Sailor Moon Reference? 305 - Potential spoiler

LevLev
edited October 2010 in Sam & Max
Potential Spoiler - When you gain control of max's arms and legs in 305, he spins and does a pose. It seems a lot like the Sailor Moon transformation sequences.. Did anyone else think that?

Here's a video of one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prIB79HtPRA

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Yeah, I think they intended for it to be a spoof of Sailor Moon, which is great, since I grew up with it like every little girl.
  • edited September 2010
    I sure noticed it! I grew up with that show! I was stunned because I was expecting a Power Rangers or Voltron reference, the way Sybil, Papierwaite, and Sam were talking. Sailor Moon came completely from left field!
  • edited September 2010
    I was also either expecting a Voltron or a Transformers joke first because of the Maimtrons, but then I was STARVING for one of them or a Power Rangers one because of all the talk about getting the control of Max's limbs... All that expectations and all I got is this lousy Sailor-Moon reference.

...I'm kidding, I was laughing like hell.
  • edited September 2010
    Wow, I'm a Sailor Moon fan and did not notice this.

Can't wait to replay this episode now!
  • edited September 2010
    I thought it was a Japanese/Anime in general reference.
  • edited September 2010
    I loved the sailor moon pose! Sailor Max!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2010
    I think it was Jessica (she animated the scene) who came up with the idea of it being Sailor Moon inspired. It was originally written as a more action anime/Voltron pose in the script, but we already had so much stuff with the angular radio screens flying in and out and stuff, that when doing a goofy/sassy Sailor Moon style "salute" pose came up, there was no question.
  • bubbledncrbubbledncr Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2010
    So here's how it went: I had "max monster anime pose" assigned to me, so I went up to Nick, who was putting together that sequence, and asked, "do you want like, power rangers or sailor moon?" and he liked the idea of sailor moon, but said I should ask Jake. So I went to ask Jake, who was all, "sailor moon?" At which point, Robert pops his head up and is all, "OMG, make him do sailor moon!" and basically brought up that youtube video on the spot.

So I went back to my desk, watched a bunch of Sailor Moon videos, and decided that one was the coolest. I started animating that entire sequence (matching the timing and poses exactly), but it was gonna go way over budget, and I kind of thought someone would get upset if Max did a whole...30 second long transformation, so I cut it down to just the spin.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2010
    I don't know if we could have done that glitter overlay effect when he "transforms" anyway, so we would have had to resort to showing him nude which doesn't sit well with American audiences.
  • edited September 2010
    But Max is always naked! :D

I have never watched Sailor Moon, and yet I knew it was an anime magical girl transformation sequence. I was all "OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!"

XD
  • edited September 2010
    That whole sequence caught me completely off guard. I just sat there staring at the screen in utter disbelief then laughed for nearly 5 minutes:D
  • LevLev
    edited October 2010
    Wow, the entire sequence would've been awesome! But this was still daaaaamn great!

Keep up the good work!

(Would love to see max in a sailor moon outfit sometime though :p, just dye those ears blonde :p)
  • edited October 2010
    crfh wrote: »
    But Max is always naked! :D

I have never watched Sailor Moon, and yet I knew it was an anime magical girl transformation sequence. I was all "OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!"

XD

Megas xlr spoofed sailor moon pretty well as well (that cartoon had pretty similar humor to sam and max, but earthworm jim was a lot closer in retrospect).

On topic that scene made me laugh My ass off, wonder what happened in

SPOILER

other maxs timeline where sam was a giant electric monster, did they get eaten by him and control him going around the city? picturing a giant sam attacking a fudgecicle factory and pulling off a similar sailor moon joke but making sam carry on and making him dance like the samoncula near the end of 304 would've been funny.

END OF SPOILER
  • edited October 2010
    yeah I saw that pose and immediately recognized it...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.