Poker Night Slowness

edited November 2010 in Game Support
Hello there TTG fourms. I just downloaded PN with hopes of great poker fun. When I open the game, the TTG logo apears and then the menu appears. I try to move my cursor, but it moves with the speed of slo-mo in slo-mo IN SLO-MO. I manage to set the settings to low graphic and it still runs like slo-mo is in slo-mo and so forth. I also got to play about 5 minutes of it and it was VERY VERY VERY slow. The voices were fine but it was running terribly. Later, I unninstalled many unnessicary programs to fix the slow (not the graphics) but THAT didn't work.

Any help tips?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Same issue here.
  • edited November 2010
    I used to have this issue on Puzzle Agent, i haven`t played Poker Night yet, but MAYBE it is the same reason, your card supports pixel shader 2.0 but it is slower than 1.4, and the game insists on running @ 2.0.

This is a tutorial I posted on a topic some time ago.
    Download RivaTuner, open it, click in the side of your VGA name, Directx Options, and check Force Pixel Shader 1.4. Reboot your computer and play the game

But have in mind that this will force every 3D application to run under DX8.1 (AKA. newer games won`t run), I think there is an option to try that withou doing this procedure, through a software named 3DAnalyze, you choose the game executable, check the box limiting the game to run in pixel shader 1.4 and run it.

Well, could be an extremely different issue, but who knows, hope it helps.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2010
    On some machines I have heard that forcing anti-aliasing off in your card's driver settings for Poker Night will improve framerate pretty noticeably.
  • edited November 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    On some machines I have heard that forcing anti-aliasing off in your card's driver settings for Poker Night will improve framerate pretty noticeably.

Uhhh what? I'm sorry, I have ABOSOULUTLY no idea what forcing anti-aliasing in my card's driver settings is.

EDIT: Now re-downloading from Steam

EDIT 2: Didn't help at all. I asked my friend through Steam about forcing anti-aliasing in my card's driver settings. He said it was in-game. I looked at the graphics settings, chaned graphics to 1, turned off Shadow quality, and effects are on.

Still waiting for TTG assistance
  • edited November 2010
    I can't adjust my graphic or shadow settings, any help?
  • edited November 2010
    I can top that:
    I messed around with the graphics settings. Froze and crash. Now every time it starts up, it freezes and I have to force restart. Won't let me readjust the settings either. Uninstalled it and reinstalled it, no difference.
  • edited November 2010
    @ Mr. Rippe:

It sounds like you set something to a level your system can't handle (probably the Shadows setting). Try deleting the file named "prefs.prop" in the following location:

Documents\Telltale Games\Poker Night at the Inventory

This will return the game to its original default settings. Hope that helps!
  • edited November 2010
    I even deleted that to see what happens... Still didn't let me adjust anything.
    celebritypoker_2010-11-22_17-32-35-54.png
    Isn't there supposed to be arrows by the shadow and graphic setting?
  • edited November 2010
    Can anyone tell me what "Forcing Anti-Aliasing off in my card's driver settings" is or how to do it?
  • edited November 2010
    @ Jake Pride:

That is probably a video card issue. You might try updating your drivers. It's also possible that the buttons that will allow you to change the settings are actually useable, but you just can't see them. Try clicking about a half-inch to the left or right of the various settings.
  • edited November 2010
    I tried running the game again. The same problem is occuring and I still don't know what anti-aliasing is! Can someone PLEASE help me?!
  • edited November 2010

How do I do that?
  • edited November 2010
    Im having problems too.
    It is laggy as hell.
    It takes forever to load.
    There has to be a way to fix this. It is on the lowest setting possible.
  • edited November 2010
    Obviously we all have laggy framerate problems. Can we have some help peoples at the TellTales?
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah the way things are is I beat max out of his money(but he didnt bet his badge) about 10 minutes ago, and he is just now leaving.
    EDIT:Ha heavy made a joke about my lag it was taking so long for it to load and he said "HA not even I take this long to point
  • edited November 2010

I'd also appreciate to know how to do this :confused:
  • edited November 2010
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    I'd also appreciate to know how to do this :confused:

Please i must know this.
  • edited November 2010
    link_xt wrote: »
    I used to have this issue on Puzzle Agent, i haven`t played Poker Night yet, but MAYBE it is the same reason, your card supports pixel shader 2.0 but it is slower than 1.4, and the game insists on running @ 2.0.

