The Whispered World video stuttering

edited November 2011 in Game Support
During video playback in The Whispered World there's a great deal of audio stuttering, and by the end of the video the audio is all out of sync.

Anyone else experiencing this, or worked out a fix?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Kemayo wrote: »
    During video playback in The Whispered World there's a great deal of audio stuttering, and by the end of the video the audio is all out of sync.

Anyone else experiencing this, or worked out a fix?

http://forum.daedalic.de/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=418&sid=8ae33b8f938f8afa9bf56cae7ddd5fe3

It's because of the DRM, ironically the way to fix it is using a cracked exe, I hope Telltale can fix this or at least remove the DRM from TWW.
  • edited September 2010
    I can now confirm that a cracked .exe fixed my issues.

http://xkcd.com/488/ :P
  • edited September 2010
    Kemayo wrote: »
    I can now confirm that a cracked .exe fixed my issues.

http://xkcd.com/488/ :P

Also confirmed. Using a cracked exe seems to be just about the only solution to voice stuttering in videos.

And they wonder why consumers hate DRM...
  • edited September 2010
    Putting my name in for another person with the same issue. =( Guess I'll have to go get a crack unless an update is released soon.
  • edited September 2010
    Does anyone have a link to a reliable crack? :)
  • edited September 2010
    Any updates on this issue? Telltale are being awfully quiet. I really wanna play this game.
  • edited September 2010
    Does anyone have a link to a reliable crack? :)

:D Let me check if the one I'm downloading works, and I'll let you know :D

EDIT:

Yes, it works. Another confirmation. Cracked .exe's do solve the problem.
    Would you like me to PM you? :)
  • edited September 2010
    I am glad to see that it's not my rig but the drm's fault that the games almost unplayable but when will TellTales fix it? I bought this game with the adventure bundle and don't want to find out that all of them are broken because of DRM.
  • edited September 2010
    byayoi wrote: »

Lordy, yes, please!!

Poor game!!!! D,=
  • edited September 2010
    Lordy, yes, please!!

Poor game!!!! D,=

There :D
    I hope that helps :)
  • edited September 2010
    Rigs83 wrote: »
    I am glad to see that it's not my rig but the drm's fault that the games almost unplayable but when will TellTales fix it? I bought this game with the adventure bundle and don't want to find out that all of them are broken because of DRM.

No, apparently only this game is on the brink of being broken because of bad DRM. All of the KQ games just need tweaking to their dosbox.conf files to make them work better, which you can find in my thread. Other than the issues with the launcher being kinda slow on the uptake, I think this is a good program and a great deal for a great cause.
  • edited September 2010
    Still no word on this one then? I'd simply like a timeframe for a fix really, so I know it's being worked on at least.
  • edited September 2010
    Hello again.
    Well, my unstuttering game lasted until I watched the first video flawlessly (at last I could watch Sadwick's nightmare!), and then I decided to quit the game and to copy the saved games from the Telltale version of Whispered World, to the cracked version of the game...
    And now, both versions have stuttering videos.
    Any ideas about this?

By the way, I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition in spanish, with Service Pack 2.
  • edited September 2010
    DRM makes my head hurt. I just want to play this game but it's too damn broken to get past the first fmv.
  • edited September 2010
    I know it's not ideal, but I skipped the FMVs in-game and watched them on youtube later. It got me through the game and all you have to do is save, Alt+Tab it to your browser if you have it open and watch what you've missed (which is never much anyway, the FMVs aren't long ones). I managed to play the whole game and besides a slight slowing of pace it didn't really take from the game at all. Just a quick solve for anyone who really can't wait for a fix.

Here is the video series I used. It's a full play through of the game so you may have to do a little searching to find the section you want but it's all in English and it's all there.
  • edited September 2010
    Apart from some issues with the downloading of TWW, i don't have stuttering problems with the videos - played nicely with no need of a cracked file.

I'm on a Windows 7 Home Prem 64-bit with 4GB, Nvidia GTX460 SLI, Soundblaster X-fi.

Try checking that the TWW2.EXE installer has the correct checksum after downloading. The correct checksum is in another thread related to 'NSIS error'.

On the other hand, i have problems with Puzzle Agent not being able to display the logs properly on the snowboard puzzle.
  • edited September 2010
    Any news on this?
    Otherwise I guess theres no way around piracy if you want to play this game. :(

So... if anyone would pm me a link to an exe that works, I would be very grateful. :)
  • edited September 2010
    byayoi wrote: »
    :D Let me check if the one I'm downloading works, and I'll let you know :D

EDIT:

Can you please send to me too :)?
  • edited September 2010
    For Whispered World support, you'll want to contact Daedalic Entertainment at http://www.deepsilver.com/en/support/
  • edited September 2010
    Yeps, cracking the exe helps.

