It's time to unlock Sam & Max

edited September 2010 in Game Support
I had nothing but problems with this adventure bundle and have not been able to install anything. On one machine, it tells me it's looking for a dx9 dll. I've downloaded dx9 and that has not helped. On another, it can download the games but then I get Nullsoft errors.

I can't recommend this to my friends to buy, and I'm sure word has spread about how poor this installation package is. You've got the money from us now, the least you can do is throw in the Sam & Max. You're not going to get anywhere near 5K downloads, given all the problems people are having.

I'll come back in about a week and hopefully I can redownload and start actually playing the games I bought.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I respectfully agree that Telltale should unlock Sam & Max Season 2, regardless of how many bundles end up getting sold. I too have found this bundle very hard to recommend, given the (many) technical issues associated with it--and if Sam & Max doesn't get unlocked, then that will be an additional slap in the face to the people who did buy the thing despite its technical shakiness.
  • edited September 2010
    As much as it pains me, I agree. I bought the pack for S2, thinking the other games were a bonus, but I invested a hideous amount of time merely trying to download them. When I did, they didn't even work. For shame.

Please, Telltale, send S2 our way. Please? Think of the children!
  • edited September 2010
    Just buy S2 it is not that expensive. I just recently bought both S2 and the bundle and it was CHEAP.
    They already gave us a killer deal no need to complain we already got puzzle agent.

also 99% of the time installation issues are the end users fault.
  • edited September 2010
  • edited September 2010
    ZombieK wrote: »
    Just buy S2 it is not that expensive.

Why do you think I bought the adventure pack? It's cheaper than S2, and I get a load of games including Sam and Max. I'm not rolling in money, y'know.
  • edited September 2010
    Tentacle wrote: »
    Why do you think I bought the adventure pack? It's cheaper than S2, and I get a load of games including Sam and Max. I'm not rolling in money, y'know.
    You should of read the fine print.[not really it was explained in most places]
    And its already more then worth it with Puzzle Agent.[I was already gonna buy it for $10] Just save your cash tell you can afford all three sam and max seasons its only 40$. I dont make much money myself yet I can afford this.
  • edited September 2010
    You should of read the fine print.[not really it was explained in most places]
    And its already more then worth it with Puzzle Agent.[I was already gonna buy it for $10] Just save your cash tell you can afford all three sam and max seasons its only 40$. I dont make much money myself yet I can afford this.

Ugh. Nevermind, I'm going to get rheumatism at this rate.
  • edited September 2010
    The bundle's expiration date has been extended by a week...although I wonder if the target amount is achieveable, given the current selling rate.

On the plus side, we've helped a charity (or several.)

As someone who works for a small not-for-profit, I commend telltale games for offering this fantastic deal (and making it available internationally!)

Oh, and running as administrator on windows 7 does work. Otherwise I would not be so cheery...
  • edited September 2010
    Tentacle wrote: »
    Ugh. Nevermind, I'm going to get rheumatism at this rate.
    Yeah of course you are gonna get it if you just sit around never doing anything and expecting the games to buy themselves go work lol and earn the money.

If this does end up getting unlocked w.e but no use in complaining about what is already a awesome deal. they already broke the deadline with puzzle agent. There is no reason why they should be forced to break this one also.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm more concerned about receiving some kind of update. I'm sure they're working on fixing all these issues but I'd at least like to be told they are. I can play the KQ games (at least 1-3 are all I have tested) and Puzzle Agent works with a slight bug in the options menu where sliders and buttons aren't displayed. I really want to play TWW but it stutters uncontrollably and nobody on the internet is willing to tell anyone where they get crack files from to make it work but they're happy to state they found one and that their copy works.

So, any news on a fix? Time frame at least?
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah of course you are gonna get it if you just sit around never doing anything and expecting the games to buy themselves go work lol and earn the money.

If this does end up getting unlocked w.e but no use in complaining about what is already a awesome deal. they already broke the deadline with puzzle agent. There is no reason why they should be forced to break this one also.

I agree, it is an awesome deal. It would be a freaking fantastaticalmagical deal if any single one of the games I purchased would either a) download or b) install. Don't give me this garbage that 99% is working. Read the forums.

And please, don't insult me with this 'end users fault' garbage either. I'm a full-time coder. I think I know a wee bit about the technical side of things.

Anyway, back on focus for the thread. At the very least, Sam & max should be unlocked, to make up for this debacle of an installation package. Secondly, we should be informed of what is working, what isn't and what potential fixes there are via a sticky thread.