This is a tutorial I posted on a topic some time ago.
    Download RivaTuner, open it, click in the side of your VGA name, Directx Options, and check Force Pixel Shader 1.4. Reboot your computer and play the game

But have in mind that this will force every 3D application to run under DX8.1 (AKA. newer games won`t run), I think there is an option to try that withou doing this procedure, through a software named 3DAnalyze, you choose the game executable, check the box limiting the game to run in pixel shader 1.4 and run it.

Well, could be an extremely different issue, but who knows, hope it helps.

This fixes the laggy mouse, black screen and crashes on resolution/fullscreen changes I was getting, but it still crashes after the intro.
  • edited November 2010
    I used 3DAnalyze to force max. pixel shader version 1.4, and the game works perfectly with no slowdown!

Except for the tiny, tiny fact that Tycho no longer has any color of any sort and is just a black silhouette.

I'm running with a Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family integrated graphics card if that helps anybody.
  • edited November 2010

Im going to bump this because I still have no clue how to turn this off.
  • edited November 2010
    reconetc wrote: »
    I used 3DAnalyze to force max. pixel shader version 1.4, and the game works perfectly with no slowdown!

Except for the tiny, tiny fact that Tycho no longer has any color of any sort and is just a black silhouette.

I'm running with a Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family integrated graphics card if that helps anybody.

Yep, tried this as well. Was amazed at how well it ran, but then I get to the table and Tycho is all black. :(

EDIT: I think I'm just going to be playing like this for now. It just runs so much better, with no mouse lag at all.

Any chance of TellTale making a shader 1.4 version of Tycho for all of us with older cards? :)
  • edited November 2010
    reconetc wrote: »

NoahWhtly wrote: »
    Yep, tried this as well. Was amazed at how well it ran, but then I get to the table and Tycho is all black. :(

EDIT: I think I'm just going to be playing like this for now. It just runs so much better, with no mouse lag at all.

Any chance of TellTale making a shader 1.4 version of Tycho for all of us with older cards? :)
    Could one of you guys link me this site. I find like 100 with google.
  • edited November 2010
    I have no idea what the hell happened but after I tried to use it it gave me an error and all my data got erased somehow and my settings went back to default, so yeah...
  • edited November 2010
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    I have no idea what the hell happened but after I tried to use it it gave me an error and all my data got erased somehow and my settings went back to default, so yeah...

That program they were talkinga about.
  • edited November 2010
    I assume it was, yeah. Only thing I did was click on "force 1.4" and then told it to run Poker Night. I have no idea what the hell happened since it works fine for them.
  • edited November 2010
    First post here!
    I open Poker Night, and see a nice menu, no background or anything. I click play and see some subtitles, and that's literally it. Graphicless at the Inventory. Just a black screen and subtitles, and the game crashes if I try to change the resolution. :confused:
  • edited November 2010
    brandonsh wrote: »
    First post here!
    I open Poker Night, and see a nice menu, no background or anything. I click play and see some subtitles, and that's literally it. Graphicless at the Inventory. Just a black screen and subtitles, and the game crashes if I try to change the resolution. :confused:

I tried to do a few things to fix it on Steam, and I've now upgraded to precisely this problem. In a nice little window, with the brand new addition of subtitles, but nowt else. I know we didn't pay much for this game, but I think everybody's just so shocked.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2010
    NoahWhtly wrote: »

The game probably runs better now, just because your GPU doesn't have the extra stress of rendering Tycho in the pixel shader at all.
    Even on my Radeon HD 4850 i can only play up to 1440x900 smoothly, although S&M S3 runs fine with highest details at 1920x1200.
    With PS 1.4 forced, i can play PNATI at 1920x1200 with highest settings at 60 fps, while i get 30-45 fps at best with Tycho visible.

Therefore i think a much better option than a Tycho for a lower pixel shader version would be an option to have Tycho rendered the way Max or Strongbad are. It wouldn't have the same comic look anymore, but that's a low price for having the game running smooth.
This discussion has been closed.