Hold on..(MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T BEAT 302!!)

edited September 2010 in Sam & Max
At the end of: "The Tomb of Sammun-mak", Sam and Max's grandparents get zapped by the mole mans daughters curse, and disintegrate, How did they give birth to Sam and Max's parents to have Sam and Max? Did they even find Wives?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I'm pretty sure it happened in between Sameth and Maximus riding the disorient express to the tomb and arriving at the tomb. And no, I don't see the need for spoiler tags here because the title says that it has major spoilers.
  • edited September 2010
    Probably outside of the story, I guess.

Or maybe it's the Duck syndrome, where everyone is uncle and nephew but keep taking the places of fathers and sons.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm sure they already had kids before 302 even began, they just conveniently forgot about their family until the end.
  • edited September 2010
    Another question it was told in 305 that sam and max where able to control sammeth and maximus.
    Although that explains how learning something in reel 3 helped them in reel one.
    It doesnt explain how
    A. they had no clue that they where controling them
    B. If they where killed in the end, how did sam and max survive
    C. How could sam leave if he was controlling sammeth
    D. How could Max be controlling maximus if he was attacked and his brain was stolen.
    E.How could they make commentary during this
    F.How could they switch reels if they didnt know how to leave and come back.
  • edited September 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »

They were only loaner bodies. Sam talks about this with Skunkape in 305.
  • edited September 2010
    Another question it was told in 305 that sam and max where able to control sammeth and maximus.
    Although that explains how learning something in reel 3 helped them in reel one.
    It doesnt explain how
    D. How could Max be controlling maximus if he was attacked and his brain was stolen.

They were more likely only providing information rather than flat-out controlling them. Besides, I reckon the whole final cinematic was the ancestors acting of their own will, not being controlled.
  • edited September 2010
    They were only loaner bodies. Sam talks about this with Skunkape in 305.

Well I guess that works for that question, the others on the other hand...
  • edited September 2010
    Yes ask how cartoon characters have kids after their deaths & don't ask WHY IS THEIR A TALKING DOG & RABBIT!!!! HOLY CRAP!!!
  • edited September 2010
    Why wouldn't there be?
  • edited September 2010
    fred1712 wrote: »
    At the end of: "The Tomb of Sammun-mak", Sam and Max's grandparents get zapped by the mole mans daughters curse, and disintegrate, How did they give birth to Sam and Max's parents to have Sam and Max? Did they even find Wives?
    How do you know they didn't have kids before that?
  • edited September 2010
    As I recall, they admit they don't yet have descendents shortly before being killed.... *it's a joke*
  • edited September 2010
    Perhaps some of thier DNA was discovered years later and was used to create thier "children" ala the Les Enfants Terribles project in Metal Gear.
  • edited September 2010
    but you control sameth even though sam has gone to the bathroom, how do you explain that?
  • edited September 2010
    Soeroah wrote: »
    They were more likely only providing information rather than flat-out controlling them. Besides, I reckon the whole final cinematic was the ancestors acting of their own will, not being controlled.

but your sam controlling sameth, so how could you still control sameth if he was acting of his own free will.
  • edited September 2010
    It doesnt explain how

I think that as soon as papierwaite got pulled into the toybox max stopped controlling maximus and that was when his brain was stolen, that answers b as well, max had his brain stolen so he was no longer astral projecting. There is one other thing you never mentioned. If sam controls sameth and you control sam then how could you control sameth if sam went to the bathroom?
  • edited September 2010
    There is one other thing you never mentioned. If sam controls sameth and you control sam then how could you control sameth if sam went to the bathroom?

It can simply be that when noone is controlling a host body, this host body continues on acting on his own. Like, Sameth did what he did in the past.

Like, for instance, if Santa was there watching the reels with Sam and Max he could control Kringle; but just because Santa is not there it doesn't mean Kringle in the movie is left motionless or thoughtless.
  • edited September 2010
    I see it like this:

Sam is Sameth's grandson so that means he can astral project into him if Max is with him. BUT from the looks of Astral Projection in 2010 then the version in Sam & Max's basement it's more complicated and possibly only lets Sam & Max control Sameth & Maximus with certain limits.
    So Sam & Max will hear what's going on inside the projected film, be able to command Sameth & Maximus into certain rooms BUT Sameth & Maximus will still have their memories and be able to talk to people with their own answers and results.