I commend the company for doing this, and I'm glad to be able to scoop up the games. I'm sure they'll sort it out eventually, but I can tell you this. If they don't sell 5K and I don't get Sam & Max for my troubles and non-functioning purchase, then I simply will not be buying from them again.
  • edited September 2010
    If you actually noticed, they unlocked Puzzle Agent early (it was originally the game at the 5K goal) and it wouldn't surprise me if there were 2 reasons they did that. The obvious reason is that they figured they wouldn't hit 5K to unlock Puzzle Agent, the other is to probably make up in a way to us that downloaded early and have had to put up with a lousy downloader and misbehaving installers.
  • edited September 2010

The headline of this promotion says "get 6 games for $19.95", not "get 4 (5) games for $19.95 and if 10k (5k) people buy this you'll get another 2 (1)".
  • edited September 2010

Unfounded statements like that will earn you neither my respect nor my time.

I suppose it's very kind of them to have given us Puzzle Agent, but the problems are still persisting for some people. A man can hope, though.
  • edited September 2010
    What ever lol you might just get your collection anyway.
    besides if there really is a big problem with this im sure it will be fixed but of course remember to update everything.

[Also my whole computer is updated Windows 7 Ultimate and I Can play each game fine if you run the adventure bundle as administrator by right clicking the exe. it may be just me that it works fine for me but i dunno about everyone]
  • edited September 2010
    Well it's a little unfair that poor installation problems may have prevented this package from ever selling 5k. So there was never really a chance of getting Sam 'n Max Season 2 even though it was something that enticed a lot of people, including me. I mean, I'm grateful that they unlocked Puzzle Agent early (though I already owned it), and I haven't had too many issues. But it's really disappointing that all of the bugs may have stifled sales.
  • edited September 2010
    Darkmire wrote: »
    Well it's a little unfair that poor installation problems may have prevented this package from ever selling 5k. So there was never really a chance of getting Sam 'n Max Season 2 even though it was something that enticed a lot of people, including me. I mean, I'm grateful that they unlocked Puzzle Agent early (though I already owned it), and I haven't had too many issues. But it's really disappointing that all of the bugs may have stifled sales.
    Exactly. It's not that 5K is unlikely because the fan didn't retweet sufficiently. 5K is unlikely because Telltalle messed up here and there. For the customers to miss out on Sam & Mac because Tellltalle made some mistakes--that just doesn't feel all that fair.

And as others have pointed out, the whole "6 games" thing is misleading without Sam & Max. You could say that the bundle currently contains 5 games (if the King's Quest collection counts as 1) or 11 games (if the King's Quest collection counts as 7), but there's simply no way that customers are currently getting "6 games for $19.99."
  • edited September 2010
    Don't give me this garbage that 99% is working. Read the forums.

This never works, because the people who aren't having problems are busy playing the games; only the people who are having problems are posting on the forums. :)
  • edited September 2010
    mokmoof wrote: »
    Exactly. It's not that 5K is unlikely because the fan didn't retweet sufficiently. 5K is unlikely because Telltalle messed up here and there. For the customers to miss out on Sam & Mac because Tellltalle made some mistakes--that just doesn't feel all that fair.

And as others have pointed out, the whole "6 games" thing is misleading without Sam & Max. You could say that the bundle currently contains 5 games (if the King's Quest collection counts as 1) or 11 games (if the King's Quest collection counts as 7), but there's simply no way that customers are currently getting "6 games for $19.99."
    The '6 game deal' was definitely stifled one way or the other. I feel like having Sam and Max: Season Two up there was somewhat of a red herring, considering that's what I wanted most and for whatever reason, the bundle just didn't take off. But I'm sure Telltale views the poor sales as just a general lack of interest in these games. And that could be the issue, though both Season Two and Whispered World alone each cost more than the package. That's a 'Steam Sale' level of discount and you would think that sales wouldn't be such a problem. Or maybe Telltale never expected to sell 5k bundles. I can't help but think that negative word of mouth was an issue. I didn't know about the bugs before I bought the bundle.

