S&M E3 Fails to start - LP5 unpacking error

The error message I am getting is "Error while unpacking program, code LP5. Please report to author." After I click OK, I get to the main game launcher window. However, the game is not activated and gives me no option to activate or play it. I have the season subscription. Emily, please advise.

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    This is a problem I'm currently working on with Silicon Realms (the company that makes the activation software we use). It appears to be a conflict between the activation system and something else, but we're still trying to figure out what that something else is.

A few questions for you -

1) What virus scanner / anti-spyware software / firewall are you using?
    2) Did you have the same problem with episode 2? If not, can you give episode 2 a try now and see if you get the error?
    3) Are you an AOL user?

Thanks.
  • edited February 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    A few questions for you -

1) What virus scanner / anti-spyware software / firewall are you using?
    2) Did you have the same problem with episode 2? If not, can you give episode 2 a try now and see if you get the error?
    3) Are you an AOL user?

Thanks.

Hi Emily,

1) I use Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 and Windows Defender.
    2) Episode 1 and 2 run just fine on the same setup.
    3) No

Hope this helps.
    edited February 2007
    Thanks. :)
  • edited February 2007
    Any news??
  • edited February 2007
    You might try disabling your antivirus software and seeing if the game runs. Some antivirus apps are incorrectly detecting some of our games as security risks when they shouldn't be. As far as I know, AOL is the only antivirus supplier to push out a fix for this problem yet, unfortunately.
    edited February 2007
    No news yet. We are going to be creating a debug version of the game with help from Silicon Realms (the company that makes the activation software) and will be sending it out to a few people having this problem so Silicon Realms can hopefully figure out what's causing it. Creating a new build of the game like this takes resources that are already stretched very thin doing a lot of other things, but I'm hoping we'll be able to do it this week.
  • edited March 2007
    So, where is the debug version?
    edited March 2007
    We haven't been able to create it yet. When I said this week, I was overly optimistic (and downright wrong).

This is something we do want to take care of, but realistically I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

Please give episode 4 a try, because we have had reports of a change made in that episode resolving this problem. If episode 4 does not work for you and you don't want to wait any longer, I can refund your money for you. I know that's not the best solution but I don't expect to have a fix for this soon and I want to make sure you're taken care of.
  • edited April 2007
    All right. Ep 4 & 5 play just fine and really rock. So you are forgiven. It's only Ep 3 which is wretched broken.

So, I am looking forward to trying Ep 3 in the CD release. I am sure that you folks will do a marvelous job putting together the best S&M package ever. By the way, it would be a fabulous idea if the CD release is not merely a dump of all the episodes on a media, but actually stitch them together in one payable game. It shouldn't be hard to insert some cut scenes between the episodes to provide continuity - you've got the settings and the characters in place.
    edited April 2007
    By the way, it would be a fabulous idea if the CD release is not merely a dump of all the episodes on a media, but actually stitch them together in one payable game.

That's not going to happen (it actually is a hard thing to do ;)), but they'll probably have a unified launcher so you can easily launch whichever episode you want.

Glad to hear episodes 4 and 5 are working for you... 3 should be soon.
  • edited April 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    That's not going to happen (it actually is a hard thing to do ;)), but they'll probably have a unified launcher so you can easily launch whichever episode you want.

Have you guys/gals decided decided yet if the cd/dvd will use a cd/dvd protection of some kind(cd/dvd must be in drive to play the game type of thing) or if you will use some kind of online activation system(similar in some way to what the downloadable episodes are using right now)?

Hopefully I'm not nagging about this, just want to know before the summer is coming :cool:
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    we'll let you know when we know!
  • edited May 2007
    Auch. I got the LP5 bug again in Ep6. What did you guys do this time? :(
This discussion has been closed.