Monkey Island 102 (Spinner Cay) graphical freeze

edited October 2010 in Game Support
Up until this point, Monkey Island 101 and 102 had been fine on graphical setting "9". But when Guybrush leaves Spoon Isle, it goes to the map (with the raft and the ship blockade) and then I click on the blockade he says something like "this looks like a weak point in the blockade" but at that point the graphics freezes, the sound continues and the application takes up 100% CPU usage. I then have to end it with Ctrl-Alt-Del/task manager.

Tried going down to graphics setting "1" but the same thing happens.

Should I verify my installation files?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I should probably say I'm playing this game on a PC with Windows XP 32-bit. Graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 3850.
  • edited October 2010
    Although restarting the computer didn't help, I re-downloaded the install file.

The checksums on both the installers were the same, so I'm guessing exactly the same file. But when I reinstalled using one of them, the game managed to get past the point I was having trouble (though it's still a bit temperamental and just froze again later on).
  • edited October 2010
    Finally! Got it stable to run all the way to the end. Hopefully the next episodes won't be so temperamental.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2010
    The checksums on both the installers were the same, so I'm guessing exactly the same file. But when I reinstalled using one of them, the game managed to get past the point I was having trouble (though it's still a bit temperamental and just froze again later on).

That sounds a bit odd, as if the game was corrupted during installation the first time. It could be an issue with your drivers or hardware.

Please post a dxdiag log.

You might also want to check that your memory, CPU and hard disks are working properly (e.g. using Memtest 86+, prime95 and CrystalDiskInfo respectively).

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited October 2010
    Here it is.

It's not the first time I've had problems with my graphics card but I've never quite been able to trace the source of the problems. It'll be fine for months, but particular games will make it corrupt or freeze, particularly if I've been running for a long time or with a lot of other things running. I don't think it's cooling problems any more (I fixed a broken fan last year), not sure if it ever hits the limit of my 380W power supply.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series
    Driver Date/Size: 12/11/2009 21:25:22, 300544 bytes

Description: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio
    Date and Size: 7/26/2005 07:01:56, 415360 bytes

I would start with installing the latest Graphics drivers.

What looks more scary is your sound drivers... from 2005?
    The latest i found from nvidia is this one with a similar date.
    The good news is though, that you should be able to install the Realtek AC97 Drivers instead, which are a bit younger.

I would give it a try, and check if it fixes some of your issues.
This discussion has been closed.