It's just not like Telltale at all and makes me wonder if the package was actually outsourced to someone else. Again, I'm generally happy with the package and contributing to charity, but it's really a shame that Sam and Max will likely never be unlocked.
  • edited September 2010
    How about you stop complaining about how you feel "cheated" out of Sam & Max Season 2 and try to remember that you are donating 5 bucks of your purchase to charity? Besides, it's been extended! And with the tally at about halfway to the 5K as I type this, it is entirely possible we could make it! Even if we don't make it, you still got 5 (actually 11 when you factor in that you get 7 King's Quest games) for $20 bucks AND gave some money to some great charities!
  • edited September 2010
    How about you stop complaining about how you feel "cheated" out of Sam & Max Season 2 and try to remember that you are donating 5 bucks of your purchase to charity? Besides, it's been extended! And with the tally at about halfway to the 5K as I type this, it is entirely possible we could make it! Even if we don't make it, you still got 5 (actually 11 when you factor in that you get 7 King's Quest games) for $20 bucks AND gave some money to some great charities!
    Is this directed at me? If so, wow, I don't know why you made such a nasty response. Selective reading? No one in the thread ever said cheated and I (and several other people) actually said the same stuff as you about charity and the amount of games in the package. Except you conveniently left out the bugs that kept people from even playing the games, or the way they forgot to upload part of The Whispered World.
  • edited September 2010
    I don't think this is an argument that will get settled, some are baying for blood while others can see the bright side. It's polar opposites. Personally, I can see the bright side and while it's a nuisance that some of the titles aren't working I've at least been able to play 3 of them (not without issues I might add; TWW stuttered in every video for me so I had to skip em, save and watch em on youtube). I am simply in love with TWW and KQ is a blast from the past. Puzzle Agent was pretty sweet too, like a mini Professor Layton but with an extremely unique, stylized look. Loved what I can play so far, but also disappointed with the issues. It's hard to imagine how all these bugs slipped through testing but the fact is they did and there's nothing that can be done about it except wait for fixes to happen, which I'm sure they will.

The thing is, we have to be patient. At this point I would say we wait until the sale of the bundle is over and we have fixes for the games. From there it's really up to the management at Telltale as to how they proceed and whether they feel they should give us Sam & Max, and I doubt anything we say will alter that decision. Everyone needs to chill out, let this take it's course and go from there. Voice your opinions, sure, you have a right to do that but don't bother getting at eachother's throats over them, it solves nothing, achieves nothing and won't help anyone.
  • edited September 2010
    jaeger138 wrote: »
    I don't think this is an argument that will get settled, some are baying for blood while others can see the bright side. It's polar opposites. Personally, I can see the bright side and while it's a nuisance that some of the titles aren't working I've at least been able to play 3 of them (not without issues I might add; TWW stuttered in every video for me so I had to skip em, save and watch em on youtube). I am simply in love with TWW and KQ is a blast from the past. Puzzle Agent was pretty sweet too, like a mini Professor Layton but with an extremely unique, stylized look. Loved what I can play so far, but also disappointed with the issues. It's hard to imagine how all these bugs slipped through testing but the fact is they did and there's nothing that can be done about it except wait for fixes to happen, which I'm sure they will.

The thing is, we have to be patient. At this point I would say we wait until the sale of the bundle is over and we have fixes for the games. From there it's really up to the management at Telltale as to how they proceed and whether they feel they should give us Sam & Max, and I doubt anything we say will alter that decision. Everyone needs to chill out, let this take it's course and go from there. Voice your opinions, sure, you have a right to do that but don't bother getting at eachother's throats over them, it solves nothing, achieves nothing and won't help anyone.
    Agreed as far as calming down goes. No one has ever convinced anyone of anything by means of flaming. Ever.

As for seeing "the bight side," there's no need to be as selective as all that. It's good that some people got 5 (or 11) games for $20, and that $5 of that purchase price went to charity. It's bad that Telltalle implied there would be 6 (or 12, or 13 if you include PAA Episode 2) games, and that the package has had all sorts of technical problems. You don't have to ignore the bad to see the good, or vice-versa.

No one wants blood. The customers want what they feel they've paid for, and Telltale wants to be a viable third-party distribution platform. Both of those ends would be served by unlocking Sam & Max.
  • edited September 2010
    Problem is, what the customer paid for is the games they have. The deal included unlocking certain games when certain sales targets were reached, so as far as it goes from a business perspective, when we bought the bundle we bought what we were given and would only be given extra if more people bought.

Although I agree that we all thought we were buying a working product but as far as I'm concerned I'm happy if they simply fix the bugs, extend the sales further after a fix has been made and see if they hit targets to unlock a new title.

The reason? I knew what I was buying. I was aware that Sam & Max wasn't part of the bundle yet and anyone who bought it on the premise of getting Sam & Max shouldn't be complaining now really. Puzzle Agent was unlocked to try to entice more sales, not because of bugs and issues and I don't think TT is going to unlock any more games because of these issues. Sadly, I think it's a risk you take with software these days. As games get bigger and better and more intensive on your system they are bound to have bugs on release so you should expect it. When Fallout 3 first got released it was simply filled with game breaking bugs but nobody was saying that they should get DLC or in-game content free because of it, they just expected a fix and I think that's all we can ask for here.

