S+M S3 completely unplayable!

edited September 2010 in Game Support
I've tried both Mac and Windows versions. Both versions the opening animation plays at around 1 frame every 2-4 seconds

The windows version has the added "bonus" of the menus moving at the same pace. the Mac version has 1/3 or more of the polygons shaded incorrectly (i.e. part of max is white and part is a light grey)

Windows Specs:
Windows 7 pro 64-bit
2.6ghz Athelonx2 64-bit
3gb RAM
256gb Radeon X1300 Video card
(tried with all compatibility mode settings)

Macbook book Specs:
OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
2gb RAM
1.86 ghz CoreDuo Processor
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory

Is there anything I can do or did I just waste my $$$ until I can upgrade to an even more powerful Desktop?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Both the Radeon X1300 and GMA950 are weak graphics cards, and you're gonna struggle to run the game with them.

I managed to play through the whole of S&M3 (albeit with extreme lag, random artifacts, dodgy shading) on a laptop with a 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo and the GMA950, but at graphics level 1 with the resolution turned down to (I think) 960x600. From what I know, the GMA950 drivers on osx don't allow it to use the 224mb shared memory it can on windows, so you can try running windows on your laptop in bootcamp and see what happens.

For your desktop, all I can recommend is turning the graphics down to level 1~2, and decreasing the resolution of the game until it's playable.

If this doesn't work/satisfy you, you can always ask TellTale for a refund, which I've heard they usually provide. It won't be a "waste of $$$".
  • edited September 2010
    Or you can wait till you can upgrade your desktop, which will save you from the bother of asking for a refund and then rebuying the whole game all over again...
  • edited September 2010
    It's unplayable even on LVL 1 on radeon...

But in a stroke of dumb luck appropriate to Sam and Max themselves, I tried plugging my monitor into the crappy on-board Nvidea chipset... and d*** if it didnt work fine on like lvl 3 or 4!

Hard to believe onboard chipset was more capable than the 256mb graphics card...
  • edited September 2010
    Ashton wrote: »
    It's unplayable even on LVL 1 on radeon...

But in a stroke of dumb luck appropriate to Sam and Max themselves, I tried plugging my monitor into the crappy on-board Nvidea chipset... and d*** if it didnt work fine on like lvl 3 or 4!

Hard to believe onboard chipset was more capable than the 256mb graphics card...

Could you provide some more details on the nvidea card? It seems odd that it should work better.
  • edited September 2010
    Avocado02 wrote: »
    Could you provide some more details on the nvidea card? It seems odd that it should work better.

Attached is the DXdiag on the card. if you need more info I'll go pull the mobo box out and look up the full specs
This discussion has been closed.