The Great Adventure Bundle 2010 and You

edited September 2010 in Game Support
Seeing as alot of people are having "fun" making things work for them on the GAB, I thought I would also start a great little thread.

I'm actually going to skip to the most classic of the games on here and go right into the King's Quest Collection by Sierra Entertainment (and no, that's NOT a typo, it is a statement). If you've played any of them in the system, you'll have noticed that they use DOSBox to run the DOS versions of the games. Also, you may have noticed that the games play in tiny little windows.

However, this can be rectified by modifying the dosbox.conf files found in each of the folders that the games come in.

In fact, I'm going to cut and paste my settings so you can use them yourself!

Under [sdl]:
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=0x0
output=ddraw
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

Under [render]:
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x (except for KQ7, this needs to read scaler=normal3x)

Fullscreen=true makes the game start in full screen instead of the goofy tiny window and both fullresolution=0x0 and output=ddraw (DirectDraw, uses hardware graphics instead of your core processor) make the game stretch to fit your monitor's native resolution instead of the game's, and aspect=false and scaler=normal2x or 3x makes it use the whole screen. The only one that stays stubbornly in standard 4:3 instead of widescreen is KQ7, but we'll let that go. Autolock and sensitivity are the mouse settings.

Speaking of KQ7, TellTale Games guys, who wrote the config file for that thing? It sucks! Whatever config file you left in there used someone's personal capture folder instead of a default one! However, kudos for using the latest version of DOSBox!

Anyway, enough about my rant, anyone know how to make KQ6's intro video actually have sounds?

Also, any other tips on making everything work for you, feel free to share!

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I just recently got into PC gaming and last week built my first rig. I've run into lots of problems, done my research, and fixed them. I'm learning a lot very quickly, but am still a novice. So please don't laugh! =P

What application do you use to modify the dosbox.conf file?

Thanks!
  • edited September 2010
    Speaking of KQ7, TellTale Games guys, who wrote the config file for that thing? It sucks! Whatever config file you left in there used someone's personal capture folder instead of a default one! However, kudos for using the latest version of DOSBox!

Vivendi wrote it. they originally released the cd collection (which is the version I have) and these files are the exact same ones.
  • edited September 2010
    Yes, I understand he put in his own values, but when I click on dosbox.conf Windows 7 brings up a message asking me what program I want to use to access the file. I don't know what program to use to modify the configuration file and place Vivendi's values with. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks!
  • edited September 2010
    @ilande just choose notepad
  • edited September 2010
    mateo360 wrote: »
    Vivendi wrote it. they originally released the cd collection (which is the version I have) and these files are the exact same ones.
    Not quite, the version of DOSBox that was included with the first collection that Vivendi released, which I owned, had DOSBox 0.68 in it. This one has the latest version, 0.74, incuded. Also, at least they included the 3rd version of Sierra's manual that includes all the games in it, instead of using the second version of the manual and then throwing in KQ7's manual at the end as an afterthought. Still not happy about the Activision name in the other crap.

As for my settings adjustments, yes, use Notepad. Sorry I didn't spell that out earlier.
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks y'all! It was a newbie Q. The shame is mine. =P
  • edited September 2010
    Not quite, the version of DOSBox that was included with the first collection that Vivendi released, which I owned, had DOSBox 0.68 in it. This one has the latest version, 0.74, incuded. Also, at least they included the 3rd version of Sierra's manual that includes all the games in it, instead of using the second version of the manual and then throwing in KQ7's manual at the end as an afterthought. Still not happy about the Activision name in the other crap.

As for my settings adjustments, yes, use Notepad. Sorry I didn't spell that out earlier.

Dosbox has nothing to do with the config file. Vivendi wrote it so that way dosbox would start the way they wanted it to. dosbox is just the program used to execute to commands in the config
  • edited September 2010
    Anyone else getting the problem "Error opening file for writing" on a Win7 machine? I know its not admin access as I am the admin and the only user on this machine. I've downloaded both Puzzle Agent and Whispered World and get the error on both.
  • edited September 2010
    Anyone else getting the problem "Error opening file for writing" on a Win7 machine? I know its not admin access as I am the admin and the only user on this machine. I've downloaded both Puzzle Agent and Whispered World and get the error on both.

This is an easy fix. Right click the file and click "run as admin." There should be a shield icon next to this choice. If you have more problems (like me) come back!
  • edited September 2010
    mateo360 wrote: »
    Dosbox has nothing to do with the config file. Vivendi wrote it so that way dosbox would start the way they wanted it to. dosbox is just the program used to execute to commands in the config
    Actually, with the old version of the collection, DOSBox would flip my orientation sideways until I changed the DOSbox version and was able to further tweak settings. Even the DOSBox team was not happy with 0.68.
  • edited September 2010
    ilande wrote: »
    This is an easy fix. Right click the file and click "run as admin." There should be a shield icon next to this choice. If you have more problems (like me) come back!

Thanks, first time I've ever run into that problem on this machine/Win7 since January when I first built this thing up/ got Win 7.
  • edited September 2010
    Here is my little problem - after I installed the Great Adventure Bundle, I tried to open the file using the shortcut. However, it simply does not open. The cursor changes for a while to the loading cursor, then back to normal without any special message. Can anyone tell me what is the problem? (and how to solve it?)
  • edited September 2010
    I constantly have the same problems w/ Steam and iTunes. My advice is use Ctrl-Alt-Delete.Click the processestab and end the bundle's process.After that, it should open and run fine.
  • edited September 2010
    Yep, your computer started it, just never loaded it. The process crash kills the program and allows you to retry opening it up.
  • edited September 2010
    I tried doing this, but the adventure bundle appears for so little time in the processes that when I cancel it, it probably does not exist anymore. Anyway, I get a message saying that the action wasn't possible for this process whenever I try canceling it.
  • edited September 2010
    Are you trying to End Process for AdventureBundle.exe?
  • edited September 2010
    Yes. This is the only new process that seems to appear.
  • edited September 2010
    Have you tried reinstalling it?
  • edited September 2010
    Nevermind, my computer had a problem which did not enable me to play, but it was gone. Thanks!
  • edited September 2010
    I've installed the adventure bundle on a win-7 machine and get the following runtime error when I try to launch it:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library:

'R6034
    An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.'

Has anyone else seen this error message and know of a solution?
This discussion has been closed.