Search on usenet for: Jan Willem post repair files Telltale Adventure Bundle:The Whispered World - CRACK ONLY) or use the attached file which you can use to download the file from the newsgroups.

BUT as bonnie told you, for real support you realy have to contact the manifacturer of the product (Looks like german only)

For Whispered World support, you'll want to contact Daedalic Entertainment at http://www.deepsilver.com/en/support/
  • edited September 2010
    I bought this bundle mainly for TWW and the stuttering videos are really annoying. Hopefully something will be done about it, since clearly it's a widespread problem.
  • edited September 2010
    I distrust pirated this and cracked that, and as such I'm not familiar with how to use these things. I'm a patient man. What I really need to hear is something from someone at Telltale saying, "We are aware of the problem and are working on a fix." So far the only info I've heard from Telltale is, "Go ask your mother (Daedalic)." and their website more or less says, "Go ask your father (Telltale)." and I'm not sure if there's anyone anywhere that's actually working on making this work for me.

To hear Daedalic tell it, the problem is with the DRM that was placed on the file. Everyone else who's taken pains to get rid of their DRM has confirmed that this seems to do the trick. I'm not one of those knee-jerk, "DRM!? EVIL!" types, but this seems to be a case where it's not doing us any good.

I'm not a complainer, and I'm staying loyal to Telltale to the end, but I'd like to know what's being done and when I can expect an improvement. I shouldn't have to pirate it, and I shouldn't have to buy a second copy from somewhere else. I bought it from you guys! I've installed all the latest drivers, and have tried all sorts of compatability settings. I was pretty much forced into the ultimate form of troubleshooting when my hard drive crashed a week ago. I lost everything and had to start from scratch. Everything else on my PC works. The Whispered World starts stuttering in the exact same spot, and my curser doesn't respond correctly once the game starts. I'm willing to wait, but tell me I'm waiting for something!
  • edited September 2010
    Somone tell me why we need a second DRM, when the Adventure Bundle already requires you log in to TTG and confirm you purchased the game....................

TWW will not even run for me (hell it wont even uninstall!), I guess I'll be hunting down the crack too...
  • edited September 2010
    Well, they haven't said anything about this problem at TTG. As I also say, people would fell much better with a simple: "We are working on it". The best of all is that when you read the blog they keep saying this has been a great success, we are great, they are having plenty of feedback, and they even posted that they respond to every inquiry ASAP... Yeah, right...

Extremely dissapointed, just as the day I bought it, two weeks ago!
  • edited September 2010
    I too have the stuttering video problem. I really wish this were fixed.
  • edited September 2010
    Pak-Man wrote: »
    I distrust pirated this and cracked that, and as such I'm not familiar with how to use these things.

To hear Daedalic tell it, the problem is with the DRM that was placed on the file. Everyone else who's taken pains to get rid of their DRM has confirmed that this seems to do the trick. I'm not one of those knee-jerk, "DRM!? EVIL!" types, but this seems to be a case where it's not doing us any good.

I shouldn't have to pirate it, and I shouldn't have to buy a second copy from somewhere else.

Just get it from a reputable site. There really ARE a few good, honest*, pirate sites (*honest in all ways except pirating that is)

DRM is pointless and should be relegated to, like TTG, requiring you to log in to your account. It's not gonna stop anyone that *really* wants to pirate a game.

Agreed. we bought it, we should EXPECT to have a working copy, even if we do have to jump through a few extra hoops it should still WORK.
    I too have the stuttering video problem. I really wish this were fixed.

look for the crack. Seems to solve the problem.
  • edited October 2010
    Will someone please PM me the link to the crack and directions on what to do once I download it? I've never had to do this before. I bought my version from Adventure Shop and am having the same problem everyone's having who downloaded it from somewhere. I just paid $30 for this game. Seems like they should have fixed this issue by now, but I guess not.

TIA. =(
  • edited October 2010
    TragicallyHip, if you receive the PM, please send it to me aswell ^^U
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah, I give up. If anyone has this magical crack that makes the game work, PM me with the link and how to use it.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm desperate for this link or instruction on what to do with the link above once downloaded please!!!
  • edited November 2010
    It seems that both Telltale and Daedalic have just stopped addressing this issue. I'm trying to find an crack to get it working, and all Google gives me is pirate versions of the whole game and cracks for the German version (which I'm not sure will work?).

Edit: think I got it going, never mind.
  • edited November 2010
    Like others, I would be grateful for a link to a DRM free version of the EXE. Please PM me, piracy isn't my area of expertise, and I don't know how to use Usenet!

