Are Sam and Max supposed to be middle-aged?

edited February 2007 in Sam & Max
I was just replaying culture shock, and I had this somewhat frightening revelation. Wouldn't they have to be at least 40 to watch the soda popper's show in the '70's?

Or are we just supposed to think they're ageless and ignore that kind of continuity crap? :)

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Kefky wrote: »
    I was just replaying culture shock, and I had this somewhat frightening revelation. Wouldn't they have to be at least 40 to watch the soda popper's show in the '70's?

Or are we just supposed to think they're ageless and ignore that kind of continuity crap? :)

I'm 32 - and I remember watching T.V. programmes in the 70's :p
  • edited February 2007
    or maybe it does not play nowadays but when for example hit the road came out, which would mean that they were now about 30... which sounds way better
  • edited February 2007
    Or maybe they just saw reruns of the series or watched them on video. But I'd vote for the "ageless and ignore it" option; after all the Soda Poppers don't look their age either, do they?
    But to humor the train of thought, I don't see any particular reason for Sam not to be middle-aged. As for Max, I think it's safe to say that his youthful spirit has more to do with his many mental issues than with whatever his actual age may be; given that lagomorph physiology isn't the most well-understood topic his age is really anyones guess.:p
  • edited February 2007
    Harald B wrote: »
    Or maybe they just saw reruns of the series or watched them on video. But I'd vote for the "ageless and ignore it" option; after all the Soda Poppers don't look their age either, do they?

I always figured they were middle-aged midgets. Brady Culture certainly looks that old.

But to humor the train of thought, I don't see any particular reason for Sam not to be middle-aged. As for Max, I think it's safe to say that his youthful spirit has more to do with his many mental issues than with whatever his actual age may be; given that lagomorph physiology isn't the most well-understood topic his age is really anyones guess.:p

All very good points. :D
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    The Soda Poppers had their growth stunted because they drank so much soda. :D

Also I think the comics refer to Max having only a six-year lifespan...
  • edited February 2007
    Emily wrote: »

Also I think the comics refer to Max having only a six-year lifespan...

How is he still around, then? Body implants? :eek:
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    Steve's comics portray them as having been kids together, and yet Sam's comments about Max often indicate that Max is a lot younger. Apparently they do not age at the same rate - something about dog-years vs lagomorph-years....
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    the Soda Poppers don't look their age either, do they?

the only telltale sign is the 5 o'clock shadows and wisps of graying hair
  • edited February 2007
    Kefky wrote: »
    How is he still around, then? Body implants? :eek:

Maybe Sam's parents just keep buying him new rabbits that look the same so he won't be sad :)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    Maybe Sam's parents just keep buying him new rabbits that look the same so he won't be sad :)

That would explain why Max's voice keeps changing! :D
  • edited February 2007
    I don't know, I think Sam has a doctor Frankenstein thing going in the back of the office... Remember that comment he made about Max not having the same brain he had last week?

Maybe it's a Venture bros. situation. Every time Max gets into trouble, he gets killed, and Sam clones him.
  • edited February 2007
    Well, he did get regenerated in Bad Day on the Moon.
  • edited February 2007
    despite what Max says about his life-expectancy, I believe he's immortal.
  • edited February 2007
    Maybe they watched The Soda Poppers on Nick at Nite?
  • edited February 2007
    pheeph wrote: »
    despite what Max says about his life-expectancy, I believe he's immortal.

Or at least indestructable.
  • edited February 2007

O_O

Remind me to never audition for the role of Max's voice.
  • edited February 2007
    I'm going to lose sleep over this. :)
  • edited February 2007
    After hit the road I heard they went down the whole walt disney path.. that explains Max's youthful glow in the new episodes.. Being cryogenically frozen is good for the pores
  • edited February 2007
    It could be that MAx is a robot like the scientist in hit the road or gets cloned every six years.

I wonder if Steve purcell will ever explain this
  • edited February 2007
    Yeah, the timeline confused me, so I stopped thinking about it. If Max's life expectancy is that short, and Sam and Max were kids at the same time, he'd be dead already. Or something. M - maybe he is some kind of zombie now! That would certainly explain some things.

Also why are they a dog and a rabbit anyway, and why don't any of the humans notice? THIS IS HIGHLY UNREALISTIC. YOU HEAR ME, PURCELL? ):
  • edited February 2007
    It's a mystery, but not as big a mystery as how Sam manages to look so suave in a suit.
    edited February 2007
    I think what happened is that Sam & Max was invented in the 70s and then never really modernized. Also I think this is for the best.
  • edited February 2007
    They're invinciple! :P
  • edited February 2007
    This has already been answered in the first ever machinima short!
    Max: Preservatives, you say. Does that mean if I eat enough hot dogs I can stay young forever?

Sam: You'd probably wind up like some kind of horrifically mummified Joan Riversy creature.

Max: Wow, that'd'a be great! Grrr! Beware my insidious desiccating mummy's touch!

Sam: You know, I'm not as hungry as I was when we got here. Maybe we should skip the franks and go bowling.
  • edited February 2007
    tabacco wrote: »

Oh geez, you guys make me laugh.

Maybe the entire existence of S&M is like a season of 24... all occurring within the period of one day. So, everything in the comics, everything in the television series, and everything in the games has all happened in less than 24 hours. My guess is 13 hours 14 minutes and 1 second.
  • edited February 2007
    lf that was the case, then one has to throw out all the dates Sam speaks of when referring to Calenders, food, etc... in the office.

It is possible that the moon men probably gave Sam and Max some sort of serium that makes them immortal or that the metal plate in Max's head is really an artificial brain, thus making Max a cybrog and keepin him alive for all these years.

Or Sam and Max could just be men in giant dog and rabbit costumes
    edited February 2007
    Maybe they're a dog and a rabbit in oversized dog and rabbit costumes?
  • edited February 2007
    medmaxpn9.gif :Good thing my life expectancy is only 6 years.
  • edited February 2007
    Max is definately some kind of undead creature. ;P Sometimes there are references and questions about why they are animals in the games too. The "secret service" agent makes a comment about that at the begining of episode 4, for example. Sam & Max, the world they are in, and the things they go through aren't really supposed to make sense. They're just supposed to be funny... I guess. :p
  • edited February 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    They're invinciple! :P

I was invinciple once - but it gave me a rash :(
  • edited February 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Maybe they're a dog and a rabbit in oversized dog and rabbit costumes?

So Sam is a rabbit in a dog costume, and Max is a dog in a rabbit costume?
    Finally it all makes sense!
    edited February 2007
    You never know.
  • edited February 2007
    I wonder if Max is a regular, non talking rabbit that was possessed by the Devil, who decided to turn over a new leaf and repent for his past crimes by becomming a detective
  • edited February 2007
    He turned over a new leaf by gnawing on people's craniums and having a love for gratuitous bloodshed? :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.