Poker Night at the Inventory Fails to Start

edited November 2010 in Game Support
I have made an account here simply because staring at the forums and not seeing other people with my problem has made me very frustrated.

I own the steam version of Poker Night. I have successfully started Poker Night exactly once.

As soon as it loaded (no graphical glitches evident) I promptly went to the settings area and maxed out all the graphical options (I figured my computer could probably handle them). No invisible text, no warped text, no glitched buttons or mouse lag, nothing. My last selection (a result of long experience) was resolution: 2560 x 1600, the native resolution of my monitor (a Dell WFP 3008).

Hang for 30 seconds.

Crash to desktop.

I figure no biggie, I try to start it again. My name goes green in the friends list, then promptly reverts to the blue of an online but not in-game player. This is all it does, wherever I try to launch it from.

File validations, cache defrags, delete the perfs.prop file in mydocs, delete the clientregistry.blob, restart steam, restart computer, two full reinstalls (one after doing a HDD-wide search for "poker" and deleting anything that could possibly be relevant), remove/reinstall/repair the Visual C++ thingy several times, and more than a few thousand expletives have left me with nothing to show for it but wasted time and seven hours of frustrated rage.

For reference, I present my system specs:

WinXP32
1 AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (3.2 GHz)
1 Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
4 gigs ram
plenty (excess of 100 gigabytes) of HDD space left.
1 Friends list of people playing Poker Night while I flail at my keyboard in impotent rage.

EDIT: I emailed Telltale support hours ago.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    This sounds incredibly similar to my story. I used a mac. I changed the screen size to what I thought were my specifications, then the game crashed ten minutes into a tournament. I un- and re-instaled Steam and Poker Night several times and it still won't work. I do get the game to start though but I can't see anything, I can only hear what I presume is the Telltale logo and main screen.

I thought Telltale was known for making good quality games that didn't stop working after ten minnutes. Was I thinking of a different company?
  • edited November 2010
    Now now, they make great games. The vast majority who are playing the game fine don't post. Their quick turnaround times can lead to issues with some people's setups.

Telltale have a good support response - though they are likely asleep presently. Hopefully your issues will be resolved tomorrow.
  • edited November 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Now now, they make great games. The vast majority who are playing the game fine don't post. Their quick turnaround times can lead to issues with some people's setups.

Telltale have a good support response - though they are likely asleep presently. Hopefully your issues will be resolved tomorrow.

I'm not disputing the quality of their games. I'm lamenting the fact I won't get to play the damn game before next week because of this. I'm leaving town for Thanksgiving Tuesday afternoon (I'm in California), and Monday was pretty much the only time I'd have gotten to play Poker Night before I get back.
This discussion has been closed.