Game runs sluggish on my pc

edited September 2010 in Game Support
My PC:

2 ghz AMD Processor
1.5 gb Ram
256mb GeForce FX 5500

I meet the system requirements just fine but the game runs very choppy for me. I've still been trying to play it but it's getting frustrating with the mouse cursor chopping all over the screen. Is there anyway to fix this? I've ended every process running on my pc that I can and I even have it running in 640*480 mode (which helps a little but doesn't solve the problem enough) I'm using XP btw. I don't know if there is some setting I can change for my gfx card to help, I did go in and set it to performance rather than quality already though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Uh... What game?
  • edited September 2010
    Oh, sorry. I'm talking about Puzzle Agent.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Have you tried the Tales of Monkey Island demo? It could be useful to know how it runs on your system, because someone with the same card had acceptable results at low quality settings. In ToMI there is a graphics quality setting from 1-9. PA doesn't have that though. It would be interesting how ToMI performs on your system it quality 3 and 4.

A few more details would be helpful too. Please post a dxdiag log.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited September 2010
    I had the same problem, I solved it this way:

Download RivaTuner, open it, click in the side of your VGA name, Directx Options, and check Force Pixel Shader 1.4. Reboot your computer and play the game :D

My VGA is a FX5500, this is because it is slow in DX9 and faster in DX8 (pixel shader 1.4)

I'm leaving home now, I'll detail it more later.
    Good luck :D
  • edited September 2010
    Worked like a charm Link. Thanks a lot for the help i really appreciate it. It's awesome that you've only made one post on this forum and it was the one that helped me out. Thanks man.
This discussion has been closed.