Hotel Dusk - The Thread!

edited December 2007 in General Chat
I recently finished this, and I know that Emily has been frantically trying to track down a copy (any luck on that yet?). I figure that a few of you have been trying to hunt this little gem down.

Any thoughts?

I love it. It's an early contender for game of the year in my book. Any fan of adventure games (and I think that includes most of you) should track this down and play it.

Now, I'm interested in what Telltale could come up with for the DS.

For those who want to know more, I wrote some impressions.

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    Hi Greg!

I finally bought it on Sunday and have put in a few hours. So far I'm enjoying it, although I have a few nitpicks about the controls. For some reason my brain is having a hard time getting used to holding the DS vertically and I'm having trouble using the touch screen to move, and looking at the left screen to see where I'm going. (This isn't necessary, but it looks nicer if you watch the left screen than if you watch the right!)

Too early in for me to have a real opinion about the story or puzzles, but so far, so good.
  • edited January 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Hi Greg!

I finally bought it on Sunday and have put in a few hours. So far I'm enjoying it, although I have a few nitpicks about the controls. For some reason my brain is having a hard time getting used to holding the DS vertically and I'm having trouble using the touch screen to move, and looking at the left screen to see where I'm going. (This isn't necessary, but it looks nicer if you watch the left screen than if you watch the right!)

Too early in for me to have a real opinion about the story or puzzles, but so far, so good.

I thought that the vertical part was a plus (sort of like holding a book), but I do agree with you about the looking at both screens at once. In general, I just watched the touch screen while moving.

Not to get too far off topic, but how are you liking Phoenix Wright: JFA so far?
  • edited January 2007
    I've been enjoying phoenix wright:JFA.. its a lot of text to scroll through.. but the cases are quite interesting :) hotel dusk is on my wish list
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    Still haven't had a chance to play this, despite raving reviews from seemingly everyone ever .... It's next on my list after I complete Justice For All, though.

I'm not entirely into the supernatural amulet giving you mental lock breaking powers... that seems unnecessarily sequeley to me, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. The paranormal channeling thing didn't irk me as much in the first game, and I really wasn't expecting there to be more of it in the second one. Actually, I was expecting less of it, especially after the (bonus) fifth case in the first one was so focused on evidence and interrogation and left the craziness up to the actual characters and scenarios. I know that last case was probably more representative of whatever the fourth Ace Attorney game will be like than the second, but it was surprising to suddenly have the screen flash blue and have paranormal chains and stuff come flying in in the middle of my witness interviews.

Anyway, I'm apparently dedicating a lot more time than I intended to what is only a little minor thing that I'm sure I'll get used to and enjoy (if only from an added-gameplay perspective) pretty quickly.

Also, howdy! 4cr is a great site!
  • edited January 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Also, howdy! 4cr is a great site!

Thanks! I tend to lurk here from time to time, so I figured that I'd finally start posting.

While we're on the subject of Phoenix Wright, the last case in Justice for All really blew me away. It's my favorite in the entire series. I won't spoil it, but it really poses some interesting moral questions. Adds some good drama to the plot.
  • edited January 2007
    Cool, 4cr is on my daily newsround.

Havnt gotten either yet, too many expenses on other things right now unfortunately. Actually havnt even got the first Phoenix game or Lost in Blue.
    Hmm todays payday..
  • edited January 2007
    Is this game, along with it predessors, with getting a DS Lite for? You guys have piqued my interest. Looks really good.
  • edited January 2007
    Rasher wrote: »
    Is this game, along with it predessors, with getting a DS Lite for? You guys have piqued my interest. Looks really good.

Absolutely. The DS goes everywhere with me. There are tons of great games out for it, even a mini-revival of the adventure genre (Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, both Phoenix Wright games, Touch Detective).
  • edited January 2007
    Hotel Dusk is probably the best graphic adventure game since Grim Fandango, likely, which was the last game to have a comparably compelling narrative and as low a count of frustrating puzzles. I'll post a link to my review when it goes up on my site.
    edited January 2007
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    I haven't started Phoenix Wright yet. So few adventure games come out for the DS, I like to savor them, so I probably won't start that one until I've finished Hotel Dusk. (I played the first PW game in bits and pieces over nine months!)

