What type of DRM will the Season 3 DVD have?

edited October 2010 in Sam & Max
Will it have disc check (S&M 1&2, SBCG4AP), Online Activation (W&G) or no DRM? (Tales)

I'm not sure if this should be in the support section, but I'm just curious.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Will it have disc check (S&M 1&2, SBCG4AP), Online Activation (W&G) or no DRM? (Tales)

I can see no hardship in putting a DVD in a disk drive, for myself.

(Anyone know when despatch is likely to be?)
  • I'm interested to hear too. DRM free like Tales would be lovely but I don't mind disc checks. Please not the W&G nightmare again though! =P
  • edited October 2010
    This may be a silly question, but would someone please be so kind as to explain each of them fully, and if it would be worth re-installing the episodes? I may be getting the DVDs soon (I ordered season 3, but I may order the rest this week) and I think I will re-install TOMI for the Earl Boen update.
  • edited October 2010
    Nintomster wrote: »
    This may be a silly question, but would someone please be so kind as to explain each of them fully, and if it would be worth re-installing the episodes? I may be getting the DVDs soon (I ordered season 3, but I may order the rest this week) and I think I will re-install TOMI for the Earl Boen update.

- Disc check: you install from the disc, then you need the DVD in the drive to play the game.
    - W&G-type: you still download the games and need to be online, it's similar to burning the install files on a disc yourself (but with bonuses)
    - No DRM: you install from the disc but don't need it inside to play.

If you still have the episodes installed, I would say it's probably not worth reinstalling them. I doubt the version will be dramatically different from whichever version you do have (unlike, for instance, the Boen version of Tales Chapter 1, which is a significant enough difference). If yours worked fine, then keep using them. You might want to use the disc for other computers so you don't have to download the episodes (which uses bandwidth and can take a while. Plus it uses activation codes but you'd need to install on like 20 computers before you run ou of them so it's not really a concern for the average user).
  • edited October 2010
    Right, thanks Avistew!
  • edited October 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    If you still have the episodes installed, I would say it's probably not worth reinstalling them. I doubt the version will be dramatically different from whichever version you do have (unlike, for instance, the Boen version of Tales Chapter 1, which is a significant enough difference). If yours worked fine, then keep using them. You might want to use the disc for other computers so you don't have to download the episodes (which uses bandwidth and can take a while. Plus it uses activation codes but you'd need to install on like 20 computers before you run ou of them so it's not really a concern for the average user).

There is another advantage to installing off the disc in the no DRM scenario. Installing off the disc removes the launcher menu, so you can go directly to the game.
  • edited October 2010
    There is another advantage to installing off the disc in the no DRM scenario. Installing off the disc removes the launcher menu, so you can go directly to the game.

True!

It also means your time playing the DVD won't be counted on the website as time playing the games. Which can be good, bad, or neutral, depends on how you see it.
  • edited October 2010
    I can see no hardship in putting a DVD in a disk drive, for myself.

(Anyone know when despatch is likely to be?)

Agreed... hopefully it's just a disc check or DRM-free, either is fine. Activation DRM is a no-no though, for me. The only reason I never complained about it for Telltale games was because of the DRM-free discs we got later.

And yeah, any news on a DVD yet? I noticed they have a retail DVD coming out in just a few weeks!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.