The bright side is a horde of decent games for a great price and helping some worthwhile charities; while you can't play some of the games be content with the idea of a fix on it's way and if you're still not satisfied ask for a refund. It's quite simple IMHO.
  • edited September 2010
    Problem is, what the customer paid for is the games they have. The deal included unlocking certain games when certain sales targets were reached, so as far as it goes from a business perspective, when we bought the bundle we bought what we were given and would only be given extra if more people bought.
    True enough. But again, the whole thing was put forth in a misleading manner: "6 games for $19.99" when the customer is not, apparently, getting 6 games. It's not that it's false advertising, or that we all deserve refunds. It's just that a sales pitch as vague and squishy as that is not written in stone; Telltale can revise the deal to make it more fair--as they already have, to some degree, by unlocking Puzzle Agent.

And again, I think we all (including Telltale) assumed that sales would be better. And one of the big reasons that sales haven't been better is that the product is a little broken, which is 100% Telltale's fault.

The targets weren't met. Fine. True. No one is arguing there. But I think it's important to look at why they weren't met, and to act accordingly.
    The reason? I knew what I was buying. I was aware that Sam & Max wasn't part of the bundle yet and anyone who bought it on the premise of getting Sam & Max shouldn't be complaining now really. Puzzle Agent was unlocked to try to entice more sales, not because of bugs and issues and I don't think TT is going to unlock any more games because of these issues. Sadly, I think it's a risk you take with software these days. As games get bigger and better and more intensive on your system they are bound to have bugs on release so you should expect it. When Fallout 3 first got released it was simply filled with game breaking bugs but nobody was saying that they should get DLC or in-game content free because of it, they just expected a fix and I think that's all we can ask for here.
    1. These games are not system-sapping behemoths on the level of Fallout 3. The issue is not that people can't run them.

2. These games are not brand new. We're not dealing with the "release now, patch later" scenario, where a shiny new game ships with severe problems. It's the bundle that's broken, and there's really no excuse for that.

3. Installers failing to work for no particular reason is absolutely not "a risk you take with software these days." When you buy software, and your system meets the requirements to run it, it is reasonable to expect that the software will run on your system.
    The bright side is a horde of decent games for a great price and helping some worthwhile charities; while you can't play some of the games be content with the idea of a fix on it's way and if you're still not satisfied ask for a refund. It's quite simple IMHO.
    It's not that simple. If fewer people buy the bundle, and the unlocks do not occur, then the value of each bundle drops. Telltale has tied the value of the bundle to sales numbers, then gimped those sales numbers with a broken installer and iffy support. That doesn't invalidate the deal or necessitate refunds, but it does suck.
  • edited September 2010
    I see both sides of the arguement, I know personally of many people that I once encouraged to buy the Bundle that when they looked at the telltale forums and saw all the issues that were going on, Balked and thus reduced sales.

Also at the same time I also see this is for good cause,

personally I own 3 of the chapters of S&MS2 already, due to free downloads that Telltale have passed out over time, and I never got into this for S2, I got into this for some fun Adventure games I'd never played before (which I got.. eventually after some difficulites) and to donate to charity.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Here you go!
    Thank you, Telltale!
  • edited September 2010
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    Here you go!
    Thank you, Telltale!

Saw the tweet of 'em....well....they unlock it tomorrow....but they can unlock anything and I won't be any happier if it works like the other....we'll see
  • edited September 2010
    Wow, Telltale. This is awesome, thank you. Only halfway to 5k and they're unlocking it. Hopefully there are no issues with the bundle version and it causes more people to pick it up. But I hope that, if sales do pick up, it doesn't bring an influx of new people with problems. Either way, hopefully this works out and they fix the issues with the bundle.
  • edited September 2010
    On some of the, rather few, mentions of the GAB 2010 in other adventure-gamers blogs & forums during the first week, there was word that TellTale Games would unlock S&M2, regardless of the sales. This was based on the reputation of the company as having established and maintaining a different, more personal and caring relationship with its customers/ gamers than most companies.

Once more, TellTale Games proves its reputation true.

Thank you.
  • edited September 2010
    DinoBirdy wrote: »
    On some of the, rather few, mentions of the GAB 2010 in other adventure-gamers blogs & forums during the first week, there was word that TellTale Games would unlock S&M2, regardless of the sales. This was based on the reputation of the company as having established and maintaining a different, more personal and caring relationship with its customers/ gamers than most companies.

Once more, TellTale Games proves its reputation true.

Thank you.
    Indeed.

I celebrated by jumping on the Monkey Island deal as well. What a wonderful clump of adventure gaming for $25 total.
This discussion has been closed.