Thanks,

- Al
  • edited November 2010
    Here's what I did. Hope this is OK - seems a bit silly that it's unplayable for a lot of us and there's no official solution after months.

- Go to jan's link: http://www.mediafire.com/Adventure%20Bundle
    - Click 'tww' folder
    - Get 'The Whispered World - SKIDROW - CRACK ONLY.zip'
    - Unzip and copy the new TWW.exe file in there over to the game folder, replacing the old TWW.exe. Game folder is something like Program Files/Telltale/Adventure Bundle/tww/
    - Then I just run TWW.exe directly rather than go through the Adventure Bundle every time
  • edited November 2010
    That worked for me, many thanks!
  • edited November 2010
    Also worked for me. Already completed the game.

Shame TTG did nothing.
  • edited December 2010
    I had this problem as well. Telltale referring people to Daedalic isn't very surprising in my opinion since TTG didn't develop the game. Daedalic, in turn, kept sending people to Deep Silver's tech support, who is the publisher (and most likely the one to blame for the faulty DRM). Anyway, I e-mailed them about the issue but they didn't seem to trust me. :( The only advice they could come up with was "get a more powerful computer", even though I could run the demo without any hassle.

After that experience, my bad conscience from cracking the game was gone with the wind. Too bad that Deep Silver seems to be the publisher of many interesting adventure games nowadays. :(
  • edited December 2010
    ringo16 wrote: »
    Here's what I did. Hope this is OK - seems a bit silly that it's unplayable for a lot of us and there's no official solution after months.

- Go to jan's link: http://www.mediafire.com/Adventure%20Bundle
    - Click 'tww' folder
    - Get 'The Whispered World - SKIDROW - CRACK ONLY.zip'
    - Unzip and copy the new TWW.exe file in there over to the game folder, replacing the old TWW.exe. Game folder is something like Program Files/Telltale/Adventure Bundle/tww/
    - Then I just run TWW.exe directly rather than go through the Adventure Bundle every time

This did not fix the problem for me, although it did improve it slightly. Unfortunately, the game now also randomly dumps me back to the desktop.
  • edited January 2011
    Any fix yet?

Got TTW with my telltale Adventure Bundle tryed it on my two PCs

win 7 (32bit) 3.5 gb ram 2.2 ghz Total available graphics memory 1982 MB Dedicated graphics memory 512mb graphics card
    win 7 (64bit) 4 gb ram 3.2 ghz Total available graphics memory 1695 MB Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB onboard graphics

both stutter in the same place on the videos

the game now also randomly dumps me back to the desktop if i don't Esc the cutscene before the end of it.

tryed the no CD patch exe the stuttering is less than with the original exe but still the videos stutter in the same place on both PCs

tryed a fully torrent copy of the game, game still stutters in the same places as it i was useing the Adventure Bundle copy i bought with or with out the cd patch exe

tryed running/installing as administrator
    tryed all comb of compatibility settings and modes

anything else i can try?

messages log

19:31:16: Warning: A cutscene was started in action "Linksklick" (Id: 82146) but was not terminated
    20:04:54: Warning: A cutscene was started in action "'benutzen/nehmen' angewandt" (Id: 2905) but was not terminated
    20:16:16: Warning: A cutscene was started in action "'benutzen/nehmen' angewandt" (Id: 2905) but was not terminated

......21:06:08: Warning: Error: can't find object 4246 in table T62
    21:06:08: Warning: Error: can't find object 4245 in table T62
    21:06:08: Warning: Error: can't find object 2161 in table T62
    21:06:08: Warning: Error: can't find object 2 in table T212
    21:06:08: Warning: Error: can't find object 2 in table T57
    21:06:08: Warning: Error: can't find object 90 in table T53
    21:06:08: Warning: Error: can't find object 82781 in table T60
    21:06:08: Warning: Error: can't find object 174 in table T58
    21:06:08: Warning: Error: can't find object 2 in table T57
    21:06:08: Warning: Error: can't find object 177 in table T58
    21:06:08: Warning: Error: can't find object 8012 in table T59........

there is alot more in the log which are mainly to do with table T62

also forgot to say all audio and video drivers are up todate.

if there is no fix can someone youtube the main cutscene and i will just have to watch them on there :(

Thanks
  • edited January 2011
    Telltale has no intention of ever fixing this, because not enough people bought it for them to care about it.
  • edited November 2011
    I signed up just to fix this, I ordered my copy from Canada and waited about 2 weeks for it, so you can understand my disappointment! I downloaded that file ringo16 posted, it seemed to fix the problem...that is until I got to Shana's secret cabin, as I entered and turned to the chair the game completely crashes!! :( Is there a fix for this, I really want to play the game!! :x
This discussion has been closed.