Awesome, Yeah, Meh, What?!

edited October 2010 in Sam & Max
I've seen a number of The Best Ep. in Season..." "The Worst Ep of All Time..." etc.

But, for the most part, there wasn't one single Ep I could claim as liking the "best" or the "worst", rather, I split them into four categories-

"Awesome"- You couldn't make this episode better if you tired.
"Yeah!"- It was pretty darn good, but there was this one thing that bothered you...
"Meh"- Kinda like plain doughnuts. They're not bad, but you feel like you're missing something big. Like chocolate, or at the very least some sifted sugar.
"What?!"- God, what the @#$% did I just play? Why, Telltale? Why? (This doesn't mean the games were inherently horrible, but they were the bottom of the bin BY COMPARISON)

Here's how I sort out the eps-

Awesome: Abe Lincoln Must Die!, Reality 2.0, Chariots of the Dogs, Beyond the Alley of the Dolls
Yeah!: Bright Side of the Moon, Ice Station Santa, Night of the Raving Dead, What's New Beelzebub, The Penal Zone, The City that Dare Not Sleep
Meh: Situation Comedy, Moai Better Blues, The Tomb of Sammun-Mak, They Stole Max's Brain!
What?!: Culture Shock, The Mole, The Mob and the Meatball

Comments

• edited October 2010
    "Awesome"- You couldn't make this episode better if you tired.

What if you're awake and lively?

Anyway: Just wondering, what was the one thing that bothered you about 'The Penal Zone'? I loved that episode and I honestly can't see a single thing you could possibly critique about it. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I'm just curious as to what bothered you about the game?
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah!- Moai Better Blues
    Awesome!- Everything else

...What can I say? I enjoyed everything and don't like ranking them.
  • edited October 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Anyway: Just wondering, what was the one thing that bothered you about 'The Penal Zone'? I loved that episode and I honestly can't see a single thing you could possibly critique about it. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I'm just curious as to what bothered you about the game?

Mind if I chime in about what I didn't like about The Penal Zone? No? Good.

For me, The Penal Zone just used the Future Vision power very poorly. Unlike later episodes that just gave vague clues in visions, the Penal Zone just plain gave away the puzzles. That wouldn't be quite as bad if there weren't puzzles that required you to use Future Vision. But because their were, I was constantly being told how to solve the puzzles on accident while trying to solve them myself. The result was a game that pretty much told you exactly what you need to do most of the time. If I had wanted puzzles spoiled for me, I'd have just read a walkthrough!

Thankfully, later episodes lowered the emphasis on future vision in puzzles and made the hint visions actual hints.
  • edited October 2010
    lombre wrote: »
    Mind if I chime in about what I didn't like about The Penal Zone? No? Good.

For me, The Penal Zone just used the Future Vision power very poorly. Unlike later episodes that just gave vague clues in visions, the Penal Zone just plain gave away the puzzles. That wouldn't be quite as bad if there weren't puzzles that required you to use Future Vision. But because their were, I was constantly being told how to solve the puzzles on accident while trying to solve them myself. The result was a game that pretty much told you exactly what you need to do most of the time. If I had wanted puzzles spoiled for me, I'd have just read a walkthrough!

Thankfully, later episodes lowered the emphasis on future vision in puzzles and made the hint visions actual hints.
    Bingo! Hit the nail on the head there. Penal Zone had some of the best jokes, great art, music, and writing, but it's reliance on FutureVision and it's use of locations for only one scene or puzzle like the pawn shop annoyed the bleep out of me.

Also, thanks for the typo catch. I'm close to blind and only catch mistakes the spellchrcker noticies. If it is a real word, I can't catch it.
  • edited October 2010
    I actually didn't mind the smaller locations. I think they worked well with the CrimeTron, and kinda served as the episode's "gimmick". If you think about it, every episode of the third season has had a unique gimmick. The Penal Zone had that clue-finding segment, Tomb of Sammun-Mak had the Astral Projection, They Stole Max's Brain had the interrogation, etc....
  • edited October 2010
    To me all of them are awesome, except Moai better blues which was meh... When I decide which episodes are the best, I say:

Season 1: Reality 2.0/Bright side of the moon
    Season 2: What's new, Beelzebub?
    Season 3: Beyond the alley of the dolls/The city that dares not sleep
Sign in to comment in this discussion.