As for Sam & Max's grandfathers, we don't know anything about Sameth & Maximus, for all we know they have a wife and kids somewhere in a fine upstanding street somewhere in town. And I doubt they payed much attention to them either way.
  • edited September 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    I see it like this:

Sam is Sameth's grandson so that means he can astral project into him if Max is with him. BUT from the looks of Astral Projection in 2010 then the version in Sam & Max's basement it's more complicated and possibly only lets Sam & Max control Sameth & Maximus with certain limits.
    So Sam & Max will hear what's going on inside the projected film, be able to command Sameth & Maximus into certain rooms BUT Sameth & Maximus will still have their memories and be able to talk to people with their own answers and results.

As for Sam & Max's grandfathers, we don't know anything about Sameth & Maximus, for all we know they have a wife and kids somewhere in a fine upstanding street somewhere in town. And I doubt they payed much attention to them either way.

I agree, that episode used to bug me, i never understood them astral projecting into their grandfathers. For one thing sameth and maximus act like themselves and not like sam and max, plus 205 never cleared it up either, they weren't controlling their grandfathers directly like sam did with his clones. Also they couldn't keep commenting on the reels if they were in the reels, there bodies would be lifeless if they were inside their grandfathers. It does make sense that all they do is pass on information in order to make the past happen exactly how it should. That means sam and max were meant to make sure the past happened how it happened. If they never found the projector then the devil's toybox would still be in the tomb of sammun-mak. They may have been able to guess about a toy bi-plane in reel 1 but they would have been killed by the conductor in reel 2 by being thrown out the window, there is no way they would have sung ride of the valkries to amelia cause they haven't met her before.
  • edited September 2010
    Keep in mind that Sam was able to fully control his clones with ease because his clones are pretty much thoughtless. Sameth and Maximus are two individuals that think for theirselves, so they might have been doing their usual stuff while Sam and Max watch the situation from their view. Sam and Max were only pushing their own thoughts to Sameth and Maximus whenever needed.
  • edited September 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Sam and Max were only pushing their own thoughts to Sameth and Maximus whenever needed.

Yes, that sounds about right. Besides, the reels were obviously memories of Sameth & Maximus so Sam and Max are only expieriencing(???) what Sameth and Maximus had gone through in 302. It still doesn't explain how the real Sameth and Maximus found out about the biplane and told the elves, unless they are truly clever and thought it up for themselves, so some questions can't be answered and if they are we'll probably be very disappointed.
  • edited September 2010
    Maybe Sam & Max are Test Tube Babies; like Bosco.
  • edited September 2010
    The way I see it Sam and Max weren't controlling Sameth and Maximus, they were just figuring out what happened. It was a psychic toy, not a real movie. Like in the projector inside Max's brain, the "slideshow" was made of actual memories, say, as if the reels were Maximus' memories. But the memories were misleading and incomplete. It's standard "psychic" material, like the guys who supposedly can have fragments of visions of events that happened in whatever places.

So Sam and Max were just watching Maximus' memories, incomplete and fragmentary, and had to fill in the holes. We're not exactly sure how Sameth and Maximus solved the mystery, but this is a common pitfall of time travel stories: you get knowledge from the future, but there's no plausible reason for a future you coming into said knowledge in the first place. We just know they did solve the mystery and brought the Toybox to the basement of the 1313 Straight Street, to die shortly afterwards.

No, they supposedly had no kids, and then they die. It's actually a pretty funny joke. Call it Uncle syndrome.

Sam couldn't have operated the psychic toy without Max, but Max was perfectly capable of doing the contrary. As with the "future vision" toy, it's Max having the visions and Sam can see them too somehow.
  • edited September 2010
    Sameth and Maximus have already sons, they say it before the end.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.