The Launcher for Tales of Monkey Isle has no start button!!!

edited December 2010 in Game Support
Hi I have just installed tales of Monkey Isle on my new win7 64bit laptop and the game sections all installed without error but when I go to start the game all I am met with is the tellTale launcher with no kind of start button to launch the game!

My System specs are as follows:

Acer Aspire 5553G:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 N930 (2.0Ghz 2MB L2),Memory: 4GB DDR3 RAM, HDD: Toshiba 320GB SATA 2, Graphics: ATI Mobillity Radeon HD5470 (750Mhz and 512MB GDDR3) and Sound: Creative X-Fi Go

Iv'e attached an image of the useless launch menu here so you can see, hope this helps and thank very much for your help.

Other info if relevent: Default Browser: Mozilla Firefox 3.6, IE explorer 8 64bit is also installed but not set as default browser.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I'm also having this problem and not just with TOMI but all of the S&M episodes that I've tried had the same problem. I just upgraded to win7 and then this started happening before this I had no problem.

I have Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family on my laptop.

Please let me know if you find a solution.

I also have the most recent versions of Firefox and Internet Explorer and Firefox is my default browser.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Does this also happen during a clean boot?

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited December 2010
    yeah I tried a clean boot and still had the problem.

I don't know if this helps or not but after posting above I tried the episodes from Devil's Playhouse and didn't have the problem.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    rlowy86 wrote: »
    yeah I tried a clean boot and still had the problem.

I don't know if this helps or not but after posting above I tried the episodes from Devil's Playhouse and didn't have the problem.

Did you install all the latest windows updates?

A dxdiag log might be useful too.

Do you have the DVD Version of ToMI as well? In case nothing helps, you should be able to run it, because it uses an entirely different launcher, or none, depending on how you start the game.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited December 2010
    I think that everything is as updated as I can make it. I just bought TOMI in the 30 days sale so I don't have the DVD yet. here is the dxdiag as well. Thanks.
  • edited December 2010
    whoops sorry that was an old one here's the new one.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I've found two other threads about a similar issue here and here.
    From a quick look at them you should make sure that javascript is not disabled in internet explorer, and that you've run the DirectX updater.

If those attempts fail, i would also try running the game in compatibility modes for older windows versions ( XP or Vista).
  • edited December 2010
    no that doesn't help either. I found a post that you made to a similar problem here: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20798 and there you said that it had something to do with newer versions of internet explorer or the %temp% file. is there a way to get around that or is that something that can't be fixed? also I tried the new ie9 beta on the off chance it would help and it made it worse now even clicking where the button should be doesn't help. is telltale going to make an update for the launcher or are we all doomed to clicking invisible boxes?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    IE 8 is fine for the games. Since you have Windows 7, it was implied that you have a recent version of Internet explorer. I don't know about IE 9 Beta and how the games react to it.

The launchers of the later games don't depend on Internet Explorer anymore. I don't know how much work it would be for TTG to repack the previous games with the Qt/Webkit Launcher, but considering these problems some people have it is something that should be worth considering.

I am not an expert on these Launcher issues, it's probably better to write to support@telltalegames.com about it and link to this thread.
  • edited December 2010
    I just had to re-install windows for other reasons and when I finished re-installing everything suddenly it worked perfectly. Not sure what changed.
This discussion has been closed.