The Whispered World - no videos?

edited September 2010 in Game Support
After I've installed the whispered world from the adventure bundle, it seems that the 'videos' folder from game directory is missing - no videos are played in the game and the message.log file in the whispered world directory contains entries like:
22:48:59: Error: can't open file 'videos\video.vv016' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
22:48:59: Warning: Could not open video file 'Adventure_Dateien\Videos\Logos\daedalic_intro.ogv#m#016#00000#'
22:48:59: Error: can't open file 'videos\video.vv017' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
22:48:59: Warning: Could not open video file 'Adventure_Dateien\Videos\Logos\deep_silver_intro.ogv#m#017#00000#'
22:49:06: Error: can't open file 'videos\video.vv001' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
22:49:06: Warning: Could not open video file 'Adventure_Dateien\Videos\IngameCredits.ogv#m#001#00000#'
22:49:12: Error: can't open file 'videos\video.vv015' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
22:49:12: Warning: Could not open video file 'Adventure_Dateien\Videos\Intro.ogv#m#015#00000#'

I'm not sure whether it should maybe be posted on Daedalic forums, however it seems like a faulty (incomplete?) install package to me - and that's installed using Telltale installer...

In other threads here people mention that the installer should be about 2GB, however the one I've downloaded was just 1.5GB; maybe that's related to the issue?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Ghorin wrote: »
    After I've installed the whispered world from the adventure bundle, it seems that the 'videos' folder from game directory is missing - no videos are played in the game and the message.log file in the whispered world directory contains entries like:
    22:48:59: Error: can't open file 'videos\video.vv016' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    22:48:59: Warning: Could not open video file 'Adventure_Dateien\Videos\Logos\daedalic_intro.ogv#m#016#00000#'
    22:48:59: Error: can't open file 'videos\video.vv017' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    22:48:59: Warning: Could not open video file 'Adventure_Dateien\Videos\Logos\deep_silver_intro.ogv#m#017#00000#'
    22:49:06: Error: can't open file 'videos\video.vv001' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    22:49:06: Warning: Could not open video file 'Adventure_Dateien\Videos\IngameCredits.ogv#m#001#00000#'
    22:49:12: Error: can't open file 'videos\video.vv015' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    22:49:12: Warning: Could not open video file 'Adventure_Dateien\Videos\Intro.ogv#m#015#00000#'

I'm not sure whether it should maybe be posted on Daedalic forums, however it seems like a faulty (incomplete?) install package to me - and that's installed using Telltale installer...

In other threads here people mention that the installer should be about 2GB, however the one I've downloaded was just 1.5GB; maybe that's related to the issue?

same problem here.
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah, I've got exactly the same problem. Quiet strange, indeed.
  • edited September 2010
    Same problem too, but no solution yet.

I noticed there aren't videos because I saw a friend playing the game from the beginning and it started with a video, but in my game, I have a quiet slow loading step followed by Sadwick directly in his room. C'mon, at first problems in the installation, and now this...
  • edited September 2010
    I was pondering on chapter 3 that something was missing with all the happenings between them. And I realised there were no videos to be shown. I hope this gets settled soon so I can go back finishing this marvelous game.
  • edited September 2010
    Ah bugger, I've just realised the same thing. No intro video played, and upon checking my message log it is complaining about a missing VIDEO directory. Well, this is silly.
  • edited September 2010
    Please add the video ASAP!
  • edited September 2010
    This is completely ridiculous!!! This pack has problems everywhere! Slow downloads, problems when installing, and no videos in TWW. I even had problems with the Adventure Bundle application, saying it was unable to connect to internet, so I could not download nor install the games... ¡We want a solution!
  • edited September 2010
    I also have no video. I initially had a problem installing the games and came to the forums. Solution to that was running the installer as an admin by right clicking on it. But once I started reading the forums, I realized this was a common problem and low and behold, my game has no videos either and the entire folder is about 1.6GB rather than 2GB as others are mentioning. What is the fix? Thanks!
  • edited September 2010
    No patch of any kind to help solve this problem? :(
  • edited September 2010
    It's Sunday, I'm sure fixing these issues will be priority 1 tomorrow :D
  • edited September 2010
    JFreeman wrote: »
    It's Sunday, I'm sure fixing these issues will be priority 1 tomorrow :D

It's Labor Day weekend at that! I'm confident telltale will fix this issue once they get back in the office, until then I'll play a different game. =)
  • edited September 2010
    They'd better solve the adventure bundle issues as soon as possible: I know a lot of people that are willing to buy the bundle (there are real good games at a real good price), but aren't willing to spend money (even for a good cause) on such a defective bundle.
  • edited September 2010
    Hi guys - sorry about the issues with Whispered Worlds videos not showing up. It's not something we ever ran across in testing, but we're looking into it now. The 1.6 gigs for WW is the correct file size (I misquoted earlier when I mentioned 2 gigs - lost of late nights lately!), so it looks like you have all the videos and they're just not installing correctly. We're working on a fix now - hopefully it will get resolved in the next few hours or day or so. I'll let you know when to grab the new WW installer.
  • edited September 2010
    Rich C wrote: »
    Hi guys - sorry about the issues with Whispered Worlds videos not showing up. It's not something we ever ran across in testing, but we're looking into it now. The 1.6 gigs for WW is the correct file size (I misquoted earlier when I mentioned 2 gigs - lost of late nights lately!), so it looks like you have all the videos and they're just not installing correctly. We're working on a fix now - hopefully it will get resolved in the next few hours or day or so. I'll let you know when to grab the new WW installer.