Regarding the DS in general, it is a wonderful system and totally worth buying. I don't own any other console but I love my DS. It is great to travel with and to play while lying around on the couch. :D
  • edited January 2007

:D :D :D :D
  • edited January 2007
    Here's a link to my review:

http://www.ampednews.com/gamehub/hotel-dusk-room-215-ds/review/915/

Needless to say, buying Hotel Dusk is an excellent idea.
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks guys. I will most definately be looking into it this weekend. The best graphics adventure since Grim Fandango is very high praise. I might even get my nieces into graphics adventures since they love the DS :p
  • edited January 2007
  • edited January 2007
    but it was surprising to suddenly have the screen flash blue and have paranormal chains and stuff come flying in in the middle of my witness interviews.

Sounds like Hellraiser.
  • edited February 2007
    ok I broke down and bought this one at an import games shop. Haven't played it enough to give a review yet but I really like what I see so far. I really hope for more adventure games on the ds and hopefully wii.

This game reminds me a bit of eve burst error. A graphic novel anime game.

It is listed as a "top dog" at the underdogs site.

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1704

(note this is NOT a link to abandonware but a review)
  • edited February 2007
    I'm not entirely into the supernatural amulet giving you mental lock breaking powers... that seems unnecessarily sequeley to me, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

When I first read about that, I was really put off by it, but gameplay-wise, it basically takes some of the court action into the evidence collection sequences, which is a plus.
    Still haven't finished the game, but it seems to be getting interesting (I'm in the middle of the third case right now)
    edited February 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    When I first read about that, I was really put off by it, but gameplay-wise, it basically takes some of the court action into the evidence collection sequences, which is a plus.

Yeah agreed. It's already grown on me a lot. I like that it makes the evidence gathering part feel at least a little bit more than a "click everything once to win" scenario.
  • edited February 2007
    I just bought a DS Lite with Justice For All (they were out of Hotel Dusk ... aw). I love it! Thanks guys. I have Hotel Dusk on order and I figure ut should keep me until Episode 4 or Sam and Max comes along.

The first thing my brother said when he saw it was" "Why didn't you get Mario?" :D
    edited February 2007
    If you enjoy Justice for All you should go back and play the first game in the series (just called "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney").
  • edited February 2007
    I can't seem to find the first one in the series.
    I would like to try it as well as trauma center
  • edited February 2007
    If you enjoy Justice for All you should go back and play the first game in the series (just called "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney").

yeah, you should. Actually you should play the first first, since many characters from the first reappear in the second one. It's a lot more fun if you know the first one (which is also a bit better in my opinion (better story)).

And if you can't find the first one anywhere in the US, the japanese version includes the english translation! I have played the japanese versions of both PW...
  • edited February 2007
    Looking for info on the game I found this funny youtube video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jns2Dlv9S9w
  • edited February 2007
    axelkothe wrote: »
    yeah, you should. Actually you should play the first first, since many characters from the first reappear in the second one. It's a lot more fun if you know the first one (which is also a bit better in my opinion (better story)).

I am seriously thinking about it. I'm only on the second case and I'm dying to know what happened between Pheonix and Von Karma.

If my local stores are out I just might order it from Amamzon ... and then I'm set until spring LOL!
  • edited February 2007
    Rasher wrote: »
    I am seriously thinking about it. I'm only on the second case and I'm dying to know what happened between Pheonix and Von Karma.

If my local stores are out I just might order it from Amamzon ... and then I'm set until spring LOL!

Try Toys R' Us. They seem to have more copies of it than other stores (and only charge $20).
  • edited December 2007
    Really sorry to bump up this ten month old thread, but I just got Hotel Dusk for Christmas and it is by far one of my favourite DS games. I sure hope Cinq produce some kind of sequel.
    I reviewed the game here.
  • edited December 2007
    Really sorry to bump up this ten month old thread, but I just got Hotel Dusk for Christmas and it is by far one of my favourite DS games. I sure hope Cinq produce some kind of sequel.
    I reviewed the game here.

i agree i picked it up in February (in NY)and i have played through twice loved it as well as another code
Sign in to comment in this discussion.