Sam and Max 301 runs very slowly

edited October 2010 in Game Support
Well, Sam and Max Seasons 1 and 2 ran just fine on my machine, so I was a little disheartened to find that Episode 1 of Season 3 barely runs at all. The animation and sound lags horribly, and the mouse barely moves at all on the menu screen.

I checked the game's system requirements, and none of my system's specs looked out of date except for my memory -- the required amount of RAM is 1 GB and I just have 0.99 GB, but that hardly seems like a deficiency that would impact this game's performance that much.

I've tried updating DirectX and my Nvidia video card's driver, but it turns out they were already up to date, so that didn't help. I noticed a few other threads here reporting similar problems with replies asking the original posters to post info obtained from the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. I might as well do that now to save myself the trouble of doing it later.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

EDIT: Sorry for not mentioning this before, but I'm running Windows XP SP3 on a Pentium 4, 3.06 GHz, 0.99 GB RAM.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    Driver Date/Size: 5/16/2008 14:01:00, 6108928 bytes

You have a quite slow graphics card. The Game Engine changed a lot from S2 to S3 and can require more performance now, though with much better looking Graphics.

You can try reducing the graphics quality setting to 1. If that's not enough you can start reducing the screen resolution.
    Description: Realtek HD Audio output
    Date and Size: 9/23/2005 19:56:28, 3966976 bytes

Updating to the latest Realtek HDA driver might help a bit too.
  • edited October 2010
    Looks like lowering the graphics quality was all it took to fix this problem. Makes me wish I'd thought to look for that option earlier.

Thank you for your help!
This discussion has been closed.