Thanks, Rich :D
  • edited September 2010

Yeah, thanks! I'm impressed someone is working on a Sunday, let alone Labor Day weekend. Kudos to y'all! =)
  • edited September 2010
    i have the same problem as well. It would of been nice to get a Steam activation code for this pack since all the games in the pack are on steam. Oh well at least we sent the money to the charity of our choice.
  • edited September 2010
    Hi again everyone - looks like we got the Whispered Worlds video issue sorted out - unfortunately, you'll have to re-download to get the videos included in your install, if you ran into that issue. But otherwise, let us know if it's working for you now!
  • edited September 2010
    Actually, hold off about an hour on Whispered World - we have a fix done, but it needs to get uploaded (I'd misinterpreted something from one of the other guys here and thought it had been uploaded for you guys to grab - sorry about that!).
  • PsyPsy
    edited September 2010
    It's fixed now for real by the way. You'll have to redownload the whispered world unfortunately

Edit: The videos thing is fixed, we're working on other stuff.
  • edited September 2010
    Hi again everyone - looks like we got the Whispered Worlds video issue sorted out - unfortunately, you'll have to re-download to get the videos included in your install, if you ran into that issue. But otherwise, let us know if it's working for you now!

Superb! Now we can get back on spreading the word for bundle ;)
  • edited September 2010
    ah. I though I had accidentally turned the videos off. how do I redownload? the adventure bundle pack doesn't give me that option.
  • edited September 2010
    Hello, i need help.
    I redownloaded the whispered world, now there were 2 parts of the file.
    I could install them from the adventure bundle application, still however there are no videos in the game and it usually crashes after a few minutes.
    I have win7 64bit. My direcx and graphic driver is updated.
  • edited September 2010
    To get the videos working, i uninstalled the first download - the new download comes in two files... when it was done, i click install.. an error dialog box came up which i hastily cleared away. So i restart the 'bundle' app and the 2nd file - tww2.exe is re-downloading again...
  • edited September 2010
    For the record, I wiped The Whispered World from my system and went back the the Adventure Bundle software. Two files downloaded, the first similar to the previous single file, but slightly larger, the second about 542MB. I let it install and loaded the program but there were still no videos. Suspecting that the second file hadn't run, I went and ran it manually and sure enough, the videos all extracted to the appropriate places.

Anyway, fortunately I seem to have everything working in the Adventure Bundle, but it's been a bit disappointing that there have been so many bugs and problems (bundle software won't login, bundle software doesn't prompt when the username and password are wrong, downloading processes frequently freezing and resetting to 0, files turning up corrupt after they've been downloaded, videos missing from WW, video installer fix not running, King's Quest 4 requiring the manual to start without any indication in the UI as to where the manual's stored). Telltale, I still love your games and your attitude as a company, but this one has been a bit of a disaster... :(
  • edited September 2010
    I have the videos, but at least the begining of the game keeps stoping every 5 seconds. It's very annoying...

EDIT: Ok, this keeps stopying and repeating the voices in the videos, and it's extremely annoying. What can I do? Isn't there anyone else with the same problem in the videos?
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah, when I redownloaded The Whispered World and got the videos- now it crashes all the time. Half the time during one of the logos, and even if I make it past the logos, the opening video stutters to the point of being unwatchable. Everything else from the bundle is working fine for me, though (haven't tried Puzzle Agent yet).
  • edited September 2010
    I'm not getting as far as you guys. My download was corrupted. =( How do I make the installer ditch the corrupted download so I can try again? (Some people are obviously getting a non-corrupted, so I'll try again later)
  • edited September 2010
    I can't get the full thing to download. I spent all day downloading the 1st part and it was only 1.43 GB when it finished. Now I can't get the file to delete, it keeps locking up explorer.
  • edited September 2010
    ilande: try deleting the files in your bundle folder (usually under C:\Users\xx\Documents\Telltale Games\Adventure Bundle). The files are tww.exe and tww2.exe. Delete them and try dowloading the game again, it worked for me. Too bad the videos still stutter but the game is playable. Maybe TT will find a way to solve this and the Puzzle Agent text issue in a way that won't involve dowloading the games once again. Anyway thanks for the cheap bundle and unlocking PA earlies. Hope we can still get Sam & Max.
  • edited September 2010
    Try downloading them not through the installer but directly with these links:

http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/adventurebundle/tww.exe
    http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/adventurebundle/tww2.exe

tww2.exe worked directly for me, tww.exe I had to try twice. If you don't get vids after reunning tww.exe try manually running tww2.exe
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks so much for the links, SuperDrops- I had an epic 20 hour struggle to get the file downloaded yesterday (with plenty of installer crashing) but downloading them directly got the file to me in under an hour and in perfect working condition. I'd recommend using them if you're having trouble with corrupted files (the files are saved in your documents in the telltale games folder, if you need to delete the bad ones.)

Got the video stuttering problem as well, though- tried running as administrator and changing compatibility, but no joy. Guess that means there's going to be a *4th* download somewhere in my future then?
  • edited September 2010
    I give up with this nonsense. I'll uninstall and delete all the games and the bundle. I may try it a few weeks later. This has been a really bad purchase. Strongly disappointed indeed...
  • edited September 2010
    I cannot get it to work at all. The bigger of the two files keeps locking up explorer and I can't even open it.
  • edited September 2010
    I finally got the first file to open. It took 45 min to get the "You are running a program from an unknown publisher do you want to run?" message and then another 15 min for the installer to actually open.
  • edited September 2010
    Got it installed, the audio was de-synced before the video even started to stutter.
  • edited September 2010
    i spent way too long trying to get this to work. i downloaded the installer twice and the whispered world four times! finally got the game to run then the videos didn't! tried running tww2.exe by itself and nothing happened.

i uninstalled and deleted everything. i requested a refund through support. i also explained that i wouldn't buy a single game in the future if it requires the use of the wrapper, installer, drm thing. horrible.
This discussion has been closed.