Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 1 (Great Adventure Game Bundle)

edited November 2011 in Game Support
I installed all the games of the bundle last night, and while the other games work fine, Penny Arcade Adventures just gives me a black screen, with a red streak wherever I drag my mouse. Any idea what this could be or how to fix it?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Same issue here. Running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit.
  • edited September 2010
    same thing here but with 32bit win7
  • edited September 2010
    Have you guys tried updating your Video Card Drivers? If that doesn't work and you're running ATI Cards on the latest drivers, you could try rolling the drivers back to a previous version.
  • edited September 2010
    I was using a previous ATI driver and that had Open GL issues
  • edited September 2010
    I have the same problem. Managed to get it work by launching Penny from it's own folder and not from Adventure Bundle launcher.
  • edited September 2010
    I have this issue too. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. I shouldn't have to downgrade my video card to play the game, I'm sure there is a better fix. Is this an issue with the file itself? Thanks!

Also, running the program for the folder itself rather than the Bundle launcher led to an error saying it was already running (which it wasn't) ...mysterious...
  • edited September 2010
    Same problem here with vista 32.
    Trying to launch from game folder doesn't work.
    And when I close the black window, I additionally have to end the process in the taskmanager.
    I was so excited about this whole bundle and now there are bugs everywhere :(
    But I put my trust in Telltale that there's a fix soon.
  • edited September 2010
    I am not getting that problem I am running from the app .exe rather then using the launcher to start it.
  • edited September 2010
    mateo360 wrote: »
    I am not getting that problem I am running from the app .exe rather then using the launcher to start it.
    Worked for me, too.
  • edited September 2010
    Oh cool, that worked for me as well. Someone should probably make an FAQ thread at this point for all Adventure Game Bundle-related issues...
  • edited September 2010
    Doesn't work for me :(. Either way I just get a black window with red dots when I drag my mouse over it, then the window gets all white and I have to stop the process via the task manager.
  • edited September 2010
    I have this problem too. Launching the game directly doesn't help either.
  • edited September 2010
    So much trouble for a couple of old games? What screwed it up? All the games work if you didn't buy it in the boundle...
  • edited September 2010
    Running from the folder also fixes it for me. However, once I get to character creation I can't see the character I'm making; there's just an empty frame around where the character would be.
  • edited September 2010
    Aha. Lowering graphics quality to "standard" gets me 3d models appearing. So that at least works.
  • edited September 2010
    I also have this problem. Regardless of compatibility mode or from where I start the program I receive only a black windows with red dots streaking as I move my mouse. Has anyone found any further solutions to this problem??
  • edited September 2010
    I have the same problem.
    PAA was the first game I installed, so Idk how well the others work, but I hope there is going to be a fix eventually.
    I mean, I bought the bundle for the opportunity to get the games in the first place, so I can wait some time to play, but I really hope this and the apparent other games' issues get fixed eventually.

Win7 x64 Professional, ATI 5800 Series here.
  • edited September 2010
    Same Problem here. WinXP 32Bit, Radeon 5670 (Catalyst 10.8).
  • edited September 2010
    I have the same problem as other posters here, does anyone have a solution? I've tried all the other fixes, "run as administrator" compatibility issues, uninstalling and reinstalling....I am running Win 7 32bit, and IE 8...
    Edit to add: ATI Raedon 2600 pro video card
  • edited September 2010
    Same here
    Win 7 32bit
  • edited September 2010
    I've gone up against the final boss several times, and gotten him to his knees (i.e. not dead yet). One of the first few attacks after this, crashes the game. I have no idea why—the rest of the game has run smoothly. I know I haven't missed much of the game, but I'd like to see the ending sequence. :confused:
  • edited September 2010
    Aulin, you might want to make a separate thread for that, it's not really related to this.

Same issue with the red dots streaking. WinXP, Radeon HD 5700. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game alone, then the entire adventure pack, then I even tried installing the adventure pack to another HD. No luck. This game (plus Sam & Max, which hasn't unlocked yet) was the main reason I sprung for the adventure pack, it's a shame this thread hasn't gotten an official response yet. I did email HotHead as mentioned in the very brief readme, and they directed me to this forum.
  • edited September 2010
    Same problem.
    Win7 Professional 64 bit
    Board: Gigabyte EP45-DS3L
    Intel Core2 Duo E7200
    ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
  • edited September 2010
    Running it directly from the folder (C:\Program Files(x86)\Telltale Games\Adventure Bundle\Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness - Episode 1\RainSlickEp1.exe) worked for me on Win7 - 64bit, ATI Mobility Radeon 5650, with fairly up to date drivers. From the launcher it gives me the black screen with red mouse trail dots.
  • edited September 2010
    Confirmed that the game will run when launching directly from the application (not the Bundle Launcher), but it seems most of the game assets don't load. The character creation screen has only blank windows (how can I make my ultimate hero if I can't see him?) and when the game proper starts, the ground is a black texture and all you can see of your character is a floating face (think Cheshire Cat).

I'm glad I gave some money to charity, but this whole bundle has been a hassle.
  • edited September 2010
    Oh, sorry. I thought it was a general support thread for the game. The title seemed to suggest that.

If a mod could move my post to a new thread, that'd be great. :)
  • edited September 2010
    Same problem for me

Windows XP home
    Athlon XP 3000+
    Radeon HD3450
  • edited September 2010
    It must be related to the ati video card. When i read this thread I was worried it might be a windows 7 or os problem. Luckily it works fine on my system but my laptop has a nvidia go7600. So I would suggest searching an ati forum or try their latest driver. Hope this helps. I did make a shortcut on my desktop from the game executable in the installation folder "C:\Program Files\Telltale Games\Adventure Bundle\Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness - Episode 1\RainSlickEp1.exe" I just tried the adventure bundle game laucher way and it works that way too.
  • edited September 2010
    I already tried installing the newest ati driver (video driver problem was my first thought when it didn't work). But at least in my case updating the ati driver didn't change anything :(.
  • edited September 2010
    hiurdin wrote: »
    It must be related to the ati video card. When i read this thread I was worried it might be a windows 7 or os problem. Luckily it works fine on my system but my laptop has a nvidia go7600. So I would suggest searching an ati forum or try their latest driver. Hope this helps. I did make a shortcut on my desktop from the game executable in the installation folder "C:\Program Files\Telltale Games\Adventure Bundle\Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness - Episode 1\RainSlickEp1.exe" I just tried the adventure bundle game laucher way and it works that way too.

It may only be a problem with ATI cards, but it seems to be the bundle that's causing the problem. I tried running the demo on steam, and it worked just fine.
  • edited October 2011
    Has this issue been fixed yet? I still am getting that black window and red dot problem and would like a fix. I mean, I did give them my money after all.
  • edited November 2011
    Come on folks, I would like to actually play this game. I can get episode 2 to work since I bought it on steam and messed around with the launch options but you can't do that with the telltale launcher. Come on!
This discussion has been closed.