in my specified download location and the My Documents/Telltale directory) and then re-downloaded the Adventure Bundle file. This time upon running, everything downloaded and installed.
  • edited September 2010
    Tentacle wrote: »
    I tried installing the games manually after downloading them using the app, and when they aren't busy going "IT'S CORRUPT! WHAT DO I DO!?" they're going "This isn't compatible with your operating system." I reckon it just doesn't like me, y'know.

The executable header on The Whispered World program I downloaded wasn't valid, which is why it's producing either 'program too big' or 'file is corrupt'.

It is possible to fix this (and I did), but there's no real point at least until Telltale have included the videos in the download..
  • edited September 2010
    syllopsium wrote: »
    The executable header on The Whispered World program I downloaded wasn't valid, which is why it's producing either 'program too big' or 'file is corrupt'.

It is possible to fix this (and I did), but there's no real point at least until Telltale have included the videos in the download..

Fair enough.

Wonderful. I can't play any of the games I've paid for, and I highly doubt 5,000 units will be sold, so... no Scoggins or Beelzebub for me, I suppose.
  • edited September 2010
    Sigh... having exactly the same problems as listed here- first Whispered World won't download, then it won't install (after 6 hours of trying to download the damn thing...) and now I learn that there's no point in even trying until they've fixed the file itself. I've also had problems with downloading Penny Arcade and King's Quest, although the former is working fine.

I have to say I'm really rather disappointed by all this- I think this is an amazing deal for some really great causes but I'm reluctant to tell people about it or recommend it to anybody because the whole process has been so difficult from beginning to end. Which then sucks because the whole point of this offer is to get your customers to spread the word so they get extra games (and I so so SOOOO want Puzzle Quest D: even if 5000 currently looks optimistic). I'm sure it will get fixed but it worries me that there are 750 people out there who should be bothering their friends to download but are instead trying to download incomplete files with a buggy, awkward-to-use program.

Also, I'm guessing this place has more actual tech support on weekdays? If so, a Friday night/Saturday morning release is probably not the wisest of options either...

Anyway, enough whining. I'm sure that I'll have lots of games in perfect working order very shortly. I'll entertain myself with PA until then.
  • edited September 2010
    I completely deleted all files from the bundle (both in my specified download location and the My Documents/Telltale directory) and then re-downloaded the Adventure Bundle file. This time upon running, everything downloaded and installed.

Worked perfectly for me. Just delete the installer file and re-download in one go.
  • edited September 2010
    Close the installer. Right click on the installer. Select "run as admin" - should have a little shield next to it if you are running windows 7. Now the downloaded game will install.

I'm still having an issue with no videos in TWW though... I posted in that thread, but thought I'd mention it here as the way the game starts it would be easy to not notice, but there is suppose to be an opening video apparently.
  • edited September 2010
    genghis wrote: »
    Sigh... having exactly the same problems as listed here- first Whispered World won't download, then it won't install (after 6 hours of trying to download the damn thing...) and now I learn that there's no point in even trying until they've fixed the file itself. I've also had problems with downloading Penny Arcade and King's Quest, although the former is working fine.

I have to say I'm really rather disappointed by all this- I think this is an amazing deal for some really great causes but I'm reluctant to tell people about it or recommend it to anybody because the whole process has been so difficult from beginning to end. Which then sucks because the whole point of this offer is to get your customers to spread the word so they get extra games (and I so so SOOOO want Puzzle Quest D: even if 5000 currently looks optimistic). I'm sure it will get fixed but it worries me that there are 750 people out there who should be bothering their friends to download but are instead trying to download incomplete files with a buggy, awkward-to-use program.

Also, I'm guessing this place has more actual tech support on weekdays? If so, a Friday night/Saturday morning release is probably not the wisest of options either...

Anyway, enough whining. I'm sure that I'll have lots of games in perfect working order very shortly. I'll entertain myself with PA until then.

Sorry about these issues, genghis. We're working on a WW fix right now which addresses the videos not installing correctly, and that should resolve some of the other issues folks are having with downloading WW as well. As for your issues downloading and / or installing Penny Arcade or King's Quest, this is the first the issue has come up with those two games, but we'll be looking into it this afternoon while we're working on WW. Hope to have a fix out for at least that game for you guys soon.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm running Win7 64bit.

When first running bundle.exe to create the folder under Program Files\Telltale (also instals some Visual Basic files) I then get an immediate appcrash when trying to execute.

I've tried both running as administrator and in 32bit compliant mode, but both of those do bupkus.

I then tried to download those individual files from the direct links posted here, but when the game installer in question starts, it refuses to write in the location, and all I can do is abort.

Changing the administration rights for Program Files\Telltale and subfolders gets me nowhere.

I kinda guessed I'd have problems with it, but only the KQ series, I thought, stating there not being support for the operating system. But now that all of the installations have epically failed, I can say I feel a bit cheated. Helping a good cause does not make me feel much better, when all I got was a headache in return.

Luckily, I still have my trusty XP 32bit machine that I think will do the job tomorrow. If not, I'm coming here to whine a lot more about it soon.

This being a joint venture and getting all these games to run under the same set is understandably challenging, but obviously you've got to test better before making us pay.

The idea and the causes are fantastic, but I have to say I regret recommending this deal to my friends as it stands now.

Pretty please, with sugar on top: get this sorted soon.
  • edited September 2010
    Rich C wrote: »
    Sorry about these issues, genghis. We're working on a WW fix right now which addresses the videos not installing correctly, and that should resolve some of the other issues folks are having with downloading WW as well. As for your issues downloading and / or installing Penny Arcade or King's Quest, this is the first the issue has come up with those two games, but we'll be looking into it this afternoon while we're working on WW. Hope to have a fix out for at least that game for you guys soon.

I've now managed to get both Penny Arcade and King's Quest downloaded and installed (Jack Keane is about 50% through, I'm downloading it directly using the link on the previous page which has sped things up). TWW is downloading through the adventure bundle program and seems to be significantly faster this time, so that's hopefully positive? Still hours to wait with this connection though :P

BancoLavadero, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and haven't had any compatibility errors that haven't been solved by using "run as admin". Sounds like maybe you need to redownload the Adventure Bundle software?
  • edited September 2010
    Finally got stuff working! It took me 20+ tries to download Puzzle Agent and Whispered World, but I got there in the end. Looks like we're not going to get Sam & Max though, which is... sort of why I bought the pack, really. Bummer.
  • edited September 2010
    Telltale, isn't it better to just put something like a quickpar repair pack on the forum? With these files people can try to fix their install exe's and don't have to download the 1.5 GB again (for for example ww)
This discussion has been closed.